Reload this Page >

Commuting & houses

Commuting & houses

Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:57 am
Just Joined

ultra runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commuting & houses

Hi all,

Our plan is to apply in July on new points system. Meanwhile I don't believe you can do too much research! But getting quite frustrated with not being able to determine suburb areas etc (Perth) there are just so many names and i'm not finding a good resource for details. We are looking for something towards the hills within a do-able commute to the CBD. If we do get our visa we will be renting for the first year or so. More research!

Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting & houses

A few alternative websites to try:

http://www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-i...h-suburbs.html
http://www.viacorp.com/perth-suburbs-compared.html
http://www.perthhillsrealestate.com....rbprofiles.asp
http://www.perthsuburbs.com.au/

Possible negative issues to consider:
  • local schools
  • bushfires
  • heat (no cooling sea breeze in hot weather)
  • transport links
  • facilities (leisure, medical, shops, etc)

Possible positive issues to consider:
  • living in bush, with lots of trees, granite outcrops in some areas, views
  • away from the suburban rat race
  • cheaper housing
  • larger blocks, more space to keep chickens, animals, grow fruit & veg
  • smaller, village-like communities

I had to drive up to Mundaring the other day. It took about 45 minutes from West Perth (just west of the CBD), at about 7.30 am, against the traffic flow, during school holidays (when the traffic is much lighter). Not a relaxed drive, as you have to go along Great Eastern Highway and a short time on Tonkin Highway (lots of trucks).
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultra runner
Hi all,

Our plan is to apply in July on new points system. Meanwhile I don't believe you can do too much research! But getting quite frustrated with not being able to determine suburb areas etc (Perth) there are just so many names and i'm not finding a good resource for details. We are looking for something towards the hills within a do-able commute to the CBD. If we do get our visa we will be renting for the first year or so. More research!

Thanks
You've got a good couple of years before your visa will be decided, so plenty of time to worry about suburbs. Have you been to Perth before? How much money will you have to spend? Where will you be working? All things to consider when thinking of where to live.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that transport links from the hills to the cbd can be frustrating at "rushhour"
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Be aware that transport links from the hills to the cbd can be frustrating at "rushhour"
You're not kidding. When I stayed at a friend's in Lesmurdie recently the bus trip (27 km) to work took longer than my usual morning commute (45 km) by train. Also be aware that there are no Sunday or evening public transit services to a lot of the hills suburbs.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

ultra runner is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

I'm really researching for house prices / cost of living etc. No point making plans, spending on visa's etc to find at the last minute we can't afford to live.

We have no school age kids so that is not a problem. We are older

Partner is the one who'll be looking for work. Electronics engineer, that may see us having to head to Melbourne or Sydney, but at present he is a NHS manager so maybe he'll stay in the health sector. So many huge decisions and you can only act on what is available at the time. I'm more than happy out in the wilds (fires apart) but his commute will be the main factor.

PS. Have never been to Austrailia, I hate flying and there is not a chance of me doing the flight more than once every 10 or 15 years

Thanks for the links... off to surf