cost of living

Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

autra will become famous soon enoughautra will become famous soon enough
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Eating outs cheap, but that's compared to here. Don't know what it's like when earning $s
thankyou
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:24 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by autra
ok joke over , every thing taken wrong way, no harm ment. just ment how does the cost of living compare, do they have shops like m&s or asda etc has anyone been over pubs bars etc eating out.
PIZZA ANYONE
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:36 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

ok joke over , every thing taken wrong way, no harm ment. just ment how does the cost of living compare, do they have shops like m&s or asda etc has anyone been over pubs bars etc eating out.
Well they certainly don't have Tesco!! Which makes me very sad... I must be one of those people who does all their shopping at Tesco - including insurance and ISP!!!

We ate out a fair bit on our reccy trip, and the food was reasonably well-priced. We had a fantastic restaurant meal in Freemantle which cost $102 - nearly fainted when they brought the bill - but I guess that there aren't that many places in the UK where you can get a 3-course meal for around £45 for three. (We eat our maybe twice a year and then in pubs! )

Petrol is a fair bit cheaper in Oz, I *think* groceries are a bit cheaper in comparison to the UK. My gripe is that there is very little organic food available from what I've seen so far. I don't know about utilities - but we'll find out soon enough!
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Well they certainly don't have Tesco!! Which makes me very sad... I must be one of those people who does all their shopping at Tesco - including insurance and ISP!!!

We ate out a fair bit on our reccy trip, and the food was reasonably well-priced. We had a fantastic restaurant meal in Freemantle which cost $102 - nearly fainted when they brought the bill - but I guess that there aren't that many places in the UK where you can get a 3-course meal for around £45 for three. (We eat our maybe twice a year and then in pubs! )

Petrol is a fair bit cheaper in Oz, I *think* groceries are a bit cheaper in comparison to the UK. My gripe is that there is very little organic food available from what I've seen so far. I don't know about utilities - but we'll find out soon enough!
thankyou
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Has the OP got any answers yet I didnt see what you wrote as bragging, loads of people we know in the UK earn that sort of money and holiday twice a year

So australia, assuming you are a qualified tradesman, starting out while you get through the licensing nightmare you will probably be able to get a trades assistant job, not a contractor, and earn about $22 an hour. Contractors earn more of course building up the contacts, experience, continuity of work, and having all the papers, licences and insurances etc.

Cost of living, very few aussies travel twice a year, overseas hols are a luxury for aussies. More likely to drive a few tho K's and camp. Eg, airfares for a family of 4 to UK including the taxes they bung on top $8000 or $9000. Remember the impact of travelling on the aussie dollar, just think tip half your dosh down the loo and you will have the effect

Cars, european anything is highly coveted by the aussies and costs big money, bring your own or buy a holden.

Daily cost of living is much the same as UK, food for a family of 4 is usually quoted $200 - 250 a week. Petrol is the stand out cheaper item about $1.10 a litre now depending on state, of course as you drive much further so thats usually fairly irrelevant once you arrive. Things you need to budget for that you wont consider if you live in the UK are childrens health, dental, prescriptions, private health cover for the family and quite possibly private education which is considered more to the UK standards.

Adelaide, excruciatingly hot in summer, rest of year not bad. Have read house prices there have risen significantly but wages can be low, I would research job and future opportunities for anyone with children, what would they do there once they reach 17.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:47 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

42000 pounds would be what $100,000 au, can you hubby earn this, I reckon that it is quite achievable.

How many hours a week does your hubby do in the Uk to earn that 42, sounds like a lot?

So if he can earn the 100,000 then I cant see why not have a similar life style here in OZ as you have in the UK
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Has the OP got any answers yet I didnt see what you wrote as bragging, loads of people we know in the UK earn that sort of money and holiday twice a year

So australia, assuming you are a qualified tradesman, starting out while you get through the licensing nightmare you will probably be able to get a trades assistant job, not a contractor, and earn about $22 an hour. Contractors earn more of course building up the contacts, experience, continuity of work, and having all the papers, licences and insurances etc.

Cost of living, very few aussies travel twice a year, overseas hols are a luxury for aussies. More likely to drive a few tho K's and camp. Eg, airfares for a family of 4 to UK including the taxes they bung on top $8000 or $9000. Remember the impact of travelling on the aussie dollar, just think tip half your dosh down the loo and you will have the effect

Cars, european anything is highly coveted by the aussies and costs big money, bring your own or buy a holden.

Daily cost of living is much the same as UK, food for a family of 4 is usually quoted $200 - 250 a week. Petrol is the stand out cheaper item about $1.10 a litre now depending on state, of course as you drive much further so thats usually fairly irrelevant once you arrive. Things you need to budget for that you wont consider if you live in the UK are childrens health, dental, prescriptions, private health cover for the family and quite possibly private education which is considered more to the UK standards.

Adelaide, excruciatingly hot in summer, rest of year not bad. Have read house prices there have risen significantly but wages can be low, I would research job and future opportunities for anyone with children, what would they do there once they reach 17.

