Help! Now demented....

Help! Now demented....

Old Mar 24th 2015, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Tricky Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Now demented....

Hi everyone,

Hope some of you can help! Our story is as follows;

After a very long but determined slog we managed to secure our PR Visa's back in 2013 and attempted the move later in that year to Perth. Long story short but a cruel convergence of some very difficult personal and business circumstances arose prior to leaving however by that stage we were committed on various fronts to the move. (Flights booked, house sold etc...) Consequently, we arrived on our knees at the start of the emigration process and not unsurprisingly were forced to return to Scotland after only 5 months despite our best endeavors to persevere.

After 18 months of recovery, life is now in a much better place however we do have a very strong and lingering sense of unfinished business / un-fulfillment in respect of Australia. In that 18 months however we have also naturally settled again to an extent, albeit in a furnished property with our belongings still in boxes. Our children are now 11 & 8 and our eldest starts high school next year.

I appreciate the very personal nature of this and that only I ultimately have the answers. However can anyone relate to our story as I am very much in a dilemma in terms of whether to up-root ourselves again, to give it another go if it is arguably based in large part on tenacious personality and a determination to achieve an original dream/objective. Honourable traits and justification enough perhaps but is it reason enough to destabilise the family unit again in the spirit of seeking that ever elusive greener grass / better life....

Whilst we do have positive options here the pros and cons list would strongly suggest that OZ still represents a far better opportunity and outlook for us both short & long term. Equally, we are just as well placed practically to embark on emigration again as we would be to settle fully here. But as my post suggests I now feel literally demented due to feeling frozen in a mindset of limbo / indecision - really quite disconcerting and beginning to feel more like insanity than anything given the time and efforts we have afforded the process up until now. Then again, perhaps this is merely the reality of being a ping pong pom!

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Tricky Nicky; Mar 24th 2015 at 5:01 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Now demented....

Hi when we migrated to Perth in 1998 we really did not have a huge amount of money when we arrived in Perth (most of the friends we made were in the same position) Perth then though was not that much more expensive then than it was in the UK and we managed to buy a home within the first 4 months of our arrival......things were very "lean" for the first few years (not something we were use to in the UK) but we got on with it and eventually we (my OH) managed to find good jobs and the rest was history really, I am not sure though that if we were in the same position (financially) and migrating now in the current climate if we would do the same again Perth is so much more expensive nowadays and maybe because we are happy with what we have and appreciated certain things we did not before. Your in a difficult position with how you feel at the moment, how does your partner feel? have you had a talk about the pro's and con's of the move? if you did decide on a move to Perth would you struggle again and if so do you think you would stay and wait the difficult times out? its not easy this migrating lark is it at times? good luck with your decision
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If Aus offers you a concrete better offer in hand now then go for it. If you're hanging on to the nebulous "better future" meme but have nothing concrete on the table then forget it. Forget about "what ifs" they're a waste of time and energy. Look at what you have in hand then make your decision based on relative merits. Your kids will be just fine in either first world country, it's where you have the best offer of employment/living/social connectivity that's important.

If need be, just draw the line and thank your lucky stars that you live in a great first world country. No point getting demented about it.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware Perth has changed a lot since then. The economy is starting to go backwards and unemployment rising
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

"Be aware Perth has changed a lot since then. The economy is starting to go backwards and unemployment rising"

While the height of the boom time with mining might be over WA's economy is still very strong.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
"Be aware Perth has changed a lot since then. The economy is starting to go backwards and unemployment rising"

While the height of the boom time with mining might be over WA's economy is still very strong.
I will tell that to the ques of guys that are at my library every day waiting to get on a computer to job hunt. Or, the 2000 chevron people just laid off. Or the 300+ Woodside, or the 800 from Rio, or the 1000 from a mix of the small iron ore miners - that was just another typical week for Perth
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

And the boom times (when Perth thrives) is mainly due to the Natural Resources in W.A's North West, everything else is a knock on effect. " Before all the boom times Perth was a very quiet and small place with mainly an Aussie population, with steady work, cheaper homes, those were the good days" as my Aussie friend quite often likes to quote lol
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I will tell that to the ques of guys that are at my library every day waiting to get on a computer to job hunt. Or, the 2000 chevron people just laid off. Or the 300+ Woodside, or the 800 from Rio, or the 1000 from a mix of the small iron ore miners - that was just another typical week for Perth
I see a large issue for It related staff in Australia when jobs are exported in the next few years to a more innovative and up skilled NZ.

With a potential cost saving of over 2/3 many govt depts, banks and large SME will have to consider whether it remains sustainable to be based onshore.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

welshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant futurewelshcake51 has a brilliant future

Hi, from someone who has been visiting family in WA since 1986, bought a block of land in 2000, built on it in 2005/6 and then sold up in 2009, I can only agree with the sentiments that starting off in WA now, compared with when we did just ten years ago seems to be very much more expensive and less secure. Any economy that is dependent on the exploitation of finite mineral resources and global competitive markets is sure to be unstable. However, having said all that it is fabulous environment to bring up a family and there are so many opportunities for growing families there. We didn't stay, it wasn't right for us at our stage of life, we had built up too much back in the UK but what an adventure! I can understand the dilemma but others can only relate their own experience which may be totally unrelated to your situation. Keep asking/researching as only you can make that decision and even if it is the wrong one it is not the end of the world as you have already proved, things have a way of turning themselves round. Good luck