Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineering job prospects

Civil Engineering job prospects

Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Engineering job prospects

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not sure what you mean about being "young enough to be on the visa waiver programme?" He's looking at a Working Holiday Visa, which is age-restricted, but the Visa Waiver Programme is a US thing.
Good catch. My visa naming error.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Tom.ask88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Infrastructure projects on the east coast are booming. West Coast mining stuff is struggling.

You may get some temporary work. Not impossible. Companies need short term workers for a project or part of a project.

If you are young enough to be on the visa waiver program I would hardly say that's experienced just because you have a degree. Quite inexperienced actually, but that's a good thing as you will be cheap.
I'm experienced because i have been working as a construction engineer for 11 years and completed a degree in the process. I earn around the top rate going for engineers in london and wouldnt leave that behind if i didnt believe in my abilities.
I'm leaving the UK for australia as a single person with no family ties. I'm going to try and stay optimistic.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom.ask88
I'm experienced because i have been working as a construction engineer for 11 years and completed a degree in the process. I earn around the top rate going for engineers in london and wouldnt leave that behind if i didnt believe in my abilities.
I'm leaving the UK for australia as a single person with no family ties. I'm going to try and stay optimistic.
Yeah that's not experienced but don't let that stop you. I work with site engineers who have 2 degrees and 20 years experience. (The degree bit is irrelevant). That's your competition.

None the less you will find work and you will have a ball.

Having the positive attitude you have is the key. Enjoy the trip.