Hope that helps.
helps alot thankyou , and hope fully we wont need holidays to the sun anymore, maybe to the snow ha ha.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
42000 pounds would be what $100,000 au, can you hubby earn this, I reckon that it is quite achievable.

How many hours a week does your hubby do in the Uk to earn that 42, sounds like a lot?

So if he can earn the 100,000 then I cant see why not have a similar life style here in OZ as you have in the UK
thankyou for replying is good to get one from someone who is over there. yes we do have to work long and silly hours in the uk to get whot we wont, as does everyone in the world but hopefully in aus it comes with a choice
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:55 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

helps alot thankyou , and hope fully we wont need holidays to the sun anymore, maybe to the snow ha ha.

Thats right and the snow from Adelaide is only a few hundred km's away, so wont cost much at all.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Thats right and the snow from Adelaide is only a few hundred km's away, so wont cost much at all.
good i will remember that and whot time of the yr june ?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:07 pm

good i will remember that and whot time of the yr june ?

More like July August and September
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

jellycat is an unknown quantity at this point

have been reading all peoples comments about cost of living , i live in the north of england my husband is a sub contractor in the electrical trade,we earn about £42000 per yr we live in a four bedroom detached house he drives a 4x4 i have a Lexus we holiday once a yr at Christmasfor 3 weeks to ie USA south Africa and we then try to have a short cheep break to spain mid yr, we have one child left at home aged 10yrs who does not go with out , ie computers mobile phones,etc. i shop at m&S and debenhams etc. we eat out once a week, we intend to sell everything in the uk and come over with about £80000, my husband will look to work with an electrical/fire ininstallation company at first, then eventually to again sub contract to the companies , i will work part time we hope to buy a nice new build, three bed house, on mortgage and a small 4x4 and a van, and slow life down a bit , will we be able to have the same standard of life, we have lived in south africa for 2 yrs once so we now about not comparing wages etc.
Your husband has a good job, one that is always in demand, so I would
imagine he will be fine! You may not find it so easy to find work depends on what you do! You can exchange your four bedroom uk house for four beds in oz and have change to eat out on! ( which is cheaper in oz). Just spent four weeks comparing prices (Metro Centre) with my sister - who was on a visit home from Adelaide. Apparently hair tongs etc are more expensive but playstations are cheaper - make of that what you will. underwear especially but clothes in general are more limited in choice. Chocolate and especially flavoured crisps are also limited (excluding my addiction to cherry ripes, which are wonderful).
Don't think they've got anything to rival m&s etc but if you can get used to buying non food products from safeways and food from woolworths you'll be fine!!!! Holidays???? well you don't need the sun! Snow is in Victoria, and oz is a massive country to explore!!! Any help??
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jellycat
Your husband has a good job, one that is always in demand, so I would
imagine he will be fine! You may not find it so easy to find work depends on what you do! You can exchange your four bedroom uk house for four beds in oz and have change to eat out on! ( which is cheaper in oz). Just spent four weeks comparing prices (Metro Centre) with my sister - who was on a visit home from Adelaide. Apparently hair tongs etc are more expensive but playstations are cheaper - make of that what you will. underwear especially but clothes in general are more limited in choice. Chocolate and especially flavoured crisps are also limited (excluding my addiction to cherry ripes, which are wonderful).
Don't think they've got anything to rival m&s etc but if you can get used to buying non food products from safeways and food from woolworths you'll be fine!!!! Holidays???? well you don't need the sun! Snow is in Victoria, and oz is a massive country to explore!!! Any help??
thankyou this is just whot i needed to hear,you mentioned woolworths did you mean in aus if so is this not there m& S, have watched all tv downunder programs and they make it look so easy
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:10 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

I'll give you some advice. Don't go to Adelaide your life style will take a big drop average wage there is $32,000 house prices are not far off Melbourne (average wage $48,000) It's a bit of a struggle in Adelaide and jobs don't grow on trees.
Secondly I cannout understand why you're moving, is it right you came back from South Africa now you're on about going to Australia! Where next Canada? Why not save your money, invest in a second home in france spend your holidays there and eventually move there, would save you so much hassle!
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:18 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: cost of living

thankyou this is just whot i needed to hear,you mentioned woolworths did you mean in aus if so is this not there m& S, have watched all tv downunder programs and they make it look so easy
LOL yeah they make it look easy, probably as they have support from the TV company! Move half way round the planet find a home a job and some friends, yeah like falling off a bike it's so easy, 25% who go to Aus end up going back.

Oh and other thing you need to consider, you cannot compare £ to $ as you won't earn £ in Aus so you'd have to stop thinking like that.

I can't really see that you'll like the drop in lifestyle you'd have to accept. I honestly cannot see why you'd want to move. Australia longer hours, lower wages, yes cheaper housing, food around the same in comparison to average wage, better weather yes but you holiday twice a year anyway.

Sorry to sound a lot negative but I just cannot understand your reasoning and I've seen plenty of people who appear to have values just like yours end up going home after less than 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.