Reload this Page >

Cost of Living and Salaries in Melbourne

Cost of Living and Salaries in Melbourne

Old May 12th 2008, 2:47 am
Just Joined

gmlatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living and Salaries in Melbourne

Hello

I am heading out to Oz in a few weeks to have an interview for a job based in St Kilda and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions re cost of living and salaries.

If we move out to Oz we would want to rent a 3 bed house in St Kilda as I am sure we will have visitors and there may be a new arrival. how much would a 3 bed house be to rent in St Kilda area.

Also with regards salaries i assume they are generally less than the UK = if so is there a general rule of thumb, as i don't want to be seen as being totaly unaware

Thanks in advance
Old May 12th 2008, 2:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living and Salaries in Melbourne

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...CUnit&p=30&o=d
Old May 12th 2008, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Conrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of light

cost of living is high but salaries are not so high like cost of living unfortunately;
food is expensive twice comparing with UK prices, and crap quality.
Old May 12th 2008, 5:16 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Conrad242
cost of living is high but salaries are not so high like cost of living unfortunately;
food is expensive twice comparing with UK prices, and crap quality.
You must be shopping in some very bad places if you think that the quality of food in melbourne is bad.

Last edited by asprilla; May 12th 2008 at 5:55 am. Reason: mistakenly said "high", meant to say "bad" !
Old May 12th 2008, 5:27 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gmlatic

Also with regards salaries i assume they are generally less than the UK = if so is there a general rule of thumb, as i don't want to be seen as being totaly unaware

Thanks in advance
Hi, Salaries are less than the UK but we've found the work/life better as public transport as much as everyone complains about the trains/trams is pretty fantastic and my husband now sees me and the kids before and after work which is a bonus from were he worked in the UK so I suppose if you work it out maybe the salary is more as he's not expected to be in the office as much!

Found the cost of living a lot lower here so long as you are not trying to eat the same things as you did in the UK out of season. Food choice is fantastic ...just the old generic winge about never getting a really fantastic Indian meal. Great Fresh produce, easy to get organic, gluten-free only thing I've found I can't get that I used to live off is 'Quorn'. Not much in the way of frozen but we very rarely eat frozen meals now. Eating out is very cheap (sometimes too cheap it's hard to motivate cooking!)

Lots of free things to do or if not free, very cheap. Eg Family pass to London zoo GBP 55.50 family pass to Melbourne zoo $52.40

Went back to the UK last year for the first time in 4 years and we couldn't believe the admission prices and meal prices.

And is St Kilda cheap to live in would depend on what you are looking for in a place and where you come from to compare cheap with.

Good luck with your move.

LJJ
Old May 13th 2008, 2:27 am
Just Joined

gmlatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses.

I had already looked on realestate.com and have a rough idea of what it would all cost.

Re food i have been to Oz 6 times and never had a problem with the quality of the food - but it is 3 years since i was last out there.

I will do some research on job websites to see what similiar jobs offer pay wise
Old May 13th 2008, 2:39 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmlatic
I will do some research on job websites to see what similiar jobs offer pay wise
I know a lot of people say they get paid less here, but that's not across the board so do your research and you may find your industry pay here is comparable to the UK.