Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Construction industry jobs, Bris vs Syd vs Mel?

Construction industry jobs, Bris vs Syd vs Mel?

Old May 25th 2014, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction industry jobs, Bris vs Syd vs Mel?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I just don't know why it would be on the radar, it is not famous for anything and most wouldn't know a lot about Brisbane. I am not suggesting it as a scientific fact that it would not be on the radar though!
I think many people do research when emigrating. They may decide they want to be in one of the bigger cities on the east coast...then look at the various pluses and minuses and come up with Brisbane (or other cities) providing the best balance of what they want and can afford.

The other ways it happens I imagine is through visits to family/friends, reccie's, job offers, state visa lists, television shows, backpacking experiences, marriage etc

Last edited by fish.01; May 25th 2014 at 1:16 am.
Old May 25th 2014, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think many people do research when emigrating. They may decide they want to be in one of the bigger cities on the east coast...then look at the various pluses and minuses and come up with Brisbane (or other cities) providing the best balance of what they want and can afford.

The other ways it happens I imagine is through visits to family/friends, reccie's, job offers, state visa lists, television shows, backpacking experiences, marriage etc
So they may look at housing cost, compare it with Melb and Syd and choose it on that?

Ok it is the cheapest of east coast cities for housing, but surely salary differences would negate any benefit?
Old May 25th 2014, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So they may look at housing cost, compare it with Melb and Syd and choose it on that?

Ok it is the cheapest of east coast cities for housing, but surely salary differences would negate any benefit?
Would depend. I think for some yes....for many no. In many industries the median salary is not "that" different outside niche specialities, whereas the median house price is around 43% higher in Sydney according to recent reports. And even a median house in Sydney is a lot further away from the city in a city as large as Sydney.

This discussion could ramble on as there are many other things that could swing someones choice one way or the other so I better leave it alone on this thread as not relevant to Molly Coddle who has already decided.
Old May 25th 2014, 4:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

they protect their leisure time, (well they do in my company compared to Sydney office )
Even that's not a given. The people in our Brisbane office seem to work longer hours than all the other offices I know of.

Having lived in Brisbane for 4 years and now Melbourne for 5, I can honestly say that I find Brisbane to be no more relaxed, or laid back, or whatever cliche you want to throw at it.

It's certainly cheaper for housing vs. salaries...you get what you pay for right!?
Old May 25th 2014, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Would depend. I think for some yes....for many no. In many industries the median salary is not "that" different outside niche specialities, whereas the median house price is around 43% higher in Sydney according to recent reports. And even a median house in Sydney is a lot further away from the city in a city as large as Sydney.

This discussion could ramble on as there are many other things that could swing someones choice one way or the other so I better leave it alone on this thread as not relevant to Molly Coddle who has already decided.
Fair enough. If cheap housing rocks peoples boat then go nuts. I'd rather base my living choice on whats outside the house.
Old May 25th 2014, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The melbourne construction industry is very 'closed door' the first thing they want is a mile of recent LOCAL experience, including the Union situation and various regulations within the State. Partner has yet to ever tender for work in Melb without them wanting the said Victorian Experience.

All States have their own thing, laws, regs, licences, insurances and experience, but Melbourne is notorious for it.

Knowing Bris and melb, I think you have to look past assuming bigger = better.

For eg Melb unemployment rate was quoted as higher than Brisbane a month or so ago.

Brisbane is just taking off again just as some sectors of the melb market are slowing.

Either city, the Australian experience is going to be huge, especially when you see the numbers in either city going for work.

If I was arriving now, I would fly into one city, temp accom, then a $150 flight will take you between melb and Bris and check out both, jobs, housing, take into account the year round weather not just the week you are there, etc etc

When we arrived, we started out in Melb, moved to the smaller market in Brisbane/SC and found a niche and it all really took off. Breakng into melbourne again is very HARD. But melb for now is where the kids will be for a few years so Melb it is.

Both cites have big + and - factors. For some reason on forums you cant like both, it must be ones great ones crap. With a foot in both States, I can honestly say its not like that, its just one has had more + factors going for it at different times.

Last edited by jad n rich; May 25th 2014 at 6:04 am.
Old May 25th 2014, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCarpenter
Hello, we are in the early stages of the immigration process and interested in the usual 3 cities, but cannot find much information online about which city has the biggest construction industry, i.e most new builds projects.
I have looked at Brisbane (our preferred destination) but, despite all the the timber houses, there doesn't seem to be many construction/ carpentry jobs, despite it, apparently, having a bit of a population boom?
Does anyone have experience of working in the trades in any of these cities?

Gracias
Carpenters in OZ generally set up a gang of 2, licence, registration, insurance etc then tender for work, so most work wont be advertised as 'jobs' as such.

You tender job to job, then hope to get in with some builder who loves you and 'your price' then more continuity of work appears. Same for a lot of trade work really.
Old May 25th 2014, 6:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't know why it would be on the radar, it is not famous for anything and most wouldn't know a lot about Brisbane. I am not suggesting it as a scientific fact that it would not be on the radar though!
Brisbane is certainly the only Australian city I would live in, my visits to Sydney convinced me that it is just another expensive big city with horrendous traffic. Going back to Melbourne was extremely underwhelming. I quite liked Adelaide but was ridiculously hot when we went. Perth doesnt rate a mention for us.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

LukeOrmz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
My names Luke im 26 from Wales. Carpenter by trade ( 8 years experience)
Basically i want to go to Oz next year, Im going to apply for a working holiday visa. My plan of attack is to travel for 8 weeks on arrival. Im aiming to do the east coast and then im hoping to pick up a carpentry job for 8 months or so.... and travel the rest of my time there.
Few questions i have which i hope someone could be so kind and take the time to answer

How easy will it be to pick up a carpentry job over there?

Should i ship some tools over? (Or if i bought basic handtools over there would that be enough as im only working for 8 months)

What sort of rate should i expect to earn?

I want to get a feel for Oz first before committing the big move which is another reason im debating whether to ship all my tools over.

Any info would be much appreciated guys!!
Kind regards
Luke
Old Jan 12th 2015, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LukeOrmz
Hi guys,
My names Luke im 26 from Wales. Carpenter by trade ( 8 years experience)
Basically i want to go to Oz next year, Im going to apply for a working holiday visa. My plan of attack is to travel for 8 weeks on arrival. Im aiming to do the east coast and then im hoping to pick up a carpentry job for 8 months or so.... and travel the rest of my time there.
Few questions i have which i hope someone could be so kind and take the time to answer

How easy will it be to pick up a carpentry job over there?

Should i ship some tools over? (Or if i bought basic handtools over there would that be enough as im only working for 8 months)

What sort of rate should i expect to earn?

I want to get a feel for Oz first before committing the big move which is another reason im debating whether to ship all my tools over.

Any info would be much appreciated guys!!
Kind regards
Luke
Luke have a read through my posts in this thread, it tells you a lot about carpenters especially whats required to work and how the industry works, work and why you wont see many advertised as carpenters mainly contract.

As for Areas.

Look people on forums have preferences for cities, you will get some good advice but there can be an element of someone will hate brisbane and bash it, someone will love melbourne and push it etc.

We have lived in Brisbane and already living partly in Melbourne with full move next month, and Its been very hard to find work in Melbourne and I know we are not the only family who have found this recently.

But thats just us, Construction Management, Aviation and Science/Health Industries.

You are young, fly into one, backpack it, see what you like, check jobs, cheap flight move on if you dont like it.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

LukeOrmz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a bunch for the info... Appreciate it