Cost of living

Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Makeamovebrook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living

Hello everyone!
So I've been doing some research before considering make the move over the pond! My main worry is of course money...
I was just looking to get some feedback from someone who has done this and is currently living in oz. I've looked up renting a house and have settled on payING around 900-1100 a month which is not too bad my other concern of course is cost of living i.e groceries,electric, water days out and any other hidden bills that may pop up.It will only be myself and my boyfriend so no children as extra cost. What would be a comfortable income in AUD for 2 adults and what have you all found the most expensive thing ?
Thanks a lot for your help
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Makeamovebrook
Hello everyone!
So I've been doing some research before considering make the move over the pond! My main worry is of course money...
I was just looking to get some feedback from someone who has done this and is currently living in oz. I've looked up renting a house and have settled on payING around 900-1100 a month which is not too bad my other concern of course is cost of living i.e groceries,electric, water days out and any other hidden bills that may pop up.It will only be myself and my boyfriend so no children as extra cost. What would be a comfortable income in AUD for 2 adults and what have you all found the most expensive thing ?
That's the best 'how long is a piece of string' question I've ever heard! Australia's huge and variations in the cost of everything is equally huge. Where in Oz are you moving to?

This is something I've sent my Brit rellies who didn't realize how big Australia is. http://blog.australian-native.com.au...omparison-map/
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That's the best 'how long is a piece of string' question I've ever heard! Australia's huge and variations in the cost of everything is equally huge. Where in Oz are you moving to?

Oh yes forgot to addo that in looking in sudbury victoria at the moment
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit better

I'm from the other side of the country (Perth), but hopefully some people from that neck of the woods will be along to discuss the area with you. In the meantime, there are heaps of 'cost of living' threads here, maybe do a forum search and have a look at some.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be Sunbury?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Would that be Sunbury?
Lol yes it would!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you moving on?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!
Cost of living will only be high if you earn low.

Without your earnings value then your guess is as good as ours.

Search the forum. Plenty of info on this topic been discussed before.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What visa are you moving on?
We are moving on a skilled worker visa....
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but is it a temporary 457, 489 or a permanent 189 or 190?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Temporary or PR? Can make a lot of difference.
Also, I assume you know that you need to be de facto partners, not just boyfriend/girlfriend - 6 months cohabiting minimum for 457, 12 months for PR
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!
OK moving over the pond is usually considered moving to the US, never heard that term applied to moving to Australia. Lots of countries and ponds to go over unlike the one pond to the US!!!!

Are you looking at 900-1000/person or for both of you and are you thinking of sharing at that price or paying for a sole residence? In Melbourne a property would usually go for 2/3k per month for a 2 bed. Not sure what suburb you seen for $1000/m unless you are looking to live far from the CBD?
What kind of jobs re you looking at? Around 60k is the min wage(457 visa) which is doable if you are prepared for a "basic" lifestyle.

What city are you looking to move to, this helps as could answer how much you could get away with salaries.

A decent salary in Brisbane will not cover your living expenses in Sydney.

Do you have jobs to come too? If not, how do you know you would be on comfortable incomes? The job market here may not be what you expect and you could maybe find both of you take longer to find work or worse find the salaries you want are not there.

A comfortable income for Melbourne, say $150k for you both would be far more in Sydney.

How much research have you done on this yourself?

The most expensive things I have found, groceries, rentals and then getting on the property market. Then add to that general shopping, clothes, electronics etc.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

For housing look at realestate.com.au

For salaries have a look at seek.com.au

Tip. Australian rental prices are advertised in price per week
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Are you looking at 900-1000/person or for both of you and are you thinking of sharing at that price or paying for a sole residence? In Melbourne a property would usually go for 2/3k per month for a 2 bed. Not sure what suburb you seen for $1000/m unless you are looking to live far from the CBD?
That's a broad range but pretty much what you would pay in Sydney for some standard 2 bed in a central location

A comfortable income for Melbourne, say $150k for you both would be far more in Sydney.
How do you figure that? If rents are about the same then why would COL be more in Sydney? There's no mention of purchasing a house here.

How much research have you done on this yourself?

The most expensive things I have found, groceries, rentals and then getting on the property market. Then add to that general shopping, clothes, electronics etc.
I find groceries, rent and getting on the property market in Melbourne and Sydney about the same or less expensive comparatively to another city like London based on earnings. In my occupation the saving capacity is far greater in Sydney than it is in London.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's a broad range but pretty much what you would pay in Sydney for some standard 2 bed in a central location.
Agreed,but hard to provide a range. My property has went up around $40/w since I told them I was moving. If I stayed it was going to be $5/w.

How do you figure that? If rents are about the same then why would COL be more in Sydney? There's no mention of purchasing a house here. you would pay in Sydney for some standard 2 bed in a central location.
Just assumptions, just going by the market rate as I see it in Melbourne.

I find groceries, rent and getting on the property market in Melbourne and Sydney about the same or less expensive comparatively to another city like London based on earnings. In my occupation the saving capacity is far greater in Sydney than it is in London.
Agreed, but COL v living is becoming difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.