Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth bank usage whilst backpacking

Commonwealth bank usage whilst backpacking

Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Commonwealth bank usage whilst backpacking

Hi guys, question for ya all...

Me and the OH are applying for a 457 visa.

I went backpacking back in 04-05 and had a aussie bank account (just a general one to put cash in when i was working or want to transfer over from the UK) Now i know it costs money to keep these things open (hmm i'll miss that when im in oz- free banking!) i left australia in August 2005 with a couple of dollars in it and didn't get time to officially close it.

My question is this, once the funds run out to keep the maintenance up for this will they just close it and leave it at that? Or more worryingly will they say i owe them money? Note, that i never used it for anything more than putting money in. I had only an ATM card. I'm worrying about the possible debts i'll come into which also brings me onto my next question.

I had an ABN number whilst in Oz for which i did one days work (outbound call centre work), being such a ignoranous i didn't pay the tax on that one day of work and as trivial as it sounds i dont think that the aussie government will see it that way? im gonna call the aussie tax office and pay this debt off...am i doing the right thing? more importantly will they let me pay this off or tell me i can forget about emigrating!!

I've been watching to many aussie reality programs like border patrol...i know how strict the aussie government can be!

Advise?

cheers for ya help
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:31 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Commonwealth bank usage whilst backpacking

Originally Posted by jam76
Hi guys, question for ya all...

Me and the OH are applying for a 457 visa.

I went backpacking back in 04-05 and had a aussie bank account (just a general one to put cash in when i was working or want to transfer over from the UK) Now i know it costs money to keep these things open (hmm i'll miss that when im in oz- free banking!) i left australia in August 2005 with a couple of dollars in it and didn't get time to officially close it.

My question is this, once the funds run out to keep the maintenance up for this will they just close it and leave it at that? Or more worryingly will they say i owe them money? Note, that i never used it for anything more than putting money in. I had only an ATM card. I'm worrying about the possible debts i'll come into which also brings me onto my next question.

I had an ABN number whilst in Oz for which i did one days work (outbound call centre work), being such a ignoranous i didn't pay the tax on that one day of work and as trivial as it sounds i dont think that the aussie government will see it that way? im gonna call the aussie tax office and pay this debt off...am i doing the right thing? more importantly will they let me pay this off or tell me i can forget about emigrating!!

I've been watching to many aussie reality programs like border patrol...i know how strict the aussie government can be!

Advise?

cheers for ya help
Hi Jam,
Not sure about the tax thing, But for the Commonwealth bank they would of carried on charging you for a bit then when no activity was on the account and it would of been in debit they would close it. Your best bet if you know your address or account number you had down with the Commonwealth account is to call them on 0061132221 from the UK and check, And when you get over if you want to bank with Commonwealth just pay the amount back, Probably only around $30 and saves having it on your record.
Regards
Gary
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Re: Commonwealth bank usage whilst backpacking

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hi Jam,
Not sure about the tax thing, But for the Commonwealth bank they would of carried on charging you for a bit then when no activity was on the account and it would of been in debit they would close it. Your best bet if you know your address or account number you had down with the Commonwealth account is to call them on 0061132221 from the UK and check, And when you get over if you want to bank with Commonwealth just pay the amount back, Probably only around $30 and saves having it on your record.
Regards
Gary
Thanks Gary, thats good to know mate.