Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coping Strategies for phobia

Coping Strategies for phobia

Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:16 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coping Strategies for phobia

Originally Posted by Catfucius
OH MY GOD Jay that sounds fantastic on the one hand and yet spine tingly sickening on the other!

did anyone faint!,, i cant remove the buggers, in fact i bought one of those stick things with brushes on the end to remove any from my house and my hand shakes lifting it up towards the critters ! i cant crush the things either! so im caught between a rock and a hard place..but i will bookmark what you said cos i know for sure i will need all the help i can get , thanks for mentioning it

hey jay what did the guy say in this bit......The session begins with an explanation, by hypnotherapist John Clifford, of how phobias can become established,...id love to know how these ideas get formed..

Hi. Don't worry - nobody fainted - there's no pressure to get close etc - all at own pace. I think you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes. For me about 100% better.

From what I remember he said there are 3 main reasons - First (and main one) is picking it up from parents (esp mum); Second is if you've had a fright (like one crawling on your hand as a kid) - sometimes don't even necessarily remember it but stays with you subconsciously; and Third is just gradually picked up over time and sort of enforced by their bad press/images/scary movies/other people's fears etc.

But ultimately doesn't matter as you can unlearn it. Nothing to lose by trying. Apart from getting rid of spider myths/fears, the main practical focus of the course was really just to be able to catch it under a dish, put piece of card under to trap it and then release - i.e. about being in control. Anything else (holding it etc) is just a bonus. Good luck
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Catfucius will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lettik
I hear ya!! phobic to hyperventilating on occasion! I have got better since talking with a psychologist a few years ago (don't know how like...) and providing its not too big can now (taking about half an hour) place a glass over it and maybe remove it if the card is thick enough. If its on a wall, I've been known to stand glued, panting looking at it for ages before placing glass over it and then can't move!!.....even at that, it can't be higher than me for me to do this.

I've not arrived in Aus yet, but what I'm doing is looking at our common spiders (if they aren't huge) and going up close for a look. My theory is that if I can understand the small ones, and even by the time I go pick one up then maybe the big ones in oz won't seem quite so scary.....I'm probably totally kidding myself, but worth a try.

I'd like, well maybe like isn't the right word, to try the zoo thing, but I live in Ireland.

For some reason wolf spiders are the things that have me quaking - don't they carry their babies on their backs or something..... huntsmens are mostly legs aren't they? like a big house spider you get here???

Snakes, sharks anything else - bring it on!!

hmmm yes the wolf spiders, from what ive been told (?) these are the cantankerous farts of the spiders! not much in the personality stakes!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Catfucius will become famous soon enough

Hi MTPockets, thanks for the info...much appreciated