Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:09 am   #1
komail Male
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 157
komail is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Hi guys,

Firstly I want to thank you guys. BritishExpats helped me a lot during my immigration process (PR) few year ago. Thank you!

Now, I will be moving to either Melbourne (40% chances) or Sydney (60% chances). In this regard, I need to compare cost of living in these two cities. Now, I know that Melbourne is less expensive then Sydney but I need this information to negotiate a better deal with my employer based on destination selection.

I am moving with family (wife + 2 school going kids (aged 11 and 6)). For now, my wife would not be working, so I would be sole earner of the family.

Can you guys give the Melbourne and Sydney estimated expenses against below:

Monthly Cost:
Furnished 2 Bedroom Apartment
Unfurnished 2 Bedroom Apartment
Furnished 3 Bedroom Apartment
Unfurnished 3 Bedroom Apartment
Utilities (Water + Electricity)
Monthly Internet + TV Cable
Average Mobile Phone
Monthly Grocery
Monthly School fee (if private school)
Any Medical Insurance Fees
Dining out once a week
Petrol, Parking, Car Service etc

One Time Cost:
Car (may be) Toyota Corolla (New)
Car (may be) Toyota Corolla (Old)
Driving License
School Admission Fees

Please also mention, if I have missed anything in above table.

Your help here is always appreciated.

Thanks
Komail Noori
__________________
Occupation: .NET Specialist - 175 Skill Independent
IELTS: 30 May 2009 - Overall Score: 7.5 (R7 W7.5 S7 L7.5)
ACS Skill Assessment: 17 July 2009 - Application Lodged: 24 July 2009
Status: Visa Granted - 23 September 2011
komail is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:55 am   #2
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,558
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by komail View Post
Hi guys,

Firstly I want to thank you guys. BritishExpats helped me a lot during my immigration process (PR) few year ago. Thank you!

Now, I will be moving to either Melbourne (40% chances) or Sydney (60% chances). In this regard, I need to compare cost of living in these two cities. Now, I know that Melbourne is less expensive then Sydney but I need this information to negotiate a better deal with my employer based on destination selection.

I am moving with family (wife + 2 school going kids (aged 11 and 6)). For now, my wife would not be working, so I would be sole earner of the family.

Can you guys give the Melbourne and Sydney estimated expenses against below:

Monthly Cost:
Furnished 2 Bedroom Apartment
Unfurnished 2 Bedroom Apartment
Furnished 3 Bedroom Apartment
Unfurnished 3 Bedroom Apartment
Utilities (Water + Electricity)
Monthly Internet + TV Cable
Average Mobile Phone
Monthly Grocery
Monthly School fee (if private school)
Any Medical Insurance Fees
Dining out once a week
Petrol, Parking, Car Service etc

One Time Cost:
Car (may be) Toyota Corolla (New)
Car (may be) Toyota Corolla (Old)
Driving License
School Admission Fees

Please also mention, if I have missed anything in above table.

Your help here is always appreciated.

Thanks
Komail Noori
It will take a good few hours to put this info together. Send me a private email with your address so I can send you an invoice.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:34 am   #3
NickyC Female
BE Forum Addict
 
NickyC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Sydney beachside
Posts: 3,453
NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Hmm. Don't you have Google in your country?
NickyC is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:08 pm   #4
teza Female
Aussie Finn Mixture!
 
teza's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
Posts: 1,071
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Petrol, rego, gas, car insurance, school extras (photos, excursion, swimming lessions, uniforms and book orders can be thousand + easy with couple of kids. Especially in high school)
teza is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:20 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Parnell
Posts: 410
Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by komail View Post
Hi guys,

Firstly I want to thank you guys. BritishExpats helped me a lot during my immigration process (PR) few year ago. Thank you!

Now, I will be moving to either Melbourne (40% chances) or Sydney (60% chances). In this regard, I need to compare cost of living in these two cities. Now, I know that Melbourne is less expensive then Sydney but I need this information to negotiate a better deal with my employer based on destination selection.

I am moving with family (wife + 2 school going kids (aged 11 and 6)). For now, my wife would not be working, so I would be sole earner of the family.

