Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

contemplating Australia

contemplating Australia

Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:20 am
aussie73

Default Re: contemplating Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
Hmmmm. geez I need to think hard on this one... I think most people after such a large commitment like the ordeal of getting the visa, which I have to say in my opinion is only about once again raising revenue, can't then admit to people, family, friends & forums just how different and how much of a poor cousin australia is. Back to your question... I'd like to say the weather, but this is very subjective, summer is toooo hot. Sumer is like the UK in winter on a very rainy day, you cant go out side, even the ausies admit they don't like summer, my family have been here 30 years or more and still can't wait for summer to be over. but if you like sun that will give you cancer after 30 minutes then thats a positive. Sorry still not answering the question...

Positives:- People very friendly, hardly any immegrants in rural areas, Lovely deserted huge beaches, excellent bird life and other wildlife, Food is not bad but not up to european standards, cheap beer, good looking woman (in cities only), cheap wine,Teenagers pay a pittance in car insurance so all drive V8 6Liter super cars,Land is cheap (rural only) thats about it.

Heres a short list of whats bad just so all you 'grass is greener' brigade know exactly what your in for....

* Poor educatoinal standard in state schools
* workers have no desire to be measured on standards
* jobs worths
* 6 men to do 1 mans job
* road works don't use trafic lights, 6 people with lollypop sticks will do
* inconsistant fee structure in medical stuff
* imported goods have high import dutys so are very expensive
* internet comercial ussage at about UK 1990 level but with broadband common
* impossible to get a price on goods in most industrial estate shops
* don't try buying over the internet from abroad
* union mad
* can't have a meal here unless your a member
* can't join this club if you belong to another within 5 km
* I only want a pint, not a half!!
* Want a boat, you need to pay a fee
* want to fish, you need a licence
* want an air rifle, sell your 1st born son
* want something delivered within a week, sell your 2nd son
* want to buy from ebay? pay more for postage than the winning bid!
* Postmen wont deliver if it cant be done from a sitting position
* Postman will deliver a card to say 'cant be arsed to deliver your small parcel come and get it your self'
* Pay all your income in tax unless you pay all your income in accountants fees
* You must have more than 1 can of car spray paint in this whole town!
* What!! I'm not allowed to buy ring main wire unless I have a certificate?
* What!! you cant do any DIY work thats worth over $5000 without going on a builders course!
* What!! I can't come and work for you unless *I* have liability insurance!!
* What!! I have to pay a fine because *YOU* stole my car!!
* What!! you want how much to put this car on the road?
* What!! you've given me DOUBLE demerit points on my licence because I commited a driving offence at xmas, easter and any other public holiday. was my crime worse because jesus was born?
* 'On my oath!' means I'm lying thru my teeth

Thats it, there's plenty more but I've got to go now and buy my return ticket!
l disagree with you about summer in OZ. Most Aussies look foward to summer not dread it like a British winter. Most summer days it is not too hot to go outdoors, most of the time during summer it is under 30c degress,
The warm weather gives Aussies a chance to enjoy some of the best beaches in the world. There are a hell of alot more days in the Uk where it is too cold and wet to go outdoors then days where it is too hot in OZ to go out. How hot it is during summer varies from different parts of the country,, for example Brisbane and Perth have hotter summers then Sydney or Melbourne where you only get around 15-25 hot days over 35c degrees during summer.
As for skin cancer Britain actually has more skin cancer deaths then Australia.
Heart disease from junk food and lung cancer fom smoking kills many times more people in OZ then skin cancer. Dying of skin cancer after 30 minutes in the OZ sun is one of those stupid myths scare stories people have about OZ ,
yes it could happen but you would be more likely to be hit by a bus.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/pres...releases/44278

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 5th 2005 at 12:40 am.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:28 am
Badge

Originally Posted by aussie73
l disagree with you about summer in OZ. Most Aussies look foward to summer not dread it like a British winter.
hmmm..my experience:
I've heard Aussies mention about a particularly hot day when the humidity is particularly high, but I have never heard one not look forward to summer. Summer is when Christmas, hols all turn up etc.

Even in Brissy. I was told by Brisbanites - you do get used to it - its at its worst for a few months. Probably outweights the 'few' months of winter in the UK.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Jul 5th 2005 at 12:32 am.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:33 am
Badge

Arkon

BTW the way I am familiar with the mid-north -north Coasts, well I have lived there and all I can say is, they are a mixed bag in a way. They don't quite compete with the other costal areas in regards to overseas tourists and their economies are quite slow.

Badge

Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Positives:- ... hardly any immegrants in rural areas ..

