cost of living

Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

autra will become famous soon enoughautra will become famous soon enough
Wink cost of living

have been reading all peoples comments about cost of living , i live in the north of england my husband is a sub contractor in the electrical trade,we earn about £42000 per yr we live in a four bedroom detached house he drives a 4x4 i have a Lexus we holiday once a yr at Christmasfor 3 weeks to ie USA south Africa and we then try to have a short cheep break to spain mid yr, we have one child left at home aged 10yrs who does not go with out , ie computers mobile phones,etc. i shop at m&S and debenhams etc. we eat out once a week, we intend to sell everything in the uk and come over with about £80000, my husband will look to work with an electrical/fire ininstallation company at first, then eventually to again sub contract to the companies , i will work part time we hope to buy a nice new build, three bed house, on mortgage and a small 4x4 and a van, and slow life down a bit , will we be able to have the same standard of life, we have lived in south africa for 2 yrs once so we now about not comparing wages etc.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:46 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by autra
have been reading all peoples comments about cost of living , i live in the north of england my husband is a sub contractor in the electrical trade,we earn about £42000 per yr we live in a four bedroom detached house he drives a 4x4 i have a Lexus we holiday once a yr at Christmasfor 3 weeks to ie USA south Africa and we then try to have a short cheep break to spain mid yr, we have one child left at home aged 10yrs who does not go with out , ie computers mobile phones,etc. i shop at m&S and debenhams etc. we eat out once a week, we intend to sell everything in the uk and come over with about £80000, my husband will look to work with an electrical/fire ininstallation company at first, then eventually to again sub contract to the companies , i will work part time we hope to buy a nice new build, three bed house, on mortgage and a small 4x4 and a van, and slow life down a bit , will we be able to have the same standard of life, we have lived in south africa for 2 yrs once so we now about not comparing wages etc.
Don't know the answer to your question but I do know that your statements make very depressing reading for us. We are decent honest people (not saying that you're not ) who work hard non-stop. We cannot afford to eat out or have one holiday every year let alone two. I can't help but feel that your thread looks a bit like boasting.

Sorry if it's not.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:49 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi and welcome. you seem to have a high standard of living here in the uk, not sure about in oz etc, but would be interested in any replies .

amanda
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Don't know the answer to your question but I do know that your statements make very depressing reading for us. We are decent honest people (not saying that you're not ) who work hard non-stop. We cannot afford to eat out or have one holiday every year let alone two. I can't help but feel that your thread looks a bit like boasting.

Sorry if it's not.
no it is not , this is how we live in the uk and i do not wont to make a mistake selling up , then finding it hard in australia, then having to come back to the uk to start again, as we have done this once already, have you ?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I am not sure what your question is. Could you make it a bit clearer?

Katie
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:58 pm

what are your reasons for going to australia?

amanda
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:58 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

no it is not , this is how we live in the uk and i do not wont to make a mistake selling up , then finding it hard in australia, then having to come back to the uk to start again, as we have done this once already, have you ?

Hi Autra
Never been so really dont know about cost of living etc except from threads on here! So from what i have read i think the cost of living is pretty much the same but wages are less unless you are a tradesman in which you will probably earn the same or maybe more as they are in high demand!
( someone will correct me if im wrong)

Why are you going to Oz you seem to have a great lifestyle here!

Cheers
Kris
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I am not sure what your question is. Could you make it a bit clearer?

Katie
will my standards drop in oz( adelaied) comparied to uk, ie if i went shopping and bought a new outfit and then went food shopping general food , milk , bread ,breakfast cereal ,meat , shampoo ,toiletrolls ,etc, does this compare to the wages,
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:05 pm

Cheers
Kris[/QUOTE]

this was my thought!!!

amanda
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Hi Autra
Never been so really dont know about cost of living etc except from threads on here! So from what i have read i think the cost of living is pretty much the same but wages are less unless you are a tradesman in which you will probably earn the same or maybe more as they are in high demand!
( someone will correct me if im wrong)

Cheers
Kris
hi thanks for the reply, we do appreciate are lifestyle here but we now it is not for ever, my husband works most weekends at night on suppermarket re-fits around the country, this only lasts as long as your health, so you have to start planning .
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

will my standards drop in oz( adelaied) comparied to uk, ie if i went shopping and bought a new outfit and then went food shopping general food , milk , bread ,breakfast cereal ,meat , shampoo ,toiletrolls ,etc, does this compare to the wages,
I understand. I think to answer your question I would need to know how much an electrical contractor would earn in Oz, which I am afraid I don't.

I hope that someone can help you. Good luck.

Katie
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:11 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

hi thanks for the reply, we do appreciate are lifestyle here but we now it is not for ever, my husband works most weekends at night on suppermarket re-fits around the country, this only lasts as long as your health, so you have to start planning .
To be honest i think unless you work bloody hard as your hubby does here i think your lifestyle will go down materialistically anyway moving to the other side of the world does not mean you will have to work less and earn more!
Your lifestyle may improve as in more out door life etc!
This is only my opinion anyway

Kris
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:14 pm

oh it makes sence now!! ditto katiestars comments, but i can see why your anxious!! however i would just like to make the comment that you may not be able to have the "same" standard of living in the material sense but surely your standard of "lifesyle" will hopefully go up!!

more time for exploring, trips, spending time together. You say you have a ten yr old that "is still at home" i presume you have other children who have left home?? are they happy with the move? would your ten yr old be happy to do without mobiles etc ?

amanda
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by kris maynard
To be honest i think unless you work bloody hard as your hubby does here i think your lifestyle will go down materialistically anyway moving to the other side of the world does not mean you will have to work less and earn more!
Your lifestyle may improve as in more out door life etc!
This is only my opinion anyway

Kris
thnkyou
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by amanda76
oh it makes sence now!! ditto katiestars comments, but i can see why your anxious!! however i would just like to make the comment that you may not be able to have the "same" standard of living in the material sense but surely your standard of "lifesyle" will hopefully go up!!

more time for exploring, trips, spending time together. You say you have a ten yr old that "is still at home" i presume you have other children who have left home?? are they happy with the move? would your ten yr old be happy to do without mobiles etc ?

amanda
Hi i have 18yr old that will follow next yr she will have just hopefully passed her aats in accounts she hopes to find work in melborne, and no my 10yr old would still wont her mobile but she wiil just have to learn to look after her old one, i am sure swimming pool will have more pull to her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.