cost of living

Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

autra will become famous soon enoughautra will become famous soon enough
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by Bradley7
I'll give you some advice. Don't go to Adelaide your life style will take a big drop average wage there is $32,000 house prices are not far off Melbourne (average wage $48,000) It's a bit of a struggle in Adelaide and jobs don't grow on trees.
Secondly I cannout understand why you're moving, is it right you came back from South Africa now you're on about going to Australia! Where next Canada? Why not save your money, invest in a second home in france spend your holidays there and eventually move there, would save you so much hassle!
thanks for the reply , we have to go to south australia for 2yrs part of visa hopefully then we will end up in melbourne, why go ? children ok we may have battled through to have some quality in life , but how does the younger generation get through, they wont be able to get mortgages till the whenever and car insurance , a night out cost them halfe a weeks salary,
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:22 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really see that you'll like the drop in lifestyle you'd have to accept. I honestly cannot see why you'd want to move. Australia longer hours, lower wages, yes cheaper housing, food around the same in comparison to average wage, better weather yes but you holiday twice a year anyway.

Sorry to sound a lot negative but I just cannot understand your reasoning and I've seen plenty of people who appear to have values just like yours end up going home after less than 6 months.
I'd agree with that. Not knocking the OP at all but if having all the material stuff around you is important, you'll find that harder to come by in Oz. When people talk about 'better lifestyle', it usually means getting out more, playing sports, taking the kids to national parks or the beach, that kind of thing.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

LOL yeah they make it look easy, probably as they have support from the TV company! Move half way round the planet find a home a job and some friends, yeah like falling off a bike it's so easy, 25% who go to Aus end up going back.

Oh and other thing you need to consider, you cannot compare £ to $ as you won't earn £ in Aus so you'd have to stop thinking like that.

I can't really see that you'll like the drop in lifestyle you'd have to accept. I honestly cannot see why you'd want to move. Australia longer hours, lower wages, yes cheaper housing, food around the same in comparison to average wage, better weather yes but you holiday twice a year anyway.

Sorry to sound a lot negative but I just cannot understand your reasoning and I've seen plenty of people who appear to have values just like yours end up going home after less than 6 months.
after talking to people i am too starting to wonder if it is the right thing to do, are you moving there whot is your reasons,
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by autra
ok joke over , every thing taken wrong way, no harm ment. just ment how does the cost of living compare, do they have shops like m&s or asda etc has anyone been over pubs bars etc eating out.
I think Myers is the Aussie equivalent of John Lewis/Debenhams. There are other big department stores too. I don't think they have anything the equivalent to M&S food court though, not that I have seen anyway, but then I haven't been shopping in all of the department stores, only Myers.

HTH
Katie
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

jellycat is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou this is just whot i needed to hear,you mentioned woolworths did you mean in aus if so is this not there m& S, have watched all tv downunder programs and they make it look so easy
Woolworths in oz (at least in QLD!) is a food supermarket and safeways sells the sort of stuff that woolies uk sells. Don't ask me why!it's all topsy turvey!! Sorry if that confuses you more!
My sister struggled for a while to get a job in Adelaide but she got there eventually and loves the place! Don't think she's any better off financially in oz than here, but she didn't have any money anyway! Just happier with her life there. Went out with nothing, still has nothing, but turns a funny colour if you suggest she should come home. How is your 10 year old taking the idea? I have an 11 year old girl.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:38 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

after talking to people i am too starting to wonder if it is the right thing to do, are you moving there whot is your reasons,
I'm moving as I have family there, my parents are going to retire there (in 5 years). My Grandma and 2 uncles and 5 cousins are all citizens. My sisters both intend on moving to Aus over the next 5 years, so I'd be the only one of my clan left (well apart from my 2 other grand parents who are 85).

My other reason for wanting to go! Something I've wanted to do for 18 years, I'm finally in a position to do so and nothing will stop me! I've been to Aus and I fell in love with the place, I really miss being there and class it as my home! I don't have a flash house/car/2 holidays a year to give up. When I go I cannot look back and see what I've lost as everything. I will not return to UK apart from holidays as and when I can afford them, (if I can't afford them I will never return) to see friends.
Sorry to be hard on you but I can't see why you want to move, try appreciating what you have!
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jellycat
Woolworths in oz (at least in QLD!) is a food supermarket and safeways sells the sort of stuff that woolies uk sells. Don't ask me why!it's all topsy turvey!! Sorry if that confuses you more!
My sister struggled for a while to get a job in Adelaide but she got there eventually and loves the place! Don't think she's any better off financially in oz than here, but she didn't have any money anyway! Just happier with her life there. Went out with nothing, still has nothing, but turns a funny colour if you suggest she should come home. How is your 10 year old taking the idea? I have an 11 year old girl.
hi yes woolworths will be M&S then its like south africa they are not alowed to trade under the u.k. names , my 10yr old is looking foward to it, whot job did your sister get and how long did it take her
Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:15 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

