Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Sydney

Cost of living in Sydney

Old Jun 29th 2015, 7:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney

Originally Posted by xizzles
Well done, Beoz. And, in my opinion, I think the original poster should have done at least the same before popping in & getting someone else to do it for free. I always find forums like these to be more useful if an opinion or subjective viewpoint were requested, as opposed to hard "facts" which can already be readily accessed via a mouse-click on your favourite search engine.

Then again, that's just me. Your mileage may vary. Different strokes & all of that, you see.
Read the post above by the OP where he explains that he has done some goggle legwork but having no knowledge of Sydney whatsoever he was hoping for some help and guidance from friendly BE members.
Whatever happened to the old spirit of BE where we all mucked in and helped each other out? No wonder its so quiet round here these days.......
Old Jun 29th 2015, 7:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Personally speaking I don't own a car nor in the few months I have left in Australia (this time around anyway) I don't intend to get a car, so most of my leisure activities are limited to CBD/public transport accessible places.

I don't hike or surf, plus the weather right now is not conducive to either (although hardcore enthusiasts would do both regardless of weather I imagine), plus being on my own I'm not in the social frame of mind to try meetup and the like to get out and "do stuff".

So yeah, I would budget for a gym membership, but then again that's just me.
Have to say the thought of a gym fills me will horror, never mind the thought of paying for it, but then so does the thought of owning a car! Each to their own I guess.
I have friends who would rather live on bread and water than give up their gym!!
Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Read the post above by the OP where he explains that he has done some goggle legwork but having no knowledge of Sydney whatsoever he was hoping for some help and guidance from friendly BE members.
Whatever happened to the old spirit of BE where we all mucked in and helped each other out? No wonder its so quiet round here these days.......
😉 he he
The old spirit of BE was bickering about everything: Agonising about FX rates and shopping carts.

I miss it...maybe not...I see that Beoz and OzT are resurrecting a bit of 'biffo'...

As for the OP: You can hit up Woolies and Coles on google. The real costs are rates and all sorts of incidentals like insurance, car maintenance and a myriad of costs. Top costs for me this month is my monthly delivery of wood, kids ski trip, some minor Reno work, some insurance and a 300 dollar hair straightener thing for my wife...these are the things that catch up with you, month by month...cheers

Ps it is quiet in here, a good thing in some ways....