Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

contemplating Australia

contemplating Australia

Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:09 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: contemplating Australia

Originally Posted by renth
You've obviously not been to many places then. Ever been to Spain? My black pal keeps going on about how, even on a packed metro, there would be 2 empty seats either side of him. He couldn't wait to get back to the UK.
Yea, I've been to spain, and yes your right, but the difference here is that they actually say it out loud, and on the radio and tv too. The level of debate out here is amazing, don't get me wrong I find it all very funny and entertaining but really in a recent TV interview some senior politician said something like, 'Well you should't be reading a book by that ar*sehole anyway'! Top comment. To any one wanting a laugh just watch the politicians having a *debate* and then think back to when you ver 5 and just starting primary school.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by arkon
I think the underlying point I was trying to make is that most people when they come here on holiday and then do their exploritory pre emmigration trips, start to think and be misled that everything is cheaper our here and when people ask will $50k per year be enough, they need to be informed that all is not a bed of roses and the fee's although relatively small soon mount up.
The problem with your original post is that some of it is exaggerated and some of it is just wrong.

Posts that do this can badly inform others.

Posts that accurately identify problems with the country are very informative, and can lead to people getting correct information which is very useful to them.

Posts that exaggerate and do not contain the truth, can end up being disbelieved, and any really useful parts can get then get ignored.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:12 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
So the buyer pays, just as you did! Or am I confused as you?
On the subject of transfer fees and the like, I have never owned, or had the prospect of owning, a boat or trailer in the UK so don't know the situation there - however I would expect to pay a fee over a boat as it is a sizeable hunk of a structure - ownership of which should require fees/courses and the like - even a dingy has safety issues. I'd expect any government to levy a fee even if it stops a young teenager from buying a hunk of scrap just because he could, and then to recoup administrative costs.

You're not buying a bag of apples, you're buying a sizeable bit of kit whether or not it is a car or a boat. I don't mind paying a fee to own something that can kill, maim or block my driveway, cause an eyesore, cause an accident on the road..lol

that's the way I look at it cars and boats, like houses are serious business and attract serious prices and fees. lol.

Badge
Fair cop mate. Consider myself chastised and from now on I will be forever smiling and thankfull that I dont have to register my bag of apples. Oh no! what if I want 50kg of apples and need to tow them home, Sh*t back to the RTA to find out if theres a bulk apple towing fee.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:25 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The problem with your original post is that some of it is exaggerated and some of it is just wrong.

Posts that do this can badly inform others.

Posts that accurately identify problems with the country are very informative, and can lead to people getting correct information which is very useful to them.

Posts that exaggerate and do not contain the truth, can end up being disbelieved, and any really useful parts can get then get ignored.
Nothing I've said was untruthfull, unpalatable maybe, slightly exaggerated maybe, I too went through 3 years of being really excited at the prospect of coming here and I can see from peoples tickers and comments they too are going through the rollercoaster of emotions that we too went through to get here. All I was trying to do is say it like I saw it, 1st hand, if I wrote a particular comment in a more enthusiastic and emmotional way then thats because it had that effect on us at the time. But if I do dampen slightly peoples expectations and give them just a small hint at the negatives, then if it turns out to be not so bad for them then hopefully they will be plesently supprised.
I was also only trying to say, why not think about moving maybe somewhere else in the uk 1st. I wish I had.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:28 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people on this forum will have done that. One of the reasons that such people will be more able to get on with living somewhere else - even a different country.

<snip> I was also only trying to say, why not think about moving maybe somewhere else in the uk 1st. I wish I had.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Geordie George
A lot of people on this forum will have done that. One of the reasons that such people will be more able to get on with living somewhere else - even a different country.
And as has been said on this forum countless times, not everyone expects a perfect 'promised land'.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:33 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

What, you mean your bit of Sydney aint paved with gold?

Originally Posted by Stu.E
And as has been said on this forum countless times, not everyone expects a perfect 'promised land'.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

My bit of Bendigo is....actually, most of Bendigo is as it was built on Gold!!!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately not. I expected uninterrupted sunshine, Roos and Koalas in my yard, crime free streets, an honest government and endless opportunities for all...................I'm very disappointed you know.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting figures from your link:

"In the last five years there have been 8,100 British deaths from malignant melanoma compared to 4,900 in Australia. "
I must be very thick today, doesnt australia have one third the population of UK, so that makes the OZ figure very high.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

you've given me DOUBLE demerit points on my licence because I commited a driving offence at xmas, easter and any other public holiday
you complain about the driving, doesn't sound like you are any great shakes, either. Anyway, these are probably high accident seasons, it's good sense to me

You recommended to Blurred that he should try a different part of the Uk, have you considered your own advice and tried a different part of Australia?

Last edited by Shellfish; Jul 5th 2005 at 6:04 am.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, lets do a scientific experiment then, you sit out in it naked for 30 minutes a day during summer and lets see what happens after a few years Did I mention the woman here all look at least 10-20 years older than what they actually are, The sun seems to age you much faster. Besides comparing UK cancer rates to Australia is like comparing apples and pears, too many other factors to be scientific.
People do look much older, not just women tho, men especially those who work outside, my son is in grade 6, some of the kids are already developing lines around the eyes and frown lines, I assume from squinting, into the sun. The first murmers of compulsory sunglasses for children at school should be taken seriously.

Someone commented you cant get cancer from just a few minutes in the sun, thats not true, obvioulsy the more time outside the higher your overall chance, but you can get the cell damage needed to start the cancer in just a few minutes.

Its a dead argument when these threads turn into UK V OZ on the sun, the australian government acknowledges it has one of the most dangerous climates in the world, when exactly does the UV index in the UK read just 9 minutes in the sun, very high danger, thats a common reading here.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 5th 2005 at 6:05 am.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:05 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think this just about sums up arkons post ........ .
Mrs D - we must be psychotic (or whatever it's called :scared: ). I was thinking just the same thing...

Surely, though, the point is this: whether you move 12000 miles or 1200 miles to a different country, it is bound to be DIFFERENT from home. It will be good in some ways, and bad in others, and this change does not suit everyone. For some, like Arkon, it ends up being one long spell of torture. For others, myself included, it's one big roller-coaster ride of an adventure! Each to his/her own.

Anya.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:07 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question! I'm now stuck here, we brought our dogs over and can't put them through the ordeal of the flight and quarentine again, To all you people without dogs you won't understand, but we just cant put them through it again, so I estimate staying for about another 12-14 years untill they are both passed away then its look out blighty here I come back!!
Yep, interest post, we didn't know how good we had it in England.....until we came here.....

I feel as though I've settled for second best.

Don't let yourself get stuck here forever!!!!!!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:10 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

It's not all that bad Where exactly are you ?
Do you think he hails from that olde Expat settlement of STANTON??

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.