Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contract mobile phones in uk

Contract mobile phones in uk

Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:39 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contract mobile phones in uk

Does everyone pay them off before going to australia? or ring your network provider and say i'll pay my latest bill but I aint paying the rest of my contract off?

Hmm just wondering what the best plan is with this one as i'll be half way through my contract when the time comes to get on that plane
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:00 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contract mobile phones in uk

Originally Posted by perksy
Does everyone pay them off before going to australia? or ring your network provider and say i'll pay my latest bill but I aint paying the rest of my contract off?

Hmm just wondering what the best plan is with this one as i'll be half way through my contract when the time comes to get on that plane
Negotiate with them. They will want all the money for the remaining line rental. Dont pay that obviously. Just reason with them and say well you dont have a forwarding address for me, I'm leaving the country and don't give a crap about my credit rating since I'm not returning. Lets just agree on a final sum hey ?

It does work and you will have to pay something for them to come to the party.

The obvious other choice is simply not paying but moral judgements aside this will lead to debt collection etc etc But thats for the normal, leaving debt behind <insert moral outrage here> threads.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Well it seems whatever you do they want money from you. I gave mine a months notice (I wasn't tied in), and they sent me a letter saying I had not signed the notice letter. It was the only thing I had to send a letter for, and hubbie had to remind me to sign my unmarried name, stood there watching me, and then put it in the envelope with his, so we KNOW it was signed.
So I phone up, tell them i am not happy, they ask security questions and tell me yes it will now be cancelled from the date of the letter.
Three months later and they have only just cancelled the sodding thing, but are still trying to tell me I owe them money! Idiots.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:38 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for your replies. I'm kind of siding with just paying off my latest bill with them I aint got a problem with that. I dont really fancy paying off the remainder of the contract as I feel why pay for a service I'm not receiving, and no doubt my phone number will be assigned to someone else before my plane even takes off.

Yep I know I'm opening myself up to all the people who think its its immoral etc but was just wondering what most people did
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Cheers for your replies. I'm kind of siding with just paying off my latest bill with them I aint got a problem with that. I dont really fancy paying off the remainder of the contract as I feel why pay for a service I'm not receiving, and no doubt my phone number will be assigned to someone else before my plane even takes off.

Yep I know I'm opening myself up to all the people who think its its immoral etc but was just wondering what most people did
if you have no intention of paying for it, then could you at least switch to a lower talkplan? that way the debt that that will be registered against you won't be as high.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Negotiate with them. They will want all the money for the remaining line rental. Dont pay that obviously. Just reason with them and say well you dont have a forwarding address for me, I'm leaving the country and don't give a crap about my credit rating since I'm not returning. Lets just agree on a final sum hey ?

It does work and you will have to pay something for them to come to the party.

The obvious other choice is simply not paying but moral judgements aside this will lead to debt collection etc etc But thats for the normal, leaving debt behind <insert moral outrage here> threads.
I tried that with vodafone but they wanted the full contract paying out. Whilst I don't normally condone the borrow and f**k off attitude (as in loans and overdrafts etc) I wasn't paying these fluckers for something I wasn't getting so I just did a runner owing about 100 quid
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

And have they tried chasing you for this? It is Vodafone who are trying to say I own money when I don't (or I would be happy to pay it).
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
And have they tried chasing you for this? It is Vodafone who are trying to say I own money when I don't (or I would be happy to pay it).
They did for a while but I just ignored the letters. My Dad redirected them to me and in the end just wrote return to sender, left country on the envelope and popped it back in the mailbox.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:02 pm
Cad and bounder

I have decided that I wont be paying for a service I wont be using.
I'm quite happy to pay my bill upto the moment I leave but i wont be paying thereafter.

Morally wrong? maybe. I dont care
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

I suppose it depends on if you have had a free phone from them in the last year. I haven't had a new phone for over two years even though I was due one as I knew we were leaving. I wish I had now I have had these problems with them.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

I guess the only issues you will have would be IF you ever came back to the UK, as your credit rating will be affected.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:45 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I suppose it depends on if you have had a free phone from them in the last year. I haven't had a new phone for over two years even though I was due one as I knew we were leaving. I wish I had now I have had these problems with them.
Maybe I'll get a new phone before I go. I will be due one I've got the Nokia N95 at the mo and its crap...constantly freezes and battery life very poor. As far as i can remember when you get a new phone your contract restarts again (12 or 18 month depending) so no matter what I'll still have a contract outstanding when I leave.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maybe I'll get a new phone before I go. I will be due one I've got the Nokia N95 at the mo and its crap...constantly freezes and battery life very poor. As far as i can remember when you get a new phone your contract restarts again (12 or 18 month depending) so no matter what I'll still have a contract outstanding when I leave.
Surely, you will pay up your contract then if your prepared to get a free phone from your network provider?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

I may also have the same problem but I have 4 phones due to children. I also dont think its right to rip off the mobile networks as we all know they bend over backwards to help you NOT!!

I would like to contact them to explain but if your on 3 network you will understand the reason you can't.

However, move into rented accommodation and change you contract address. If you then return, your credit rating may not be affected.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa
I may also have the same problem but I have 4 phones due to children. I also dont think its right to rip off the mobile networks as we all know they bend over backwards to help you NOT!!

I would like to contact them to explain but if your on 3 network you will understand the reason you can't.

However, move into rented accommodation and change you contract address. If you then return, your credit rating may not be affected.
Of course your credit rating will be affected. It will be marked on your credit file. So your also saying your prepared to get a phone worth a couple of hundred pounds? for free and not pay your line rental?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.