Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contract mobile phones in uk

Contract mobile phones in uk

Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice
Default Re: Contract mobile phones in uk

Originally Posted by wats123
Of course your credit rating will be affected. It will be marked on your credit file. So your also saying your prepared to get a phone worth a couple of hundred pounds? for free and not pay your line rental?
That was someone else who said that but No i'm not getting a new phone myself as that would be dishonest
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:01 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Surely, you will pay up your contract then if your prepared to get a free phone from your network provider?
Nope..The network providers offer you free phones when you enter the last third of your contract. They wont run the risk of letting you get near the end of your deal where you would be free to join other network providers.

Now I did only say MAYBE I would take them up on the offer of getting a free phone. No matter what I do I'll still be under contract when the time comes to go so it makes no difference.

If at the time of the offer of the free phone I still havent received my visa then why should I not take them up on their offer....after all its no gaurantee I'll be getting an oz visa.

If anyone has let their phone contract run down to the last weeks... then you will know what I mean...The network providers literally bombard you with calls for offers for this and deals for that just so you stay with them. Its swings and roundabouts
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by perksy
Nope..The network providers offer you free phones when you enter the last third of your contract. They wont run the risk of letting you get near the end of your deal where you would be free to join other network providers.

Now I did only say MAYBE I would take them up on the offer of getting a free phone. No matter what I do I'll still be under contract when the time comes to go so it makes no difference.

If at the time of the offer of the free phone I still havent received my visa then why should I not take them up on their offer....after all its no gaurantee I'll be getting an oz visa.

If anyone has let their phone contract run down to the last weeks... then you will know what I mean...The network providers literally bombard you with calls for offers for this and deals for that just so you stay with them. Its swings and roundabouts
I will be leaving my contrct, unfortunatly. This is going to be the only debt I will leave behind, I dont want to do it but I phoned my mobile phone company (3), and they said that they would not decrease the amount that I would have to pay, despite me telling them that I will not be in the country, have no forewording address and will have only 3 months left. I said to them that I would just leave if they did reduce the amount I would have to pay he simply said I would if i were you.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:15 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
I will be leaving my contrct, unfortunatly. This is going to be the only debt I will leave behind, I dont want to do it but I phoned my mobile phone company (3), and they said that they would not decrease the amount that I would have to pay, despite me telling them that I will not be in the country, have no forewording address and will have only 3 months left. I said to them that I would just leave if they did reduce the amount I would have to pay he simply said I would if i were you.
Totally agree with you. If they wont play ball why should you?

I'm with orange and theyre no better..appalling customer service...takes you ages to get through to them and when you do.....its the Delhi call centre
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Totally agree with you. If they wont play ball why should you?

I'm with orange and theyre no better..appalling customer service...takes you ages to get through to them and when you do.....its the Delhi call centre
But you agreed to a contract? and if they give you a phone for free, which is really worth 200 - 300 pounds thats why you have to sign or agree to a new contract.

Basically, they'll register a debt on your credit file, so as long as you don't come back you'll be ok. Well till experian go over to Oz...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:52 pm
Cad and bounder

But you agreed to a contract? and if they give you a phone for free, which is really worth 200 - 300 pounds thats why you have to sign or agree to a new contract.

Basically, they'll register a debt on your credit file, so as long as you don't come back you'll be ok. Well till experian go over to Oz...

If experian went to oz it wouldn't make any difference though would it because as its a UK debt it can only be enforcable on these shores. So it wouldnt make a difference to my credit rating in oz.

Its my network providers fault if they want to offer a prospective immigrant a new phone...they shot themselves in the foot by being too greedy by trying to tie customers into lengthy contracts...it used to be 12 months but more commonly its now 18months
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
They did for a while but I just ignored the letters. My Dad redirected them to me and in the end just wrote return to sender, left country on the envelope and popped it back in the mailbox.
legend
Old May 18th 2008, 8:15 pm
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough

They are all a pain in the bum! I was with one provider on a month to month contract as I never took them up on their new phone, knowing fine well I would be leaving in a few months. Its still took a two months to finally get the contract cancelled down! It seemed I perpetually owed them money and two months after getting it sorted they wanted a new direct debit! I am going to ignore any more letters from them, it becomes a joke after a while. I dont blame some of you doing a runner, they would bleed you dry if they could!

