Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

come on lets have a debate.

come on lets have a debate.

Old Sep 10th 2005, 4:23 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: come on lets have a debate.

Originally Posted by banjo
we're in Victoria and flies are a HUGE problem for me.....cook the 'snags' on the bbq and then rush inside before any have a chance to land on the food. Screens on all windows and doors to stop the critters coming in but they still find a way.
So whats the point of having a great outdoors if you can't stay out to enjoy it? And you never get used to the flies regardless of what people tell you. I've just been out on the tractor and its currently 27 with no breeze. Many years ago I used to work outdoors in the UK and give me cold and wet anyday. I now seem to have to have large rest periods punctuated with small dosses of work. We don't have many bbq's unless its in the middle of the day which seems to be a sweet spot where the insects are concerned, My usable insect free day is from about 10.30 am to no later than 4pm. Problem is its then baking hot!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Even though I love many parts of the UK and love my family that live there - I wouldn't go back and live there unless I was forced to. I'd rather have a holiday house up the coast past Port Stephens....is that selfish....probably.

It's glorious weather today and we've just been for a walk along the surf beach at Manly, had lunch at the Bavarian beer place and than wandered back to the car. It's not bad at all.

Haven't noticed any flies either....just the odd red back in the garden. Maybe there isn't a problem with flies because we're not far from the beach...I have no idea.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
When I first found this site although good and bad points were made about the whole emigration concept, the comments were constructive and my buzz for Oz heightened each time I logged on. Recently though upon reading some of the posts the 'am I doing the right thing' is at the forefront and somedays I feel downright depressed when I log off. Yes I am grateful for all those who can enlighten me with good and bad points of Oz - but lets face it England isn't perfect and we all moan about our lives here from time to time.

So a great big thanks to those of you who do reply without the slagging and the baglash. I look forward again to the day where I can post 'stupid' questions without the threat of vicious replys

Lindsey
Well i wont depress you. I hate shopping, so its great here, you never get the traffic jams down here, thank god. easy roads to follow, shops never too busy, i dont like crowds, lots of beautiful open space, great family life , loads of activities for the kids. clean sparkling beaches, clean parks, i could go on forever, just go for it. We are risk takers on here, we live life to the full, go back if you dont like it, you will never know if you dont try, dont grow old with regrets. Denise
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:50 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
So whats the point of having a great outdoors if you can't stay out to enjoy it? And you never get used to the flies regardless of what people tell you. I've just been out on the tractor and its currently 27 with no breeze. Many years ago I used to work outdoors in the UK and give me cold and wet anyday. I now seem to have to have large rest periods punctuated with small dosses of work. We don't have many bbq's unless its in the middle of the day which seems to be a sweet spot where the insects are concerned, My usable insect free day is from about 10.30 am to no later than 4pm. Problem is its then baking hot!!
Whereabouts are you then, Arkon? That sounds pretty miserable - I can understand why it would get you down. We lived in rural Somerset, and the flies each summer got me down. They definitely *did* come from the local farms, and from the local racing stables. They weren't especially vicious, but just their presence used to irritate me. I feel for you...

Sue
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheCrone
On the other hand, people who prefer an urban lifestle can find it threatening. I know my mother did! I took her to Lancelin for lunch one day during her visit and she was horrified!
"Where are all the people? Where are all the shops? Aren't you scared, driving out here without garages and mechanics in case you break down?"
Poor mother! She never did see that it was precisely those things which make me love Australia.
That sums it up. Driving down a suburban street and having to dart several times into a vacant parking spot before its end because there is something coming the other way and there is effectively no off street parking, gets to me. Going to the top of a small hill and seeing no habitation between there and the horizon is what I prefer. And this can happen on the "crowded" east coast.

One can hardly move to the most isolated small city ON THE PLANET and then complain that it costs a lost to leave.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:05 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

We haven't been here long enough to form a negative opinion of Oz. For starters, we are in Sydney right now, and are settling in WA, so experience is very limited. Additionally, we had very little time to think about the move - it was only back in March that it became an issue for us. Because we are here on a 457, my dh's company paid to get us here so we have no financial axe to grind one way or the other. If we go back to England before we have spent two years here, then we have to repay them every penny they have spent getting us here, but otherwise we are free to go back if we wish.

To me, this emigration lark can be analogised to marriage. You go into it not really knowing what to expect, not knowing what it's going to be like. The first few months here are very much a *honeymoon* - everything is new and fun and exciting. Then you take off the rose-tinted glasses and things look a little different but you carry on and after a couple of years, you're comfortable with it and you know whether you're happy or not. Like marriage, it isn't going to work for everyone - some just aren't going to take to it at all and will want out. Some are going to think it is fantastic and will always be enthusiastic about it. I suspect most will just be content to work at it from day to day, and to take the best that it has to offer and tolerate what isn't as good as they'd like. It's never going to be perfect, just as marriage is never perfect. There's always something you'd like to change. And you can work at it, and enjoy the best it has to offer, or you can get *divorced*, call it quits and go back to England - or wherever - and be happy there instead, just like many folk find second marriage happy when the first wasn't.

There isn't any *right* or *wrong* outcome - just what works for you. I reckon the most important thing is to be honest about it, because there's no shame in saying it isn't for you if that's the case.

Enough waffle - I've been studying too long today I think....
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid_s
I agree entirely. I sometimes think twice about logging on because it can just make me depressed.