have been reading all peoples comments about cost of living , i live in the north of england my husband is a sub contractor in the electrical trade,we earn about £42000 per yr we live in a four bedroom detached house he drives a 4x4 i have a Lexus we holiday once a yr at Christmasfor 3 weeks to ie USA south Africa and we then try to have a short cheep break to spain mid yr, we have one child left at home aged 10yrs who does not go with out , ie computers mobile phones,etc. i shop at m&S and debenhams etc. we eat out once a week, we intend to sell everything in the uk and come over with about £80000, my husband will look to work with an electrical/fire ininstallation company at first, then eventually to again sub contract to the companies , i will work part time we hope to buy a nice new build, three bed house, on mortgage and a small 4x4 and a van, and slow life down a bit , will we be able to have the same standard of life, we have lived in south africa for 2 yrs once so we now about not comparing wages etc.
Sounds like you just want a holiday in a different venue.

Also, with a net worth (including house) of just £80,000 sounds like you have been splashing the cash on the high life and making inadequate provision for later life.

To move to Aus, you would sever your links to your source of income and incurr high expenses doing so while having no certainty of reacquiring a similar income let alone a higher one required to recoop your expenses.

Your current plan sounds like financial self mutilation.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:17 am
Just Joined

jellycat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi yes woolworths will be M&S then its like south africa they are not alowed to trade under the u.k. names , my 10yr old is looking foward to it, whot job did your sister get and how long did it take her

She started off traipsing round the streets selling telecommunications???? (one of those annoying people who knocks on your door when your busy and trys to make you buy something you don't want!!!!!!!!!) Then she met people and made friends and is now in charge of organising functions in a bar. And has plans to start looking for something else soon (so she said when she was here). But she is just young and has no children to support, or standard of living to drop from.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:42 am
ABCDiamond

helps alot thankyou , and hope fully we wont need holidays to the sun anymore, maybe to the snow ha ha.
You can always take the odd trip to Fiji, Vanuatu or places like that.

eg: Vanuatu, Includes return airfare & 7 nights accommodation. ...7 nights from $869.

These are very common holiday areas for Australians.

Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can always take the odd trip to Fiji, Vanuatu or places like that.

eg: Vanuatu, Includes return airfare & 7 nights accommodation. ...7 nights from $869.

These are very common holiday areas for Australians.

Where's Vanuatu? I haven't heard of it but sounds very exotic

Tracey
Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:49 am
ABCDiamond

Woolworths here is just a normal supermarket, like Safeway etc. Actually, in Victoria, they are called Safeways

You can check the types of things they sell by looking at:
http://www.woolworths.com.au/storelocations/index.asp and http://www.homeshop.com.au/

Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Where's Vanuatu? I haven't heard of it but sounds very exotic

Tracey
It's "In the heart of Melanesia, with Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands to the north, Fiji to the east and New Caledonia to the southeast"

Have a look at http://www.tourismvanuatu.com/

So many new places to visit down under

Old Jul 10th 2005, 1:06 am
ABCDiamond

will we be able to have the same standard of life, we have lived in south africa for 2 yrs once so we now about not comparing wages etc.
By working hard, etc. etc, it can eventually be done, but not easily, as you won't have the years of local experience that you currently have.

A lot of people who come here begin to relax, reduce their working time, and choose to enjoy the facilities available.

But, those that want to maintain high living etc, are more likely to want to return to the UK, unless they are lucky to land on their feet very quickly, as some actually do.

When I was in the UK I earned well, but I chose to give it up for a relaxed lifestyle. In my personal situation I realised that I couldn't have both.

I could have stayed in the UK and been much better off, but working all hours; or here, with less material things, but more time for life.

It all depends on what we are looking for.
For example, on a Wages Poll of Expats earning over $1,250pw, 83% were happy with their standard of living on that, but 17% were not happy. That shows that we all have different expectations.

Old Jul 10th 2005, 4:47 am
Badge

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

But, those that want to maintain high living etc, are more likely to want to return to the UK.
this is very true, we had nothing to 'lose' or 'lower' or 'reduce' , or 'maintain' by coming here so am actually better off, all told. We have made a massive jump in quality of life.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.