Can you guys give the Melbourne and Sydney estimated expenses against below:

Monthly Cost:
Furnished 2 Bedroom Apartment
Unfurnished 2 Bedroom Apartment
Furnished 3 Bedroom Apartment
Unfurnished 3 Bedroom Apartment
Utilities (Water + Electricity)
Monthly Internet + TV Cable
Average Mobile Phone
Monthly Grocery
Monthly School fee (if private school)
Any Medical Insurance Fees
Dining out once a week
Petrol, Parking, Car Service etc

One Time Cost:
Car (may be) Toyota Corolla (New)
Car (may be) Toyota Corolla (Old)
Driving License
School Admission Fees

Please also mention, if I have missed anything in above table.

Your help here is always appreciated.

Thanks
Komail Noori
What you pay monthly in the UK, look to pay weekly in OZ

For cars use www.carsales.com.au

For property use www.realestate.com.au

Private schools is around $30k to $40k per child, then another $10k to $20k for other incidentals.
Parnell is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2015, 9:40 pm   #6
Forum Regular
 
Perpetual Tourist's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: West London
Posts: 158
Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Hi Komail,

The people on BE are a helpful bunch, but this is a pretty big ask. Personally I would have thought the main difference in cost will come down to cost of rental properties. The below tool may be of some help.

Numbeo: Cost of Living Comparison Between Melbourne and Sydney
__________________
ANZSCO 252411: 5/9/13 | EoI (189): 30/9/13 | Invite: 21/10/13 | Lodged: 27/10/13 | CO contact 2/12/13 | 189 Visa Granted: 30/12/13 | Validation trip: 4/8/14 - 2/9/14
Perpetual Tourist is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2015, 11:01 am   #7
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,558
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist View Post
Hi Komail,

The people on BE are a helpful bunch, but this is a pretty big ask. Personally I would have thought the main difference in cost will come down to cost of rental properties. The below tool may be of some help.

Numbeo: Cost of Living Comparison Between Melbourne and Sydney
Means little without taking per city average salaries in account.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/5673.0.55.003
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:48 pm   #8
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,864
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnell View Post
What you pay monthly in the UK, look to pay weekly in OZ

For cars use www.carsales.com.au

For property use www.realestate.com.au

Private schools is around $30k to $40k per child, then another $10k to $20k for other incidentals.
Rubbish
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:03 pm   #9
Forum Regular
 
Perpetual Tourist's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: West London
Posts: 158
Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Means little without taking per city average salaries in account.

5673.0.55.003 - Wage and Salary Earner Statistics for Small Areas, Time Series, 2005-06 to 2010-11
That may be more relevant from a social science point of view, but for the OP who is looking to negotiate a good deal from his existing employer, it is only of limited help.

Average salaries per state and across all professions hold little value. They tend to reflect the types of industries prevalent. If you want to be more scientific in your research, you would really need access to a report that shows the average salaries per capital, based on job-title and work experience.

For example, in the statistics you link to, the average salary in Greater Brisbane and Greater Sydney is $52,171 and $57,612 respectively. However - architects in the middle of their career earn the most in Brisbane, on average $11,000 more than architects in Melbourne and Sydney! (link)

The OP needs to look specifically at what other professionals with his job function/title and work experience earn in the different cities before negotiation a relocation package with his existing employer. The OP then needs to take into account living expenses in the two cities.
__________________
ANZSCO 252411: 5/9/13 | EoI (189): 30/9/13 | Invite: 21/10/13 | Lodged: 27/10/13 | CO contact 2/12/13 | 189 Visa Granted: 30/12/13 | Validation trip: 4/8/14 - 2/9/14
Perpetual Tourist is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2015, 9:37 pm   #10
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,558
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist View Post
That may be more relevant from a social science point of view, but for the OP who is looking to negotiate a good deal from his existing employer, it is only of limited help.

Average salaries per state and across all professions hold little value. They tend to reflect the types of industries prevalent. If you want to be more scientific in your research, you would really need access to a report that shows the average salaries per capital, based on job-title and work experience.