You have to keep it in perspective though. You could make a long list of complaints about any country in the world. I know that when people post things along the lines "here's what I hate about Australia and why you shouldn't bother going" they will have had an equally long list of complaints about the UK before they left there. And they will no doubt build another list when they return.

You have to be sensible and realise that there will be compromises and settling in is tough - but I think it's vital not to lose your enthusiasm before you even get there!
this is so true, i dont hate anything about australia came here with my eyes wide open , researched the place we live on the internet. I dont hate my beloved country England, just think the government is letting it go to the dogs. If i had to go back i would, but we prefer the ozzy lifestyle, its a matter of choice. there is good bad in both country,s , this is the life for us.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have to thank everyone so far who has posted on this thread. It had real potential to go down hill fast. But everyone has managed to post very clear and concise opinions on their time and experience or expectations on living in Australia.

A great thread worth reading from start to finish (assuming it stays on course)
Old Sep 11th 2005, 1:19 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I can honestly say that if returning to the UK was an easy issue....I would go in a heartbeat. I know a hell of a lot of people (women especially) who would say exactly the same thing. Men seem to fair an awful lot better than us girls.

We have been in Perth for just over a year. We came for the better quality of life, the more leisure time, more family time etc, etc...blah, blah blah. The usual reasons. We weren't running from anything, we had a lovely home in the UK, hubby had a well paid job, we had family close by, we just wanted to see if this was better for us as a family.

My hubby works just as hard here as he did in the UK, for a third less pay. He has to do the great big chunks of overtime to enable us to make ends meet. Therefore...no more leisure time than we had in the UK. Things are pretty much on a par with the UK living expense wise, especially food shopping. Therefore, we are just as skint as we were in the UK.

Our social life is much better here, that's fantastic. We've made some lovely friends and we do have some fun. These people I will miss when we return, I wish I could take them with us.

Climate; it's wonderful to be able to wake up to blue skies everyday in the summer, throw on shorts and a vest and that's it. Oh, that's after you've covered yourself up with factor 30+ everyday! But along with that glorious weather comes the plague of flies that are the rudest flies in the world! They are in your eyes, ears, nose...everywhere. So eating a peaceful meal outside can be rather a challenge...hold only a fork, you'll need the other hand to swat! Thank God for the Freo Doctor, at least that keeps them at bay a bit. We went down to the beach once on a very still day, no wind at all....we lasted 10 minutes, the flies were unbelievably bad. So, bring a swatter with you when you come.

Quality of life for our kids? Mmm...I can't say it's better, it's completely different. They do get to play outside more, trouble is when the weather is too hot they have to stay indoors, just the same as in the UK when it was too cold/wet. When they do play out they are slopped up to the eyeballs with suncream and God only knows what chemicals are getting absorbed into their skin. Education wise: well, if you want a good school for your child (especially high school) you will probably have to pay for it. There are the exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between. So weighing up this difference in life for our kids, does it compensate for the lack of Grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins? No way, not in a million years.

As for the safety thing, yes I will admit to feeling safer out here...at the moment. With the influx of people moving over here the crime statistics will change eventually. The only reason they are so low is the fact that so few people live here. You say that the UK is going to the dogs, didn't Enoch Powell say that back in the 60's too? It's still one of the strongest, wealthiest nations in the world. I agree that the immigration policy is barking mad and the law's dealing with the chavs on the streets should be toughened up, but England will still be an important nation 100 years down the line no matter what.

You will probably find that your house will end up a heck of a lot bigger than the one you're in at the moment in the UK. You may well end up with a pool too. If that's what floats your boat, then that's great....you'll love it here. Houses are spacious and still that bit cheaper than you'd pay at home. That's all changing though. You won't get anything decent in these northern suburbs for less than $350k, and that's if you're lucky.

This all sounds incredibly negative doesn't it? But it's the way I feel and I apologise if I have upset anyone. There are people who love this place and that's bloody fantastic for them. But there are way too many things lacking here for me to make it my home forever. And no, it's not the shops, the Sunday trading, more choice at the supermarket, the decent T.V or anything else so fickle that I miss about the UK (although a Tesco's would be lovely!) it's my family, my oldest friends, the history and heritage, the wonderful countryside. The opportunity to travel and see other cultures cheaply in Europe: getting out of Perth costs a fortune! All of those things that I took for granted when I lived in the UK before, when I go back I will look at them all with new eyes and appreciate what I have around me.

You have to do what you feel is right for you and your family. People are all individuals and have different perspectives on things. Just because this place hasn't worked for me, doesn't mean that it won't work for you. At least we've got rid of the "what if" question. Just give yourself a "Plan B,Opt Out Clause" leave yourselves a way to get back home. I wish we had.

Good luck to you.
.....you took the words right out of my mouth!!!
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future
Default Re: come on lets have a debate. Thankyou

Id like to say thankyou to everyone i really did not expect such response especially as I'm a newbie to this forum. Obviously a subject that everyone has in common at one stage or another the "what ifs" I mean. I would also like to thank, (sounds like I'm accepting a bafta), everyone for there honesty and there experience on this subject it has been most enlightening.
You all have made such good and bad :scared: points. but all of you have said more or less the same thing in your threads and that is "give it a go", and i admire each one of you for that, to sound cheezy you inspire me because you are right life is about living and making choices and we have such little time to do it as someone said " life is like ballroom and i hate balls but while i'm here i might aswell dance" so thankyou and i look forward to reading more hopefully on the subject.