Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cockroach Central

Cockroach Central

Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Did Chris tell you that he is a deep shade of pink? Is it all men that don't listen to their wives giving them good advice
he was in the pool yesterday morning and stayed there into the afternoon through the rise to 40c. Ignoring my warnings and advice to apply suncream.
Its called nagging

I would rather live with a couple of cute little cockroaches than a demented women and a tin of mortene.

If you are looking for rental property you need to be looking for safe areas, nice street, clean house and carpets and above all a nice landlord / lady. Dawn is one of the best and we can highly reccomend this house in East Perth. Its been painted and new carpets throughout. You will need to contact Dawn for availability.

Right must head for the pool before I melt. Its a tough life.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jopaulss
Can anyone help me with the moths !!! they keep heading for the food cupboard , everything is in a container , unless its in a tin . They are having a way day in there , we had chrysalises in the foil , ohhhh yuk . So i have moth balls in there , but that is stinking the cupboard out and its not stopping them . We keep all the flydoors shut so where do the litle buggers come from. Anyone any tips much appreciated .
Joanne
They're called pantry moths and they're not coming in from outside. They've hatched from eggs that were already in some packet or package - possibly before you even bought it! Once they've hatched, it's really easy for the moths to get into foil and cellophane packets and cardboard boxes for them to start laying eggs all over again.

You should go through all packets and boxes that you have in your cupboards (even sealed containers) and check that there are no eggs or weevils. Obviously chuck out anything that looks a bit suss. They like floury things - like flour/sauce mixes/biscuits/cereal etc, so they should always be stored somewhere air-tight.

Apparantly freezing stuff will kill any eggs, but I wouldn't want to eat anything that had dead eggs in it. I had moths in my cupboard and they were happily breeding in an old packet of (unopened) sauce mix - they'd burrowed in through the side of the foil packet. I also found something gruesome in a packet of unopened water biscuits once.

Lavender in a plastic bag (with holes in) is the green way to keep them away but that will only work once you've got rid of the original infestation.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
Its called nagging

I would rather live with a couple of cute little cockroaches than a demented women and a tin of mortene.

If you are looking for rental property you need to be looking for safe areas, nice street, clean house and carpets and above all a nice landlord / lady. Dawn is one of the best and we can highly reccomend this house in East Perth. Its been painted and new carpets throughout. You will need to contact Dawn for availability.

Right must head for the pool before I melt. Its a tough life.
I know its definately not available from 20th March for at least a year because I am renting it

I have made just about everyone I know (and plenty of those I do not) gaze admiringly at the photos. I am really looking forward to it. Dawn has been such a great help with advice & support - she has been a Godsend. So folks I am sorry to disappoint but Hands off this one is mine!!!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:00 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Cockroach Central

Originally posted by Jirrupin
It has been the hottest january day for six years in Perth temps toppin 40c. It is 1am and too hot to even contemplate trying to get any sleep.

So far we have been lucky with the cockroaches only spotting the odd one but I have just killed three in the bedroom:scared:

Chris has now built the east Perth equivalent of the berlin Wall at the bottom of the front door to prevent further entries and there has been enough surface spray sprayed to make a small army keel over.

If we were able to sleep we would have to take turns on watch, I know its all part of an Australian summer and although I have accepted cockroaches will make more appearances in hot weather, I still don't like them.
Did you know that insects are a very high source of protein? Just thought I'd mention it.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
Did you know that insects are a very high source of protein? Just thought I'd mention it.
Must be great for those on the Atkins.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:03 pm
WBB

talking of the atkins fad, they are selling burger's near me which is a chicken breast between two beef burgers!

crazy.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:07 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom

Roach tikka madras & special fried lice....can't beat it.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:08 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom

Eeeeeewwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:47 am
Just Joined

trevd72 is an unknown quantity at this point

this thread is kinda putting me off the move to australia. are the bugs and the heat really that bad. you see i am jumping in at the deep end and going to australia after only ever been to France and Germany.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:56 am
WBB

Originally posted by trevd72
this thread is kinda putting me off the move to australia. are the bugs and the heat really that bad. you see i am jumping in at the deep end and going to australia after only ever been to France and Germany.

you should be used to creepy bugs if you have been to france.

Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

nickyc thanks for that advice , have now emptied the whole pantry , a tin of ovaltein was just slightly open and one had buried itself in the rim of the lid . A cake mix not open , well i ripped open the box and yep there was one in the box:scared: so we have thrown it all out !!!! Have been and bought some pantry moth baits and hopefully we can get it under control , especially as we only have food left in cans and glass jars to !!! Be warned about these little blighters they can get into almost anything . I now have a mass thing about moths , nothing is crawling in my house i can tell you !!!!
Joanne
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:49 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

nickyc thanks for that advice , have now emptied the whole pantry , a tin of ovaltein was just slightly open and one had buried itself in the rim of the lid . A cake mix not open , well i ripped open the box and yep there was one in the box:scared: so we have thrown it all out !!!! Have been and bought some pantry moth baits and hopefully we can get it under control , especially as we only have food left in cans and glass jars to !!! Be warned about these little blighters they can get into almost anything . I now have a mass thing about moths , nothing is crawling in my house i can tell you !!!!
Joanne
Joanne after I read your thread and Nicky's reply I have moved everything into plastic and glass containers. Yuk Yuk Yuk, give me a cockroach in the bedroom anyday over and infestation of moths in your pantry.

I had intended to have everything in container's when we are living inthevan but your thread spurred me on sooner. Thankfully no bugs in sight.

I hope you get yours under control soon.

Donna
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Joanne
Hi Joanne - glad it helped. They are horrible little things that gave me the creeps. Luckily I haven't had them back since my cupboards were purged.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

piglit is an unknown quantity at this point

We have something simular to the moths in England aswell they are called weevels. they usually hatch out from flour based products and are like little beetles they are really hard to get rid of and they infest packets and get behind the labels on tins.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by trevd72
Trev,

I am in France and last winter temps were -13C for a couple of weeks. No central heating, but an electric heater in each room and a portable gas bottle job.

Last summer temps were +43C for a couple of weeks, and needless to say there was no airconditioning, either. Rainfall was low so all the swimming holes began to dry up or were closed by the authorities for safety reasons.

Finally, you have my assurance the bloody flies are worse here than I've ever had to put up with in Australia, including those sticky little bush flies that try to climb into every crevice.

Now, what were you confused about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.