Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Considering moving home to Australia

Considering moving home to Australia

Old Mar 9th 2018, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving home to Australia

Originally Posted by Beoz
It makes no sense. As it presently stands many of your opinions about Australia are false and give you grief because you don't have the desire, balls, whatever to change your own situation. Many of us have a great time.

Oh look whose joined the fray. So the point of you sticking your nose into yet another personal affront being? Trying to gang up and win a few brownie points along the way? Sounds remarkably like you are under going an existentential crisis of some shape, quite probably brought on by the deluded nature of your ramblings as above or indeed by your inability to debate a topic which in turn would lead to be among the last person ( though not the only) on this forum to pass judgement on the opinions, but mostly facts as you have an amazing inability to absorb or debate anything outside your ideologically challenged views, which often as not brings home the self centred nature together with the lack of No doubt looking for fans and supporters, no matter how devious. AS it presently stands you would be among the last person (though not the only)on this forum to pass judgement on the opinions, but mostly facts expressed ,as you have an amazing incapacity to absorb or debate anything outside of your narrow minded, ideologically challenged views with no room for anything outside your self centred nature together with the inability to look at a wider picture. This becomes clear to how you constantly find fault with the messenger as having a personal agenda and is somehow suffering duress through some inability due to critiquing the system at hand.

Perhaps you could seek some help. 'Being and Nothingness' could be a read. I've plenty more suggestions just sing out if you require more help.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mel.b
Thanks Beoz, thanks helpful to know.

Re: salary packaging. I used to do it when I worked in a hospital in Australia and the organisation advertise it on their website so it's legit. There are some different rules and amounts for charities and non-profits but I've run the figures through a few different company calculators that offer salary packaging and the results are the same so I'm pretty confident about them.
No problem. I have pinged ponged between Australia and the UK (not Ireland) a few times now and I have no problem doing it again in the future. Its always nice and exciting to do it once you've spent 10 years in one country. Always good to keep a root in either place and keeps all options open.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 11:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well you do have problems making sense of most my posts, so I'll take that with the salt it deserves.

Actually the post makes perfect sense and additional points of consideration can be discarded at will. The post is about returning to Australia. The thing is do you have anything further to offer the OP? Or do you just get your enjoyment climbing on my back? Does get rather tiring. Although I see you get something almost of a perverted sense of pleasure from it.
Er, I think you need to calm down. Your reply about fraught relationships and being single, when the OP was simply seeking views on the suitability of a salary, didn't make any sense. You attempting to make my comment into some sort of weird, personal thing also doesn't make any sense, but no worries.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Er, I think you need to calm down. Your reply about fraught relationships and being single, when the OP was simply seeking views on the suitability of a salary, didn't make any sense. You attempting to make my comment into some sort of weird, personal thing also doesn't make any sense, but no worries.
Going on past experience I certainly take your posts as something of a personal thing. As well you know it is. Nothing weird writing about additional aspects of country living that come to mind. I thought the pointing out of meal entertainment cards a positive reminder as well. Few posts stick purely to only aspects mentioned by OP. Oh and what you may term negative posts are a necessity in any discussion on such life changing events like the process of migration.
Calm down? Don't attempt to patronise me. You could do worse that say as much to your little 'friend' who stuck his oar in, in the post that followed yours. Thought himself smart attempting to pass off yet another personal assault.No word on the matter. How strange.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 11:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Im trying to work out why anyone needed to comment on the OPs personal relationsships anyway!
Surely they are just that, personal. We know nothing about the OPs lifestyle and preferences as far as relationships go, nor do we need to. We don't know whether they even wnt a 'personal relationship'. That side of life is no different in Australia to anywhere else in the world and I have to agree with you SoS, its completely irrelevant to the original question.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Going on past experience I certainly take your posts as something of a personal thing. As well you know it is. Nothing weird writing about additional aspects of country living that come to mind. I thought the pointing out of meal entertainment cards a positive reminder as well. Few posts stick purely to only aspects mentioned by OP. Oh and what you may term negative posts are a necessity in any discussion on such life changing events like the process of migration.
Calm down? Don't attempt to patronise me. You could do worse that say as much to your little 'friend' who stuck his oar in, in the post that followed yours. Thought himself smart attempting to pass off yet another personal assault.No word on the matter. How strange.
Troubadour, I don't know how or why you've constructed this tale of plots and alliances against you, but I have far better and more wholesome things to do with my time than participate in your internet fantasies, so I'll pop you on 'ignore' and that might help you to calm down.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:32 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Im trying to work out why anyone needed to comment on the OPs personal relationsships anyway!
Surely they are just that, personal. We know nothing about the OPs lifestyle and preferences as far as relationships go, nor do we need to. We don't know whether they even wnt a 'personal relationship'. That side of life is no different in Australia to anywhere else in the world and I have to agree with you SoS, its completely irrelevant to the original question.
Cheers Polly
Old Mar 10th 2018, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well no need to tax yourself working out something of no significance now is there. Clearly stated reasoning for adding an additional consideration. OP fully able to discard at will. With such statements the value of such a forum is clearly in doubt, if one is brought to task by those declaring what is and isn't appropriate on an open forum with regards to additional considerations.

