Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student midwife enquiring about elective placement in Australia

Student midwife enquiring about elective placement in Australia

Old Sep 2nd 2017, 8:50 am
Just Joined

evejackson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Student midwife enquiring about elective placement in Australia

Hi I am just about to start my second year as a student midwife and I am staring to thing about the elective placements that our university offers in 3rd year. I really want this to take place in Sydeny Australia but have no idea where to get started with who to contact? If anyone has done a placement like this please can you help me out, with regards to visas, contact details, housing and just any information. Thanks in advance x
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student midwife enquiring about elective placement in Australia

Surely if your UNI offers this then they are the ones to address your questions to in the first place? Or am I missing something?
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:50 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd imagine it may be challenging to do what you intend to do as the likelihood is preference will be given to onshore students (there are many) - and as I understand it there is an oversupply of midwifery students in some areas (usually capital cities). There is also the differences between midwifery in the UK versus Australia to consider (significant according to two of my friends who emigrated as midwives)

Maybe contact the big hospitals (most will have a placement coordinator) and see what they say.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evejackson
Hi I am just about to start my second year as a student midwife and I am staring to thing about the elective placements that our university offers in 3rd year. I really want this to take place in Sydeny Australia but have no idea where to get started with who to contact? If anyone has done a placement like this please can you help me out, with regards to visas, contact details, housing and just any information. Thanks in advance x
Your Uni placement officer is definitely the place to start. They will be able to tell you if it's possible and who to contact if it is. As has been said the set up will be different and Aus rules and regulations may not be relevant to your training. Do come back and ask more if it turns out they are more than happy for you do it. Good luck.