Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost to make the move

Cost to make the move

Old Oct 11th 2017, 11:23 am
Banned

rsbhj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost to make the move

One thing I think is really missed when people are looking at making the move from UK - Aus is the cost involved to just get there and set up, if they have no job offer and doing it all themselves.

At the moment I am at a standstill as my occupation was removed form the list need to wait until next July to see if its back on.

How do the figures below look for making the move possible

£30k (flights, shipping, visa's family x 4, 3 months wages)
£10k (extra pot for the above)
£15-20k (buy 2 cars outright)

Total - £55-60k
Old Oct 12th 2017, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost to make the move

We spent around $50,000 AUD, but furnished initially from IKEA etc and it was just my wife and I. You could easily double that or more.

Remember that virtually everything needs to be re-purchased down to the forks and candlesticks.

Three months' wages, in my view, is not a deep enough cushion. Go for 12.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:32 pm
Banned

I worked the £30k out at approx

£8k Visas
£4K Flights
£6k Shipping
£12k 3 x months wages

£10k is for anything that we need to dig extra into

The cars well thats hopefully what that will be £15-20k

I would struggle to get 12 months wages but I guess there comes a time if work is not happening you have to return
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Everybody is different and depends what you are prepared to pay. A family of 4 I did it it for less than £20000 and that was with buying a car. Only had to pay medical costs as employer funded visas.After shipping,flights etc I took £10500 with me converted to about $17000. Gave myself 2 weeks before I started a planned job to sort everything. Bought car for $9000, payed short term rental,bond for long term rental and food. We managed no problem until the regular income came in
Old Oct 14th 2017, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

But getting a job within two weeks is unusual. I always advise people to have enough funds for living costs for a minimum of 3 months and ideally 6.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 11:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Everybody is different and depends what you are prepared to pay. A family of 4 I did it it for less than £20000 and that was with buying a car. Only had to pay medical costs as employer funded visas.After shipping,flights etc I took £10500 with me converted to about $17000. Gave myself 2 weeks before I started a planned job to sort everything. Bought car for $9000, payed short term rental,bond for long term rental and food. We managed no problem until the regular income came in
Thats great if you have a job lined up, but if not.....
Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:40 am
Banned

Yeah I would definitely be doing this all on our own no job to go to, no company to pay visa etc

The how much to take is the big question, right time right place and all good I think I’d be able to budget for another 3 months to allow 6 months but that would be the max.

Myself and wife and both said whoever gets work first full time, the aim is for me to work full time but when starting out it’s going whoever Gets the first opportunity.

The amounts of money is really starting to freak me out!! It is what it is but just huge amount
Old Oct 15th 2017, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved country many a time.

Costs can vary depending on how you do it.

Last time I moved it was $25k-$30k but I had someone else paying for it and I certainly did not do it on the cheap. Flights, expensive accom, lawyers, shipping, purchases of whitegoods, furniture, etc.

The time before that was a fraction of that cost. Flights, and a bit of accommodation at the other end. No shipping. Nothing else.

It varies.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

The cars seem excessive, you could go cheaper, get one car etc.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 10:49 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
The cars seem excessive, you could go cheaper, get one car etc.
Not always practical for a family - kids going to the interminable activities after school need a car, and if one parent has the car for work......
Old Oct 18th 2017, 7:20 pm
Banned

We have 2 cars in the uk just now. I can’t imagine how things would work with one car. A lot would depend on the work situation once there.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jhbsr
We have 2 cars in the uk just now. I can’t imagine how things would work with one car. A lot would depend on the work situation once there.

That's true. We've always had two cars till we moved from Darwin to Melbourne. Now we have one car and both commute to the city by train so it sits in the garage most of the time. No way would I drive into the CBD everyday x
Old Oct 20th 2017, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jhbsr
We (family) have 1 car. It only gets used on weekends and on the odd occasion on week days if I go to the office - that is rare. .... Sydney
Old Oct 20th 2017, 1:09 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Beoz
We (family) have 1 car. It only gets used on weekends and on the odd occasion on week days if I go to the office - that is rare. .... Sydney
How do your kids travel to their activities?
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

With the cars it really depends on your circumstance.

We live in a rural area. My wife works in Town A, I work in Towns B, C, and D, and we live in Town E. Two cars are essential.

However they are small, economical cars that combined cost us less than what your average Australian would pay for one car.

If we both worked in Town E, things here are walkable and we could get by on one old jalopy if need be.

Public transport is deceptively expensive. I do think that, for example in Perth - factoring in both expense and time, one is actually better off with a small cheap car than relying on TransPerth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.