For example, in the statistics you link to, the average salary in Greater Brisbane and Greater Sydney is $52,171 and $57,612 respectively. However - architects in the middle of their career earn the most in Brisbane, on average $11,000 more than architects in Melbourne and Sydney! (link)

The OP needs to look specifically at what other professionals with his job function/title and work experience earn in the different cities before negotiation a relocation package with his existing employer. The OP then needs to take into account living expenses in the two cities.
Rubbish. It is all relevant. When we hire from abroad we know we have to pay those more in Sydney and thats why we try and throw them at the Brisbane office. We can pay them less.

Its pretty simple. If your staff can't afford to live they bail out and work for someone who offers more. You can't throw a Brisbane salary at a Sydney employee and expect them to be happy.

As for Architects well please. There's one screwed up profession. Labour heavy, poorly managed, factories full of very bright professionals whizzing away with Revit, something designed to save the industry money but instead costing Architects an arm and a leg. As a result still producing shite architecture Australia is renowned for. Architects are arty farty types. Very few of those type wish to live in Brisbane. There's your supply problem.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2015, 11:10 pm   #11
Forum Regular
 
Perpetual Tourist's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: West London
Posts: 158
Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Rubbish. It is all relevant. When we hire from abroad we know we have to pay those more in Sydney and thats why we try and throw them at the Brisbane office. We can pay them less.

Its pretty simple. If your staff can't afford to live they bail out and work for someone who offers more. You can't throw a Brisbane salary at a Sydney employee and expect them to be happy.

As for Architects well please. There's one screwed up profession. Labour heavy, poorly managed, factories full of very bright professionals whizzing away with Revit, something designed to save the industry money but instead costing Architects an arm and a leg. As a result still producing shite architecture Australia is renowned for. Architects are arty farty types. Very few of those type wish to live in Brisbane. There's your supply problem.
I agree to a point; some cities are more expensive to live in, and salaries have to reflect this depending on if you are working in Brisbane or Sydney. But I'm not so sure calling architects arty farty makes my example less valid
__________________
ANZSCO 252411: 5/9/13 | EoI (189): 30/9/13 | Invite: 21/10/13 | Lodged: 27/10/13 | CO contact 2/12/13 | 189 Visa Granted: 30/12/13 | Validation trip: 4/8/14 - 2/9/14
Perpetual Tourist is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:58 am   #12
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,558
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist View Post
I agree to a point; some cities are more expensive to live in, and salaries have to reflect this depending on if you are working in Brisbane or Sydney. But I'm not so sure calling architects arty farty makes my example less valid
Well Architecture is just one example of where there may be a differing case. Architecture is a funny case. Too many architects for whats needed, and the business model of Architecture, especially now that contractors and owners are driving this BIM thing, and throwing all the excess work back at the Architects makes the current business model unsustainable. Architects are also historically poorly paid and the first to hit the dole queues in masses during a recession. There are probably others occupations who differ from the norm. But looking at the big picture and the overall average tells a different story.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:48 am   #13
Forum Regular
 
Perpetual Tourist's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: West London
Posts: 158
Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Well Architecture is just one example of where there may be a differing case. Architecture is a funny case. Too many architects for whats needed, and the business model of Architecture, especially now that contractors and owners are driving this BIM thing, and throwing all the excess work back at the Architects makes the current business model unsustainable. Architects are also historically poorly paid and the first to hit the dole queues in masses during a recession. There are probably others occupations who differ from the norm. But looking at the big picture and the overall average tells a different story.
Fair enough.
Judging by another thread started by OP, they have opted for Sydney.
__________________
ANZSCO 252411: 5/9/13 | EoI (189): 30/9/13 | Invite: 21/10/13 | Lodged: 27/10/13 | CO contact 2/12/13 | 189 Visa Granted: 30/12/13 | Validation trip: 4/8/14 - 2/9/14
Perpetual Tourist is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:59 am   #14
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,558
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney or Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist View Post
Fair enough.
Judging by another thread started by OP, they have opted for Sydney.
Yeah, though a good conversation to be had. Many come on here and look at Brisbane as they figure its the cheapest aside from Adelaide and Hobart without considering salary differences. Of course if you're an Architect its Brisbane all the way
Beoz is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:27 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com