Everywhere in the world the same? No I don't agree, so there. You make a big thing from very little. Even in Australia thinking further outside the box while perhaps not encouraged, is hardly illegal not to say neither irrelevant. Few posts that I am aware keep directly to script but certainly remains on subject.

You may of course prefer to add your take on the OP question, rather than 'joining the pack' in order to devour another's. Rather poor show.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers Polly
You possibly should be 'cheering' me for holding fire in regards to the idiotic post of yours last directed at me. But never mind, they'll be feature occasions going on past form. My suggestion to you if my posts don't make sense to you is to, either inquire politely to what is being referred or secondly to refrain from comment as clueless as to content, which begs the question just how do you respond to something you have no idea as to what was the meaning of the post. Truly bizarre.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:26 am
Just Joined

madeupname3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I doubt I would return to Australia as it stands at present. It appears you are single. Even more reason to stay aware IMO. Probably not a great country to be single in especially when a little older. Personal relations are somewhat fraught here IMO. .
Sorry to go a little off topic but what’s the issue with being single in Australia? I’m currently single mid 30s in the UK weighing up whether I should make a move to Australia or Canada and wondered what I might have missed regarding relationships. I’ve always found a foreign accent in both countries makes for easy small talk.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madeupname3
Sorry to go a little off topic but what’s the issue with being single in Australia? I’m currently single mid 30s in the UK weighing up whether I should make a move to Australia or Canada and wondered what I might have missed regarding relationships. I’ve always found a foreign accent in both countries makes for easy small talk.
Absolutely nothing. I have a few single mates, or newly separated/divorced and there's plenty to keep them entertained. Poster has a chip on his shoulder about living in Australia.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Absolutely nothing. I have a few single mates, or newly separated/divorced and there's plenty to keep them entertained. Poster has a chip on his shoulder about living in Australia.
This Poster has to endure flat footed remarks from above poster who sticks head up with amazing regularity considering being shot down in flames with a something akin to a turkey shoot.

But a hand up, from someone whom has actually spent a lot of time living in the 'country side' relationship issues can indeed be regarded as things in need of consideration due to varying circumstances, often gender imbalance,
size and tolerance of community and so on.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

mel.b will become famous soon enoughmel.b will become famous soon enough

A fairly average salary but surely that alone is not the basis on which you formulate your move to return to Australia?
It's not, but I know what I am returning to in terms of family, lifestyle, weather etc. Those things are not unknown to me - the salary and how far it would go is.

You appear happy enough in Ireland, minus present employment. I would caution on making any move without due consideration of all consequences that would entail.

Regarding the employment. I take it is for a non government non profit organisation? If so know the area rather well and quite a revolving door here in Australia with staff turnover and a host of issues to accompany that. Very dependant on government funding and often management is too poor to be believed.
Yes, non government, non profit. That feedback is good to have, thankyou. I understand with NDIS being rolled out that there have been a lot of changes. And the management can't be any worse than here - for almost half the time I have been here, the service I work for has had no manager. I understand that while the grass might look greener that's not always the case.

As you say to have Europe on the doorstep, (are you an Irish citizen?) without the Brexit nonsense engulfing your neighbouring country, is well worth considering.
Yes, I now have my Irish Citizenship. However I think the effect that Brexit will have on Ireland is still unknown.

Quite a number of Irish that lived in my inner city Perth area (4% or just under of our resident population is born in Ireland) have returned home with the improvement of the Irish economy and/or the decline of the West Australian.
Yes and reading about their experiences here in Ireland, some have been happy with the move back home and others have regretted it. There is still a lot of emigration from Ireland, especially among recent graduates of courses such as teaching, nursing, allied health etc due to the state of the Health and Education systems here, lack of opportunity, unequal pay and the high cost of living (especially in Dublin)

You've certainly quite a decision to come to. Good luck.
Thanks. Leaning towards taking a career break at the moment if it will be granted, although that has its own logistical headaches to deal with, I think it's the safest option.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best anecdotes I've read on BE came in the New Zealand forum, some years ago, when I was just a lurker and not yet an active poster.

Anyways someone worked at an office that had a grumpy Brit expat in it - can't remember the profession, let's just go with IT - well anyways he worked in IT in the middle of London, hated his job and his "lifestyle," so went through the visa process and got residency in New Zealand.

So, once he got to New Zealand, what did he do? Took a similar job in IT, in the middle of Auckland, and was just as unhappy as he was in London and let everyone around him know it. Until one day someone in the office finally snapped and asked him why he decided to move halfway around the world just to take the same job in the same environment.

So, if you are unhappy in your job in Ireland, I am unsure why you would expect a different result from the same or similar job in Australia. You will also find that regional Victoria is a different place than you left it and that your "familiarity" only goes so far.

So, as Troubadour says you've certainly got quite a decision to come to - just make sure you aren't making a lateral move to a position you'll be just as unhappy in, in a place that may be less familiar than you remember, for a lot less money.

Good luck.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

mel.b will become famous soon enoughmel.b will become famous soon enough

Thanks carcajou. I think the job is different enough and enough of a promotion to warrant the move. I certainly wouldn't be moving home if the job was the same as what I am doing at the moment.

I travel home to Australia every 12months, so I don't think my expectations of what it will be like to return home are that unrealistic. Obviously there's a difference though being there while you are holidays and having to work every day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.