Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commute Sunshine Coast to Brisbane ??!!??

Commute Sunshine Coast to Brisbane ??!!??

Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Tinpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Commute Sunshine Coast to Brisbane ??!!??

My OH has just been offered a job in Brissy and we want to live on the Sunshine Coast, preferably in on the range, Flaxton & Mapleton area. Any advice on the commute from Landsborough/Nambour? Having commuted to London for years, my husband is prepared to continue if we live somewhere really nice. We don't want to do the burbs and have three kids who love Maroochy and the hills and we have friends there so would have some fab support. Does anyone do this commute? What are the trains like? unsure: Can you work on them? We've checked times and know it's 1 hour 40 plus driving to the station. It's a huge decision for us, so any advice would be appreciated.

We are awaiting the final offer and relocation package and hopefully if we can cope with commuting (him the hours and me & the kids not seeing him) we might be having an Aussie Christmas!!

Ali & family

Last edited by Tinpan; Sep 8th 2008 at 12:05 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Commute Sunshine Coast to Brisbane ??!!??

Rush hour starts at 5am, the road isn't that great, and the driving is pretty bad

We live in Caloundra and OH commuted for 2 weeks. That was enough. There are people that commute but I wouldn't reccomend it.

You could always rent up here and see how your OH gets on.. Give it a trial run and if it dosen't work out move closer to Bribane.

Best of luck with your move.

Kate
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Commute Sunshine Coast to Brisbane ??!!??

Thanks Kate. I see you are from Essex too! I take it your OH drove, mine would catch the train as it ends right at his work. After years of problems at Liverpool Street and regular delays sitting outside Stratford, we can't imagine it being as bad. Even if it is long as long as it is bearable we will be rewarded with beautiful beaches and wonderful scenery which beats Clacton and round here hands down!!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katehn
Rush hour starts at 5am, the road isn't that great, and the driving is pretty bad

We live in Caloundra and OH commuted for 2 weeks.

Kate
Fook me, that's a long way to drive!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tinpan
Thanks Kate. I see you are from Essex too! I take it your OH drove, mine would catch the train as it ends right at his work. After years of problems at Liverpool Street and regular delays sitting outside Stratford, we can't imagine it being as bad. Even if it is long as long as it is bearable we will be rewarded with beautiful beaches and wonderful scenery which beats Clacton and round here hands down!!
I don't really know what the train is like, It's not that near to us. As you like the area and have friends nearby I would just go for it. If you are only renting to start you won't be tied to the area.

It really is a lovely area to live. Not at all like clacton / Southend.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
Fook me, that's a long way to drive!
Yes It was enough to convince him that commuting was not for him !

Thats before you start talking about other drivers
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Yes It was enough to convince him that commuting was not for him !

Thats before you start talking about other drivers
Is he on a 'one day on four weeks off' rota? If so, where do I sign?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
Is he on a 'one day on four weeks off' rota? If so, where do I sign?
That would be his ideal job.... but no, sadly he found fulltime work locally.. no semi retirement.

On a serious note before we moved here he thought he would have the option of working in Brissy, but after doing the commute by car realised it wasn't a great idea not so much the distance but the road.

He had agency work until he found full time work here.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That would be his ideal job.... but no, sadly he found fulltime work locally.. no semi retirement.

On a serious note before we moved here he thought he would have the option of working in Brissy, but after doing the commute by car realised it wasn't a great idea not so much the distance but the road.

He had agency work until he found full time work here.
If you do a search for posts by Carrianne, she certainly used to commute from the Sunshine Coast daily to Brisbane. As far as I know she still works in the city, and she still posts so if you pm her she'll probably have more up to date stuff for you
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you do a search for posts by Carrianne, she certainly used to commute from the Sunshine Coast daily to Brisbane. As far as I know she still works in the city, and she still posts so if you pm her she'll probably have more up to date stuff for you
Thanks. I have emailed her so it will be interesting to see what length of commute she has/had as she talks about having had a baby, so perhaps she doesn't still do it. Our friends in Flaxton know people who commute from near them and Maleny so I know there are some people out there who do it. We just want to have all the info to hand so we can make that all important decision!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

I don't really know what the train is like, It's not that near to us. As you like the area and have friends nearby I would just go for it. If you are only renting to start you won't be tied to the area.

It really is a lovely area to live. Not at all like clacton / Southend.
Thanks for the reply. Yes we have friends and we know exactly where we want to live, but it comes at a price! If commuting is that price, then as long as it is bearable (ie. he can work, read or sleep zzzzzz) then it is manageable. If we think finances will be tough and the trains are slow, infrequent, stuffed full and too hot, if we then find we can't get the kids into the local schools, then he won't accept the job and we will have to look at work closer to where we want to live.

Christmas in Aus sounds so attractive (especially as I grew up there) but if it's not meant to be this time, then we will just have to wait.

Fingers crossed for a good train service!!

Ali

Last edited by Tinpan; Sep 8th 2008 at 8:05 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpan
My OH has just been offered a job in Brissy and we want to live on the Sunshine Coast, preferably in on the range, Flaxton & Mapleton area. Any advice on the commute from Landsborough/Nambour? Having commuted to London for years, my husband is prepared to continue if we live somewhere really nice. We don't want to do the burbs and have three kids who love Maroochy and the hills and we have friends there so would have some fab support. Does anyone do this commute? What are the trains like? unsure: Can you work on them? We've checked times and know it's 1 hour 40 plus driving to the station. It's a huge decision for us, so any advice would be appreciated.

We are awaiting the final offer and relocation package and hopefully if we can cope with commuting (him the hours and me & the kids not seeing him) we might be having an Aussie Christmas!!

Ali & family

From Landsbrorough it wouldnt be that bad. Drive to caboolture then the express train to the city. Acerage around landsborough is still very cheap, l under the 500,000 for house and land. In the snobbier/beachier areas you could add a million to the landsborough prices.