Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Closing Nationwide account

Closing Nationwide account

Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Closing Nationwide account

They insist on me completing a TT form and posting it to them so would it be simpler to write out a cheque for the balance and post that to my new bank?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:55 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing Nationwide account

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/search/D...x?article=1403

Do it online with the magic blue box to create a reference code!

Keith
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

But this says that I have to post:

Customers without a Card Reader

* click on 'Sterling to UK Bank (CHAPS)' or 'Euros to UK Bank' (CHAPS EURO). Then complete, print and sign your form before sending it to the address shown on the printed form*.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it open. It's always handy to have a UK account. Ours is used for rellies to deposit birthday/christmas money if they don't want to send a pressie. It also keeps some credit rating because who knows what will happen in the future.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:13 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Get a card reader....................Will they post you one, yes!

Register online your card, can you??????????????

Anyone lend DiscoBaby a card reader?

Keith
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Leave it open. It's always handy to have a UK account. Ours is used for rellies to deposit birthday/christmas money if they don't want to send a pressie. It also keeps some credit rating because who knows what will happen in the future.
I am moving to another UK bank but I suppose I could leave it open. Even so, I still need an easy way of moving the bulk of the balance out. I think I will just transfer it all into the flex account and write myself a cheque.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by discobay
I am moving to another UK bank but I suppose I could leave it open. Even so, I still need an easy way of moving the bulk of the balance out. I think I will just transfer it all into the flex account and write myself a cheque.
I would agree with moneypenny20, you never know when you might want to use Nationwide again. They could return to the time when they had some of the best savings rates in the UK.

I guess you must do online banking so why not just transfer directly to your new bank? The £10,000 limit is per transaction so there is nothing to stop you doing 10 transfers one after another if you need to move large amounts.

If you end up with one bank in the UK and they drop their rates that could be difficult.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
I guess you must do online banking so why not just transfer directly to your new bank? The £10,000 limit is per transaction so there is nothing to stop you doing 10 transfers one after another if you need to move large amounts.
That would work out more expensive at GBP20 each time not to mention posting each tt instruction to their pigeon coop.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:07 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

its' free to move your money online with Nationwide, but you will NEED a card reader to do it.

I recently moved a largish sum in using several transactions, it was simple and it was FREE!

The solution to the problem is to order a card reader, and then sort it out online. IMO keeping the Nationwide account open is a great option, it's got a fair few advantages esp. if you're spending your money abroad!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

That would work out more expensive at GBP20 each time not to mention posting each tt instruction to their pigeon coop.
Where are you getting these charges from?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Where are you getting these charges from?
I clicked FAQs -> How can I make a CHAPS payment? -> fees and charges.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:30 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

nah... you don't need to to CHAPS just go to pay bills and transfer the money... 10,000.00 GBP limit per transaction, and completely free!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alipally
nah... you don't need to to CHAPS just go to pay bills and transfer the money... 10,000.00 GBP limit per transaction, and completely free!
Is that free to send and free to receive?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that free to send and free to receive?
It is if you send it to me. I promise, hand on heart, I won't charge you.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

I clicked FAQs -> How can I make a CHAPS payment? -> fees and charges.
The one you want is called Bacs. That has no charge, £10,000 limit each time but you can repeat until you have transferred amount required.

You will need the card reader to confirm the transfer though.

Nationwide confirmed to our son that they would send a card reader to Oz if he needed a replacement when he moved out there, so if you have not got one that should not be a problem.

Has Nationwide got your Oz address?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.