I think this just about sums up arkons post ........ .
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:49 am
ABCDiamond

Interesting figures from your link:

"In the last five years there have been 8,100 British deaths from malignant melanoma compared to 4,900 in Australia. "

Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Sanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really nice

I would just like to add to arkon's comments. When I read it, there was so much of it that I could relate to. We have been here for nearly four months.
In addition to what arkon wrote, we have also experienced some racism. Something I have never experienced since my school days, years ago, in the UK. Both being British born Indians, my wife and I were really quite shocked. The first incident happened within the second week of entering Oz (Brisbane). My wife was not feeling well at all, so we visited Royal Brisbane Hospital Emergency. We waited for a couple of hours, after which I asked a Registered Nurse approximately how much longer it would be before we were seen. I was told "Shoudln't be too long, we are a bit short staffed today". I replied "no problem, we'll wait, I understand that you are pretty busy". The nurse responded with "yes, the staff shortage is a real problem, we need more doctors. Not foreign doctors, we need more AUSTRALIAN doctors with AUSTRALIAN training and AUSTRALIAN breeding, NOT foreign ones."
I thought nothing of it, just thought the nurse was patriotic, but I did think, why she repeated the word FOREIGN word a few times.
After a couple of minutes, my wife, who is also an RN, said that she realised why that nurse made those comments. It was because of the Doctor Death scandal. It finally clicked to us both of us that this was the reason. When faced with such racism, I guess we were in such shock, we did not even realise it. It all came together. THe way the woman made the comments, her manner, the absolute hatred in her eyes, it was sad.
We were eventually seen by a doctor, and left. The next day, I went to the hospital and met with the Complaints Manager. I explained the situation and our experiences, and was told that this was unacceptable, she would investigate the matter. For weeks, I did not get any follow up. I called a few times, and had to repeat my conversation several times with other people. Eventually, a month later, another person contacted me. She was from the executive team of the hospital. She apologised profusely, and said that the nurse in question denies the allegations. There was nothing that could be done. That was the end of the matter.
I feel in my heart that there is an under-lying racism factor here. This incident is one of a few that we have experienced. If it was a one-off, I would almost accept it, as there are always going to be people like this in the world, and racism, will never be totally erradicated. But it was not, we have had at least 4 or 5 other seperate incidents of racism. It may be because Brisbane is not as much of a multicultural melting pot as Sydney or Melbourne. Nevertheless it does upset and hurt. I can only hope that thing get better.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:57 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm. geez I need to think hard on this one... I think most people after such a large commitment like the ordeal of getting the visa, which I have to say in my opinion is only about once again raising revenue, can't then admit to people, family, friends & forums just how different and how much of a poor cousin australia is. Back to your question... I'd like to say the weather, but this is very subjective, summer is toooo hot. Sumer is like the UK in winter on a very rainy day, you cant go out side, even the ausies admit they don't like summer, my family have been here 30 years or more and still can't wait for summer to be over. but if you like sun that will give you cancer after 30 minutes then thats a positive. Sorry still not answering the question...

Positives:- People very friendly, hardly any immegrants in rural areas, Lovely deserted huge beaches, excellent bird life and other wildlife, Food is not bad but not up to european standards, cheap beer, good looking woman (in cities only), cheap wine,Teenagers pay a pittance in car insurance so all drive V8 6Liter super cars,Land is cheap (rural only) thats about it.

Heres a short list of whats bad just so all you 'grass is greener' brigade know exactly what your in for....

* Poor educatoinal standard in state schools
* workers have no desire to be measured on standards
* jobs worths
* 6 men to do 1 mans job
* road works don't use trafic lights, 6 people with lollypop sticks will do
* inconsistant fee structure in medical stuff
* imported goods have high import dutys so are very expensive
* internet comercial ussage at about UK 1990 level but with broadband common
* impossible to get a price on goods in most industrial estate shops
* don't try buying over the internet from abroad
* union mad
* can't join this club if you belong to another within 5 km
* I only want a pint, not a half!!
* Want a boat, you need to pay a fee
* want to fish, you need a licence
* want an air rifle, sell your 1st born son
* want something delivered within a week, sell your 2nd son
* want to buy from ebay? pay more for postage than the winning bid!
* Postmen wont deliver if it cant be done from a sitting position
* Postman will deliver a card to say 'cant be arsed to deliver your small parcel come and get it your self'
* Pay all your income in tax unless you pay all your income in accountants fees
* You must have more than 1 can of car spray paint in this whole town!
* What!! I'm not allowed to buy ring main wire unless I have a certificate?
* What!! you cant do any DIY work thats worth over $5000 without going on a builders course!
* What!! I can't come and work for you unless *I* have liability insurance!!
* What!! I have to pay a fine because *YOU* stole my car!!
* What!! you want how much to put this car on the road?
* What!! you've given me DOUBLE demerit points on my licence because I commited a driving offence at xmas, easter and any other public holiday. was my crime worse because jesus was born?
* 'On my oath!' means I'm lying thru my teeth

Thats it, there's plenty more but I've got to go now and buy my return ticket!
Sounds like your just a negative person.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:58 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nik
I am sorry you don't like Australia, but I must say, your previous rant had me laughing all the way through, so it has cheered me up no end this afternoon. Not that that helps you!! If it makes you feel any better, it is chucking it down here, surely too hot sun is better than none?!!
If it makes you feel any better its chucking it down here too, 3 days solid, and when it rains here you need a scuba divers suit on to go out side, So when it rains you can't go out, when its sunny you cant go out, Oh and when its dark or dusk you cant go out unless your covered in DDT.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:07 am
ABCDiamond

If it makes you feel any better its chucking it down here too, 3 days solid, and when it rains here you need a scuba divers suit on to go out side, So when it rains you can't go out, when its sunny you cant go out, Oh and when its dark or dusk you cant go out unless your covered in DDT.
It's not all that bad Where exactly are you ?

