Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cockroach Central

Cockroach Central

Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:00 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cockroach Central

It has been the hottest january day for six years in Perth temps toppin 40c. It is 1am and too hot to even contemplate trying to get any sleep.

So far we have been lucky with the cockroaches only spotting the odd one but I have just killed three in the bedroom:scared:

Chris has now built the east Perth equivalent of the berlin Wall at the bottom of the front door to prevent further entries and there has been enough surface spray sprayed to make a small army keel over.

If we were able to sleep we would have to take turns on watch, I know its all part of an Australian summer and although I have accepted cockroaches will make more appearances in hot weather, I still don't like them.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cockroach Central

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Chris has now built the east Perth equivalent of the berlin Wall at the bottom of the front door to prevent further entries and there has been enough surface spray sprayed to make a small army keel over.
When the poor little buggers are on their back and legs are no longer kicking they have lost the will to live. you can stop spraying!!!

As Del Boy Trotter would say "a little dab will do ya"

No idea why I need to be informed everytime we have a little vistor, after all they were not on my side of the bed.

Chris
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hi donna

It is too hot to sleep isn't it!! That's why I'm still here too!!

As for the cockroaches...EEEWWW poor you, we're lucky, I think I've seen only seen a few in the whole time I've been here, and only 1 of them was in the house....and I don't even use the bug spray.

I do however have a cat to catch the mouse that seems to periodically show up in the house!! At least I think it's a mouse!:scared:

Maybe our cat catches them all??

Hope you eventually get some sleep!!

love sophia x
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

We used to get the odd cockroach in our apartment - big brown ones and they gave me the creeps - when we lived in Singapore, but the ones I was terrified of were the flying cockroaches which were usually black. I guess they were the cockroach equivalent of a Queen Bee... :scared:

Just in case you don't already know this, whatever you do, *DO NOT* ever squash a cockroach. They will release thousands of tiny eggs - which will eventually hatch.

A friend this this on a rug in Hong Kong and he went away for a couple of days. You can imagine what he encountered on his return...:scared:

All you can do is spray around with plenty of Baygon etc. I don't think cockroaches even have any predators, so even if you have some house geckos they won't keep roaches away. (I do miss having a gecko around the house, yet I can't stand spiders!)

I do feel for you - they're horrible things.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Aghh!!

I remember living in a flat in Baltimore (as students) and the landlord had the place treated for cockroaches before we moved in. It was partially effective. We had to sweep up the bodies every day and remove a handful from the bath every morning. They didn't all succumb so we still had to make sure the bed was well away from any walls. I had nightmares for years afterwards :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:36 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by lesleys
Aghh!!

I remember living in a flat in Baltimore (as students) and the landlord had the place treated for cockroaches before we moved in. It was partially effective. We had to sweep up the bodies every day and remove a handful from the bath every morning. They didn't all succumb so we still had to make sure the bed was well away from any walls. I had nightmares for years afterwards :scared: :scared: :scared:
Just about to move the bed away from the wall now, We usually find a couple of drowned ones in the pool in the morning and there are always loads running around the pavement if you go for a walk after dark.

There is a strong smell of surface spray in the bedroom so it now stinks but will hopefully be fairly bug free for the rest of the night. At least if anything gets in it will be gassed to death. We are in the room closest to the front door as it seemd the coolest but that is where they first reach if they come in under the front door. I woke to find one on the wall at 6am the other morning and was lucky to see the one in the shower before I stepped in a couple of days ago, but three together was a first for me.

Anyway, heat or no heat it is probably not going to get much cooler tonight so going to try to grab some fitful sleep.

Goodnight all
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Hi Donna
This is your landlady speaking.

You seem to be much loved by both cockroaches and mosquitos, and possibly your pink husband as well.

Go and buy some cockroach baits from the supermarket - the hexagonal plastic thingy's and stick them under the lip of the doorstep and anywhere else you fancy. I'll pay for them. If that doesn't solve the problem, then we'll call Kiwi Steve back to give them another burst. The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure the pine needles are cleaned up from around the base of the trees. They will be making homes for themselves under the ground in an effort to keep cool. If you really want vengence, put some beer in a can and let them drown themselves. They will get thoroughly intoxicated and die happy.

As for the mozzies, I've always used Rid but I'm not as susceptible as you seem to be. The Health Dept website will have advice on how to protect yourself with loose clothing (they can bite through jeans). You are less likely to find them around when there is a breeze - they much prefer still nights. In the meantime, I will check with the council and see if they are still carrying out mosquito control measures.

The good news is that both kinds of wild life will depart the scene as the weather gets cooler.