Scottie.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:54 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

I canx my contract with o2 3mths early - gave them notice etc and all was good (ive been with them for 7 years so theyve had plenty of ££'s out of me) - kept it connected for our first 2 weeks here and just paid the final bill £80 ouch...will wait and see if they play up....
KOH's phone has been a nightmare since we got it -(got signed into wrong contract despite having contract details in writing from a store etc..)
so we didnt renew the contract due to moving, told them we were moving, kept the contract as a rolling pay monthly one - now theyve been shitty demanding 7mths contract fees, apparently the guy who agreed to a rolling contract had no authorisation to do so and KOH was signed into another 12 mth contract. Ive told them they can shove it! its been paid uptodate, including 2 weeks here at stupid rates so they can whistle for any more money. apparently we'll owe about £175

on another note of rip off companies...council tax - theyve driven me mad...i organised a payment plan - with me breaking leg n all our income went down etc - last payment for 07/08 paid on march 15th, then we get a little hitler firing out notices that if the full amount (£80) wasnt paid by 01/03/08 they were taking me to court...i had massive rows with them, waived payment plan at them etc - i paid the last payment on the 15th, and before we left we got a letter demanding another £80 court fees for non payment of council tax....just waiting to see if they chase us here and id like to see them enforce a bill of non payment when there is no outstanding bill!
Old May 18th 2008, 11:06 pm
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by katsmajic
I canx my contract with o2 3mths early - gave them notice etc and all was good (ive been with them for 7 years so theyve had plenty of ££'s out of me) - kept it connected for our first 2 weeks here and just paid the final bill £80 ouch...will wait and see if they play up....
KOH's phone has been a nightmare since we got it -(got signed into wrong contract despite having contract details in writing from a store etc..)
so we didnt renew the contract due to moving, told them we were moving, kept the contract as a rolling pay monthly one - now theyve been shitty demanding 7mths contract fees, apparently the guy who agreed to a rolling contract had no authorisation to do so and KOH was signed into another 12 mth contract. Ive told them they can shove it! its been paid uptodate, including 2 weeks here at stupid rates so they can whistle for any more money. apparently we'll owe about £175

on another note of rip off companies...council tax - theyve driven me mad...i organised a payment plan - with me breaking leg n all our income went down etc - last payment for 07/08 paid on march 15th, then we get a little hitler firing out notices that if the full amount (£80) wasnt paid by 01/03/08 they were taking me to court...i had massive rows with them, waived payment plan at them etc - i paid the last payment on the 15th, and before we left we got a letter demanding another £80 court fees for non payment of council tax....just waiting to see if they chase us here and id like to see them enforce a bill of non payment when there is no outstanding bill!
Just keep refusing to pay if you believe they are in the wrong, eventually they will give up. Either that keep sending the letters to the head of collections, bypass all the minions and donkies as you never get anywhere!

I was cancelling my gym membership and gave them a months notice, they wanted a callender months notice but I refused. Eventually we came to a compromise I paid a part months billing of £7.00 to end the contract instead of a further £48, so its pays to complain if you feel your being unfairly treated. Plus it helps if you have your braini in gear when it comes to your billing etc..then they know your not someone just trying to get away with not paying.

Scottie x
Old May 19th 2008, 2:53 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

If experian went to oz it wouldn't make any difference though would it because as its a UK debt it can only be enforcable on these shores. So it wouldnt make a difference to my credit rating in oz.
Wrong - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1994/Uksi_19941901_en_1.htm

Its my network providers fault if they want to offer a prospective immigrant a new phone...they shot themselves in the foot by being too greedy by trying to tie customers into lengthy contracts...it used to be 12 months but more commonly its now 18months
...and of course, customers choosing not to enter into a payg or short contract option would be their fault also.

From this thread it looks like Australia is turning into a penial colony again, only this time the thiefs are coming under their own steam.
Old May 19th 2008, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

paulspenceley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
If you are with 3, you can just take the phone with you and use it in Australia to make inclusive minute calls back to the UK. 3 Have a network in Australia, and as long as your phone is logged onto 3 over there, your phone will work exactly the same as in the UK.

If you plan to make a lot of calls back to the UK (particularly to UK mobiles), it is the cheapest way to do it.
Old May 19th 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Call your provider up and say that you have been made unemployed. Then ask if you can be removed from your contract and become a pay as you go customer.