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:11 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

l disagree with you about summer in OZ. Most Aussies look foward to summer not dread it like a British winter. Most summer days it is not too hot to go outdoors, most of the time during summer it is under 30c degress,
The warm weather gives Aussies a chance to enjoy some of the best beaches in the world. There are a hell of alot more days in the Uk where it is too cold and wet to go outdoors then days where it is too hot in OZ to go out. How hot it is during summer varies from different parts of the country,, for example Brisbane and Perth have hotter summers then Sydney or Melbourne where you only get around 15-25 hot days over 35c degrees during summer.
Heart disease from junk food and lung cancer fom smoking kills many times more people in OZ then skin cancer. Dying of skin cancer after 30 minutes in the OZ sun is one of those stupid myths scare stories people have about OZ ,
yes it could happen but you would be more likely to be hit by a bus.

I agree, lets do a scientific experiment then, you sit out in it naked for 30 minutes a day during summer and lets see what happens after a few years Did I mention the woman here all look at least 10-20 years older than what they actually are, The sun seems to age you much faster. Besides comparing UK cancer rates to Australia is like comparing apples and pears, too many other factors to be scientific.

Your right tho most summer days are below 30, but if your working outside as I am then aircon is useless to you and your work ethic quickly degenerates into that of a spanish person, mañana, mañana, mañana, find me a tree quick, preferably one thats not on fire! Bugger I cant sit under it cos the fire ants just bit my ar*se!

The reason the Australians are glad summer gets here is they get most of it off from work on holiday! Not because of the weather.

I love it really The physical country that is, if only if only I didn't have to deal with beurocrats.

Heres another fact for you all.... Don't become an employer out here, because on top of the employees holiday entitlement they also have a sick leave entitlement, but here that means if they have not been off sick this year you have to pay them the 4 weeks or so sick leave pay. its like bribing children to go to school
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:18 am
ABCDiamond

Heres another fact for you all.... Don't become an employer out here, because on top of the employees holiday entitlement they also have a sick leave entitlement, but here that means if they have not been off sick this year you have to pay them the 4 weeks or so sick leave pay. its like bribing children to go to school
I must have missed that bit when I was employing people

There are a few places that do that, but not very many from what I have seen.

I am beginning to wonder if all your statements are actually based on fact ?

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:20 am
ABCDiamond

Where do you eat ? Most places are not like that, only the members only clubs.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:22 am
ABCDiamond

And if you should want to sell some thing with wheels on it then you pay again to transfer it!
Are you sure that you have to pay to transfer it ? Or is it the buyer that does the paying ?

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:25 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I must have missed that bit when I was employing people

There are a few places that do that, but not very many from what I have seen.

I am beginning to wonder if all your statements are actually based on fact ?
Well during a rant sometimes the facts get exaggerated, but they are all based on observation, and a lot of what i've come across in the last 8 months or so. as for the 4 weeks sick leave i'm not sure of the duration but speaking to a couple of business men here that came from the uk, they seemed to think it was very expensive to employ people here, and one of the factors was the sick leave *entitlement*
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:26 am
Badge

I agree, lets do a scientific experiment then, you sit out in it naked for 30 minutes a day during summer and lets see what happens after a few years Did I mention the woman here all look at least 10-20 years older than what they actually are, The sun seems to age you much faster. Besides comparing UK cancer rates to Australia is like comparing apples and pears, too many other factors to be scientific.

Your right tho most summer days are below 30, but if your working outside as I am then aircon is useless to you and your work ethic quickly degenerates into that of a spanish person, mañana, mañana, mañana, find me a tree quick, preferably one thats not on fire! Bugger I cant sit under it cos the fire ants just bit my ar*se!

The reason the Australians are glad summer gets here is they get most of it off from work on holiday! Not because of the weather.

I love it really The physical country that is, if only if only I didn't have to deal with beurocrats.

Taking away sensationalism, most australians are well aware of the greater risks here and compensate appropriately - in ways that British people, quite simply, don't. I find that Central Europeans are far more savvy than the Brits when it comes to sun.

The older generation are paying dearly for their sun excess in their youth. The 1980s bought quite a change.

Your story of working outside rings a bell. I remember working outside in the heat and took precautionary measures and coped OK. Physical fitness helps. Having said that, other work was extreme and only a tiny proportion get selected for the job let alone stick it for any length of time so coping with that helped me put it all in to perspective. It was the hardest thing I ever done, save maybe for dragging a log 3 ks at a run over hills but even that was over in 15 minutes.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.