Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Considering moving home to Australia

Considering moving home to Australia

Old Mar 11th 2018, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving home to Australia

Some of these country towns around Victoria are doing very well. I wouldn't have considered living in the majority of them 10 years ago. Taralgon seems a great place, it's definitely stuck it's head way above the parapet compared to other towns around it. Great cafe's and pubs and the people seem far more "with it" than residents of the other towns around. Wouldn't bother with the other towns in Gippsland on what I've seen though. Well located for beautiful countryside and beaches as well.

Yehp for the most part Taralgon has gone Bogan free.

Oh and it's 124 minutes from Southern Cross station on the fastest train now. That will become less than 120 minutes in the next couple of years as the level crossings get bypassed.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mel.b
Thanks carcajou. I think the job is different enough and enough of a promotion to warrant the move. I certainly wouldn't be moving home if the job was the same as what I am doing at the moment.

I travel home to Australia every 12months, so I don't think my expectations of what it will be like to return home are that unrealistic. Obviously there's a difference though being there while you are holidays and having to work every day!
You have done the sums right down to the fine detail and even to the point of working off disposable income which is rare on this forum.

You can even figure out how to use a bit of basic HTML to pop multiple quotes in place. Some should learn from that .

Your proposed salary is above the national average even before you pop on the super and the tax breaks.

You have lived there before so you know all about it.

Are the yearly wage rises guaranteed? No great shakes if not. Inflation is very low. I guess the other is interest - will it rise or fall or remain the same? The smart money is on remaining the same or falling. Can't rise without wage growth and inflation and it still is no where near the lowest in the world in Australia.

All seems doable to me.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

The original author is of course from own reckoning from the area mentioned. Hence I'd suggest well aware of physical attributes the area may hold.

They are apparently on a good salary and enjoy a pretty decent life in present locality.
I would have thought the amount on offer not much more than a standard professional salary but could get by in regional Victoria which one may assume is cheaper than Melbourne.
But again I repeat I would take other factors into account other than finance, if considered relevant by OP such as the social aspect. Although being originally from the area, a network may well be in place to soften the landing. Ireland is a rather different experience in that area as well location from personal experience of having lived in that country and country Australia.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The original author is of course from own reckoning from the area mentioned. Hence I'd suggest well aware of physical attributes the area may hold.

They are apparently on a good salary and enjoy a pretty decent life in present locality.
I would have thought the amount on offer not much more than a standard professional salary but could get by in regional Victoria which one may assume is cheaper than Melbourne.
But again I repeat I would take other factors into account other than finance, if considered relevant by OP such as the social aspect. Although being originally from the area, a network may well be in place to soften the landing. Ireland is a rather different experience in that area as well location from personal experience of having lived in that country and country Australia.
You live in a city, the most isolated city in the world for that matter. Very different from where the poster intends to live.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You live in a city, the most isolated city in the world for that matter. Very different from where the poster intends to live.
The poster can decide what to disregard or not. Small town living probably shares some similarities regardless of location within Australia. Unless of course in a very small place that possibly resembles a scene from the film Deliverance. Lived in country Australia have you? Yes I have.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The poster can decide what to disregard or not. Small town living probably shares some similarities regardless of location within Australia. Unless of course in a very small place that possibly resembles a scene from the film Deliverance. Lived in country Australia have you? Yes I have.
Wow. Unreal. For what ever reason it matters, yes lived in country towns in 3 countries including Australia. Not for me but then who cares.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Wow. Unreal. For what ever reason it matters, yes lived in country towns in 3 countries including Australia. Not for me but then who cares.
Nothing unreal. Feel free to write your own take on things though although you are quite correct. Nobody really cares.