Reload this Page >

Cleaning/kitchen work on a mine site WA

Cleaning/kitchen work on a mine site WA

Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Shaundawn will become famous soon enough
Default Cleaning/kitchen work on a mine site WA

Hi all
I am trying to get a job on a mine site in WA doing cleaning/kitchen hand work for a couple of years.
I've been in touch with the main hospitality companies who don't reply, but seems to be who you know, not your previous experience!
Doe's anyone have any advice?
Thanks a lot.
Dawn
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaning/kitchen work on a mine site WA

Originally Posted by Shaundawn
Hi all
I am trying to get a job on a mine site in WA doing cleaning/kitchen hand work for a couple of years.
I've been in touch with the main hospitality companies who don't reply, but seems to be who you know, not your previous experience!
Doe's anyone have any advice?
Thanks a lot.
Dawn
Hi Dawn,

Entry levels positions are always difficult to come by when they involve the hiring company in expense before the employee even sets foot on site.

If you don't already have a background that indicates that you might be suitable for remote location position, then your chances of an entry level position are like the work site......remote.

As for "It's who you know, not what you know", I've been working in high paying remote location jobs all my life and I've only once ever made the mistake of using my position to have H.R. hire a personal friend who begged me to help them get employment.......never again !

If you are serious about getting an entry level cleaning position, try applying for posts that involve similar duties. Remote hospitality resorts, cattle stations, road houses....any job that covers the same duties in the same type of location.

With three or four months in a similar position and a meaningful reference behind you, I'm sure that you would have a far better chance of being hired, the next time you apply for a similar position with the main service providers.

Always remember that this isn't exactly the best time to be looking for mining positions of any kind.

All the best,

Hino
Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Shaundawn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cleaning/kitchen work on a mine site WA

Thanks for your advice Hino
I know it's slowing down out there but we are hoping to buy a property in the next 6 months or so, so my idea is to get a good deposit but I know its all in hindsight. I do have experience in these fields, but not in a remote area and it would be a difficult decision if anything came up as I have quite a good secure job now, so we shall see what happens.
Thanks again.
Dawn