Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commutable distance to Sydney

Commutable distance to Sydney

Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default Commutable distance to Sydney

How far out one could go but yet commute to CBD everyday? Could you actually reduce your living costs significantly by going that far? Are people commuting from places like Gosford, Newcastle, Wollongong, Nowra, Kiama etc? Is it a worthwhile proposition at all?

Stunned (and disgusted) by Sydney rental prices, I am really looking at all possible alternatives, but can't get out of NSW being state sponsored.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Commutable distance to Sydney

I get the train to work from Epping every day to the city and that is far enough for me.

The express trains from Newcastle / Gosford stop at Epping and you get to see all those commuters under blankets with neck pillows who started out at god knows o'clock, they look half dead. When the train pulls in to Sydney Terminal these life forms slowly evolve back in to something half way towards human, although you still shouldn't approach one, if you have to use caution. They then stagger down the platform and in to the station cafe for a caffeine injection. Then they get to do it all over again the next day, you see the same people every work day

I wouldn't want to do it, but many do.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

People do, a number of the guys where I work commute from the central coast and are fine with 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way each day. I wouldn't do it myself but different people have different views
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We looked into it from Central Coast at one point but it was just too far for us. It might be ok for somebody working regular 9 to 5 hours, but if you anticipate having to do a bit more than that then it would be a real drag to have such a slog home at the end of a long day. I wouldn't do it.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
How far out one could go but yet commute to CBD everyday? Could you actually reduce your living costs significantly by going that far? Are people commuting from places like Gosford, Newcastle, Wollongong, Nowra, Kiama etc? Is it a worthwhile proposition at all?

Stunned (and disgusted) by Sydney rental prices, I am really looking at all possible alternatives, but can't get out of NSW being state sponsored.
Well to travel from the central coast you have to think why you moved half way around the world ,i
on the other hand would not live in a box in the CBD , pay the Northern
beaches Rip off prices or be in the Hills estates, all depends on your travel needs and lifestyle i guess ,good luck
Attached Thumbnails Commutable distance to Sydney-imagescabd7e20.jpg   Commutable distance to Sydney-616764760_uz2tw-l-1.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oakwood 2
Well to travel from the central coast you have to think why you moved half way around the world ,i
on the other hand would not live in a box in the CBD , pay the Northern
beaches Rip off prices or be in the Hills estates, all depends on your travel needs and lifestyle i guess ,good luck
Beautiful pictures, mate!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:50 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Himself works in Sydney CBD - we live a 90 minutes train commute away in the Blue Mountains. We think its worth it. Quite a few of his colleagues live about the same commute time away up and down the coast, so its certainly do-able. It really depends on what is important to you.

For us, we couldn't do it if the trains didn't run reliably and regularly. On a morning there are about 3-4 trains an hour and the same between 4-6.30pm to come home. During the day though, there's one an hour, which is a bit more of a pain for my two eldest who are in Uni down the mountain.. but the lazy gits should have learned to drive by now and their problems would be sorted

If you're going to look at living well away from the CBD, you really, really need to do lots of research into how you're going to travel in, and how it'll work on a practical, day by day basis. Train tickets are ridiculously cheap - Himself gets a zone 3 MyMulti ticket (the same one covers all this area) which covers you for trains, buses, ferries and the light railway thing - for a month it costs $219 - but you can also buy it quarterly or yearly and it works out even cheaper.

I can't emphasise enough that you have to do your research. Himself moved to NSW a few months before we did (we lived in Qld before) so he got a rental near our chosen area to make sure that the commute wasn't going to be too much of a pain.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:44 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

I know that plenty of people commute long distances, but I would think that it depends hugely on your circumstances.

For us, we decided against a long commute, even though really we would have preferred to live somewhere slightly further out. When we moved here our children were still very small (1 and 3), I was a stay at home mum, and hubby was working very long hours, seven days a week etc, and we felt that a long commute on top of that would be too much. I think had the children been older we would have considered it more, but we felt that he and they would be missing out too much on seeing each other.

You just have to weigh up the pros and cons.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Life is too short to spend time on a train. Spend up and have a good life
Old Jul 31st 2011, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I work with one guy who commutes from Wollongong and another who commuts from penrith.

I wouldn't do either.

I live in the inner west just 8 kms from the CBD and it takes me 40 mins to get to work on the bus!!!

The guy who commutes from wollongong, I am sure he told me he leaves the house at 6am or 6.30am the other day and he doesnt even get to work until 9 or 9.15am!!! Stuff that for a joke. (I will check that though as I may be confused)

I find though that it takes long enough to drive to these places when there is no traffic...though I guess the train is probably faster.

OH often works in the Northern Beaches and he can be in traffic aywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours to get back to the inner west.

Traffic in Sydney is ridiculous in my opinion but I guess cummuting really depends on how you plan to do it, I reckon public transport is the best way
Old Jul 31st 2011, 7:49 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
I work with one guy who commutes from Wollongong and another who commuts from penrith.

I wouldn't do either.

I live in the inner west just 8 kms from the CBD and it takes me 40 mins to get to work on the bus!!!
50 minutes on the train from Penrith to the CBD.

Just saying, like.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dreamy
50 minutes on the train from Penrith to the CBD.

Just saying, like.
Yea thats actually really good...especially considering my commute from right in the city LOL.

The drive takes much longer I am sure LOL
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:53 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do either.

The guy who commutes from wollongong, I am sure he told me he leaves the house at 6am or 6.30am the other day and he doesnt even get to work until 9 or 9.15am!!! Stuff that for a joke. (I will check that though as I may be confused)

I find though that it takes long enough to drive to these places when there is no traffic...though I guess the train is probably faster.

OH often works in the Northern Beaches and he can be in traffic aywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours to get back to the inner west.

Traffic in Sydney is ridiculous in my opinion but I guess cummuting really depends on how you plan to do it, I reckon public transport is the best way
I think that Wollongong times are incorrect. I live in Bulli, 10 mins away by train and for me door to door its a 2 hour journey, walking to and from the station. The train journey itself is 1.30 to Kings Cross so is a decent time, I often work from home so its not an issue for me, but when we decided to move here we did so on the worst case basis, i.e. me having to commute every day and its perfectly doable. I then get the 5.20 train from Martin Place back to Bullia and wifey and son picks me up at 6.53.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:55 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Life is too short to spend time on a train. Spend up and have a good life
That's "Train Driver" off my list of potential occupations then.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Commuted from Wollongong to Martin Place for a good 8 months. Caught the 7:30 express from Wollongong. Central Station at just before 9, Martin Place at 9:15.

17:42 train on the way back got me home by half past seven in the evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.