Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living - Is It This Simple

Cost Of Living - Is It This Simple

Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost Of Living - Is It This Simple

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
There have been a few, here is a recent one.
We have just moved here, I can break down expenses in Brisbane for a family of five as follows:

Rent=$2500 ($590 p/week for a four bed in a nice suburb - it was a bit extravagant, but we were keen to get our children into the local school, could have had a 4 bed for $450 p/week in other areas. Hubby can also cycle to work, so this cuts down on our footprint and saves commuting costs).
Groceries=$1085 ($270 p/week for a family of five, including one in nappies. We don't drink or smoke or eat much red meat)
Incidentals=$650 ($150 p/week for bread/milk/coffee and any other unexpected expenses)
Life Insurance=$130 (for both hubby and I - insurance of $1m each plus illness cover for $500k)
Electricity & Gas=$100 ($70 for Electricity / $30 for Gas)
Water=$70
Petrol=$305 ($65 p/week - we drive a fairly big SUV to cart the littlies around)
House Insurance=$60
Foxtel=$40
VOIP/Internet=$80 (includes 300 local phone calls, 100 mobile phone calls, free calls to the UK and 10GB ADSL data bundle - cost $208 for installation with wireless router).
Vodafone =$100 (for two mobile PAYG)
Nursery = $390
Car Maintenance =$50

Total =$5560

I have not included a car/insurance in this as we paid cash for a car and insurance for a year in advance (cost $500 for the year).

So if you take our monthly budget and translate that to an annual sum it comes out at $66720. We will get a rebate of 50% on the nursery fees, so this comes down a bit, but we will have to pay for car rego and insurance out of this money so I don't include it in our annual budget.

Hope this helps

Last edited by dejags; Jul 5th 2008 at 8:16 am. Reason: gremlins at work...
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

maxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura about

That really helps, cheers
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:53 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Thought it might put a bit of perspective to add the costs for the same things we pay for here in the UK at the moment per week Family of 3 (teenager... one at Uni, but no costs for that included!)

mortgage £260
Groceries £160
Petrol £90
Water £5
Gym £26.50
Contents insurance £5.50
Electric: £26.50
Broadband/phone £5.00
Sky 10.50
2 mobile phones £16
Motor insurance £5.75

£611.00 per week
£2650 per month
£31,789 per year

I appreciate that our mortgage is quite large... but the shopping bill has gone up sooo much over the last few months and I heard on the radio that meat prices are set to increase by 40% over the next year due to the increased costs of animal feed Already 250g of butter has risen from 65p to 94p in the last few months. The price of bread has increased for 65p to £1.10 too (although i appreciate that it's still cheaper than Australian bread AND it tastes better IMO) The price of fuel is a global thing too so what hits in the UK will also hit in Australia even if it's starting a a lower base the % of income spent on 'essentials' is set to soar for the next couple of years in both countries.

On balance I think that it's still a bit less expensive to live in Australia, but a lot depends on what sort of lifestyle you want.

Actually, having written that down, I'm frankly horrified about how much money we're spending on stuff we have to have!
Wow thats a lot on Groceries! When I left (almost 2 1/2 years ago) we were spending 50 pounds a week for a family of 3! Good to see the comparison
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:04 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about the price of food! Our food bill used to be £100 per week when there were 4 of us in the house a year ago!
I think the rocketing food prices have just taken a bit longer to hit the UK but higher prices are definitely here now!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:34 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dejags
We have just moved here, I can break down expenses in Brisbane for a family of five as follows:

Rent=$2500 ($590 p/week for a four bed in a nice suburb - it was a bit extravagant, but we were keen to get our children into the local school, could have had a 4 bed for $450 p/week in other areas. Hubby can also cycle to work, so this cuts down on our footprint and saves commuting costs).
Groceries=$1085 ($270 p/week for a family of five, including one in nappies. We don't drink or smoke or eat much red meat)
Incidentals=$650 ($150 p/week for bread/milk/coffee and any other unexpected expenses)
Life Insurance=$130 (for both hubby and I - insurance of $1m each plus illness cover for $500k)
Electricity & Gas=$100 ($70 for Electricity / $30 for Gas)
Water=$70
Petrol=$305 ($65 p/week - we drive a fairly big SUV to cart the littlies around)
House Insurance=$60
Foxtel=$40
VOIP/Internet=$80 (includes 300 local phone calls, 100 mobile phone calls, free calls to the UK and 10GB ADSL data bundle - cost $208 for installation with wireless router).
Vodafone =$100 (for two mobile PAYG)
Nursery = $390
Car Maintenance =$50

Total =$5560

I have not included a car/insurance in this as we paid cash for a car and insurance for a year in advance (cost $500 for the year).