Meanwhile, as the weather is so hot, see if you can find an air-cooler on one of your shopping trips. The portable, water coolers work ok if you can put them in a window, cut the drain plug so that it works as an overflow outlet, then stick the hose in the back of the cooler on slow drip so you don't have to be always rushing around with the water bucket to fill the reservoir. (Make sure the overflow is outside the window frame, 'cos you don't want to be splashing across the floor.) You can tape flywire over the rest of the opening to stop everything else coming in to join you. Combined with the ceiling fans, you should notice the difference.

If you've still got problems after trying the above suggestions, let me know and we'll try to come up with Plan B.

Dawn
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:37 pm
Good to be back in UK

Hello Dawn,

Did Chris tell you that he is a deep shade of pink? Is it all men that don't listen to their wives giving them good advice
he was in the pool yesterday morning and stayed there into the afternoon through the rise to 40c. Ignoring my warnings and advice to apply suncream.

Then he spent the night baking saying, its warm in here!!!

The cockroaches haven't been a big problem, I think as its getting warmer they seem to be a few more about.

Nothing seen over night though and the pool is clear this morning so I guess if the ones that came in hadn't been gassed they may well have drowned themselves.

It is a good idea to get the bait boxes, we thought they would be detered by the surface spray. I will get some today at the shops and I'll ask Chris to fix up some netting behind the front door.

We went for a walk last night, I covered up but it was so hot and sticky it wasn't nice. Chris went out in his shorts/shirt he put on Jungle Gel (we are working our way through the assortment of repellants we brought with us) but he got bitten

All part of the joys of life out here in Australia, I am much more accepting of cockroaches here than I would have been in UK.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Baits are OK. Try and find where they are coming from and use surface spray in the area. You can spot where they are living with the little shits they leave.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:47 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by bondipom
Baits are OK. Try and find where they are coming from and use surface spray in the area. You can spot where they are living with the little shits they leave.
Serious question - What do the little shits look like?

I think the ones in the back of the house have come in through the plugholes, hence on in the shower, utility room etc, those have been sprayed.

Others at the front of the house come in under the gap in the front door, there is no screen on that door. We have been spraying under the front door every couple of days but it obviously has not deterred them.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:51 pm

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Serious question - What do the little shits look like?

I think the ones in the back of the house have come in through the plugholes, hence on in the shower, utility room etc, those have been sprayed.

Others at the front of the house come in under the gap in the front door, there is no screen on that door. We have been spraying under the front door every couple of days but it obviously has not deterred them.
Clusters of little black spots. They live in tight spaces, corners, hinges, electrical equipment, fridge compressors etc etc. They might well be coming in from outside.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:59 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by bondipom
Clusters of little black spots. They live in tight spaces, corners, hinges, electrical equipment, fridge compressors etc etc. They might well be coming in from outside.
The interior of the house we are in has been completely redecorated days before we moved in and new carpets throughout, so no dark corners for them to hide in. I checked out the fridge compressor last time you posted about that.

I will have a look about for clusters of little black spots.
Thank you.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:01 am

The problem is if they are out sight you might not see the black dots. If you see cracks in walls that they run out of surface spray them. There are some air vents the buggers crawl through and again some more surface spray stopped that.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

I have heard exactly the same thing about squashing cockroaches who then release eggs, not that I would squash once as I am far too squeemish.

As far as predators go I understand that Huntsmen spiders enjoy cockroaches so don't kill the Huntsmen as they serve a very valuable purpose. I would much rather put up with a Huntsmen spider than a cockroache - of course the Huntsmen would have to live outside!

Diana

Originally posted by Englishmum
We used to get the odd cockroach in our apartment - big brown ones and they gave me the creeps - when we lived in Singapore, but the ones I was terrified of were the flying cockroaches which were usually black. I guess they were the cockroach equivalent of a Queen Bee... :scared:

Just in case you don't already know this, whatever you do, *DO NOT* ever squash a cockroach. They will release thousands of tiny eggs - which will eventually hatch.

A friend this this on a rug in Hong Kong and he went away for a couple of days. You can imagine what he encountered on his return...:scared:

All you can do is spray around with plenty of Baygon etc. I don't think cockroaches even have any predators, so even if you have some house geckos they won't keep roaches away. (I do miss having a gecko around the house, yet I can't stand spiders!)

I do feel for you - they're horrible things.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Can anyone help me with the moths !!! they keep heading for the food cupboard , everything is in a container , unless its in a tin . They are having a way day in there , we had chrysalises in the foil , ohhhh yuk . So i have moth balls in there , but that is stinking the cupboard out and its not stopping them . We keep all the flydoors shut so where do the litle buggers come from. Anyone any tips much appreciated .
Joanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.