Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineering job prospects

Civil Engineering job prospects

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Izzypig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil Engineering job prospects

I/ my family have made the decision to emigrate to Australia (without ever visiting the country!) I currently work in the Construction Industry and have done for 20 years since graduating from BSc in Civil Engineering. My 'trade' is as a Senior Site Engineer as I took the site path rather than design office, My questions if anyone can help as I have researched to no real avail,
To work on construction sites, do the Australians have an equivalent to CSCS?
The job I perform is called a Surveyor in Ausralia either building/site/project will my 20 years experience be relevant as most jobs ask for degree in surveying which I do not have, though my degree is recognised under the Sydney accord but is not relevant really to the career path I have pursued in this country. If anyone has any knowledge in this or could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as it would very hard to find out that I would not be able to work after basically dragging my family to the other side of the earth and lose everything in the process thankyou in advance
Old Apr 17th 2017, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Tom.ask88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Civil Engineering job prospects

Originally Posted by Izzypig
I/ my family have made the decision to emigrate to Australia (without ever visiting the country!) I currently work in the Construction Industry and have done for 20 years since graduating from BSc in Civil Engineering. My 'trade' is as a Senior Site Engineer as I took the site path rather than design office, My questions if anyone can help as I have researched to no real avail,
To work on construction sites, do the Australians have an equivalent to CSCS?
The job I perform is called a Surveyor in Ausralia either building/site/project will my 20 years experience be relevant as most jobs ask for degree in surveying which I do not have, though my degree is recognised under the Sydney accord but is not relevant really to the career path I have pursued in this country. If anyone has any knowledge in this or could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as it would very hard to find out that I would not be able to work after basically dragging my family to the other side of the earth and lose everything in the process thankyou in advance
Hi mate have you made any progress with the job search?

I'm a site engineer and moving out to Australia on 9th June. I have no work lined up as I planned to take a couple of months travelling and eyeing up somewhere I want to live. If you have any recommendations for me that would be great. Hope it's all worked out for you so far.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom.ask88
Hi mate have you made any progress with the job search?

I'm a site engineer and moving out to Australia on 9th June. I have no work lined up as I planned to take a couple of months travelling and eyeing up somewhere I want to live. If you have any recommendations for me that would be great. Hope it's all worked out for you so far.
If you are coming on a WHV, you are not "moving" to Australia. You are coming on a one year holiday with the proviso that you can work to pay your way. A WHV is not a path to PR for most people.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Dorothy, thanks for that incredibly informative post.

I'll take note of this.

How foolish of me to use the word 'moving' when leaving for another country for 12 months.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:09 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take note of this.

How foolish of me to use the word 'moving' when leaving for another country for 12 months.
Moving temporarily then.

If you are coming on a WHV though, you are restricted to working for an employer for 6 months max. Why would an employer hire you when there are plenty of engineers here who do not have any restrictions on how long they can work for an employer?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

At no stage did I say I was walking into a job that was the whole reason for my original post.

I'm an experienced engineer with a degree. I'd like to think I have something to offer even on a temporary basis. But ok maybe your right and my chances are hopeless. Oh well here's to trying
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that a lot of engineers are looking for work here. The mining industry has taken a dump in WA so your competition would be those who've lost their jobs. People with Australian experience, permanent visas/citizenship and the ability to work long term.

The working holiday is designed for young people to come to Australia to travel and pick up bar work or pick fruit for a year to fund their trip.

Is that more helpful then?
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:34 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

I think the equivalent would be the ubiquitous 'white card' which is a construction industry wide certification.

It's literally a day long course.

NSW linky...

White cards (CIC) - SafeWork NSW

In terms of your role - sounds like it's site engineer/project management type stuff? Lots on in Sydney at the moment - couldn't imagine having a massive problem getting work.

Re comments regarding mining - the slump in mining/engineering demand is completely unrelated to most construction work. It's a whole other ball game.

Cheers
Old Apr 17th 2017, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

At no stage did I say I was walking into a job that was the whole reason for my original post.

I'm an experienced engineer with a degree. I'd like to think I have something to offer even on a temporary basis. But ok maybe your right and my chances are hopeless. Oh well here's to trying
Infrastructure projects on the east coast are booming. West Coast mining stuff is struggling.

You may get some temporary work. Not impossible. Companies need short term workers for a project or part of a project.

If you are young enough to be on the visa waiver program I would hardly say that's experienced just because you have a degree. Quite inexperienced actually, but that's a good thing as you will be cheap.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

I/ my family have made the decision to emigrate to Australia (without ever visiting the country!)
Comments like this worry me, because you want give yourself/family the best chance of success in the new country. If you never been to country, its a risky decision.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:15 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Comments like this worry me, because you want give yourself/family the best chance of success in the new country. If you never been to country, its a risky decision.
Lots of people still do it though. Sometimes due to lack of funds. Sometimes because even if you visit a place, it's nothing like actually living there permanently, even when you are trying not to be in holiday mode.

There is nothing wrong with coming over on a WHV to see if you like the place or not, but treat it as what it is - a working holiday. If you get work at all, it's a bonus. Getting work in your regular line of work may or may not be part of that - hiring processes for permanent jobs are not quick, not sure on casual positions. Either way have a great holiday.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

dragging my family to the other side of the earth and lose everything in the process
This does not sound like a holiday move to me.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by geoff52
This does not sound like a holiday move to me.
Original OP has PR visa - most recent poster is coming on WHV.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Infrastructure projects on the east coast are booming. West Coast mining stuff is struggling.

You may get some temporary work. Not impossible. Companies need short term workers for a project or part of a project.

If you are young enough to be on the visa waiver program I would hardly say that's experienced just because you have a degree. Quite inexperienced actually, but that's a good thing as you will be cheap.
Not sure what you mean about being "young enough to be on the visa waiver programme?" He's looking at a Working Holiday Visa, which is age-restricted, but the Visa Waiver Programme is a US thing.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take note of this.

If you tell DIBP (Immigration) that you are moving to Australia they may assume you intend to ovestay and not leave before your visa expires, and as a result might refuse you entry.
In the world of immigration correct terminology is of immense importance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.