So if you take our monthly budget and translate that to an annual sum it comes out at $66720. We will get a rebate of 50% on the nursery fees, so this comes down a bit, but we will have to pay for car rego and insurance out of this money so I don't include it in our annual budget.

Hope this helps

I think that you receive 30% rebate this tax submission and 50% next tax submission unless you request a quarterly rebate.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:01 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

People totally overlook the fact that most Australian families would consider $50k to be a bloody fantastic salary!
Jesus we must be the poor relations on here!
Not everyone coming earns mega money and most have saved on their 'paltry' incomes to get here,, yet they do it and from what ive learnt over this last couple of years they are the ones who value their new lives more!
not whinge about next clothes/bisto/wotsits/walkers crisps/m&s knickers...
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:20 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
People totally overlook the fact that most Australian families would consider $50k to be a bloody fantastic salary!
Not everyone coming earns mega money and most have saved on their 'paltry' incomes to get here,, yet they do it and from what ive learnt over this last couple of years they are the ones who value their new lives more!
I will complain about marks and spencer knickers if I want and you can't stop me!

You are right of course.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:32 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

No way is this true !!!

Ok, I don't really know what most australian families think.

But I reckon that if you did a survey, less than 10% would think $50k was a "fantastic salary" for a family !!!!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I clicked off this thread rather than respond and get shitty but I just can't help myself.

The people on the most money don't usually talk about it, because there is an awful lot of reverse snobbery on this forum, but please don't think for a minute that all of us that had an easy time getting here and are on decent money don't value it just as much as those that spent years doing so.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:27 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, i did not say ALL people that have had it easier moan more or appreciate it less, but some do, and they are so vocal about the moaning.

I have a friend who came here minted and she loves every minute of her life here.

It just sticks in your throat when people say 'i only have £300k will i survive on this'??? they dont see that they are in the privilidged end of society.

Originally Posted by Seasider
I clicked off this thread rather than respond and get shitty but I just can't help myself.

The people on the most money don't usually talk about it, because there is an awful lot of reverse snobbery on this forum, but please don't think for a minute that all of us that had an easy time getting here and are on decent money don't value it just as much as those that spent years doing so.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

Originally Posted by perksy
I think aswell you have to think of other things in your monthly outgoings. Most people pay somesort of unsecured credit repayment in the UK (i.e loans, storecards, HP, credit cards etc). Probably most people when they come to Oz don't have these outgoings straight away. I'd make sure you budget in advance for these sort of outgoings in the future.
Totally agree with this post...once folk start to use their credit cards here as they did in Uk they will soon be floundering $$$ wise....and have noticed lot of folk here use credit cards for food shopping etc.....thankfully am not one of them......
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:29 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by bithbheo
Totally agree with this post...once folk start to use their credit cards here as they did in Uk they will soon be floundering $$$ wise....and have noticed lot of folk here use credit cards for food shopping etc.....thankfully am not one of them......

I use my credit card for everything even Coles. I have an offset mortgage with the interest calculated each day so the longer the money remains in the mortgage account the better.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had 300 grand. I've never had 50 grand, but neither am I starving.

Re. credit, we've had this discussion before on the forum. If you can use your credit card wisely, and pay it off every month, it can save you money and/or bring you rewards. If you know you can't, don't use one.

I'm a tight Yorkshirewoman so begrudge paying interest, and have used mine for regular expenses for years, paying them off with the next month's salary.

I just wish more places here would take Amex, as I'm used to earning airmiles on mine and, with setting up home, could have done quite nicely out of it.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by busterboy
I think that you receive 30% rebate this tax submission and 50% next tax submission unless you request a quarterly rebate.
Lucky for us we have just arrived, so we wont have to take the 2008 tax year into consideration for a nursery rebate.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

I disagree with you. I think $50k total household income for any family would be considered low. No snobbery involved - I just take the basic cost of living for a family of five - our basic annual living expenses are $66k, so $50k would be difficult.

We could probably manage on $50k Nett by cutting back and moving into smaller accomodation but certainly not $50k gross. It simply wouldn't be possible and we would be far worse off than we would be on the UK or South Africa for that matter.

I cant imagine, given the cost of living that many Australians would consider this a fabulous income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.