citezenship

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:22 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Smile citezenship

Hi there
as i have said on many threads moving over next year
problem is we want to apply for full citeszenship and i see on some other threads that there are tests etc.

i have looked at many web sites about this but its all confusing (well for a mere Scottish guy like me lol)

is ther anyone who could give me a step by step account on what you need to do were to go as i am really losing the plot.

i know soemone out there was in the same boat as me at sometime so i would really apreaite it if you could help.

thanks
Mick
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citezenship

Originally Posted by mickpower75
Hi there
as i have said on many threads moving over next year
problem is we want to apply for full citeszenship and i see on some other threads that there are tests etc.

i have looked at many web sites about this but its all confusing (well for a mere Scottish guy like me lol)

is ther anyone who could give me a step by step account on what you need to do were to go as i am really losing the plot.

i know soemone out there was in the same boat as me at sometime so i would really apreaite it if you could help.

thanks
Mick
As you have been told in previous threads, the first thing you will need to do is get permanent residency.
You have said that you are moving on a 457. That is a TEMPORARY visa, and you cannot get citizenship from that. You need to get permanent residency first.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/index.htm
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:07 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Smile Re: citezenship

so when can you apply for permanent residency can we do this on arrival and do i require a sponser.

Would i be as well getting a company to do this for me.
If so any idea on cost for a comapny to do this.

thnaks again
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Mickpower,

You first of all need to be in Australia as a permanent resident, then you need to have been resident in Australia as follows:

People who became permanent residents on or after 1 July 2007 must have been lawfully resident in Australia for four years immediately before applying including:

12 months as a permanent resident
and
absences from Australia of no more than 12 months, including no more than three months in the 12 months before applying.

If you comply with that, you should apply for the Citizenship test. Where you sit it and when, depends on which state and city you live in.

In Perth before you sit the test, you have an interview. At this stage you provide your passport with Oz visa, birth certificate and a police clearance certificate (if needed).
When you pass the test you will be given a Test ID, which allows you to apply online for citizenship as well as in writing. I applied online as I was told this is the quickest way to go through the process, it took about a month between sitting the test and receiving the letter of acceptance of my application. If you apply on line you still need to provide a photograph and authenticated Proof of Identity form (the quicker these are submitted the better). I submitted these documents the following day after I sat the citizenship test.
Then you need to attend a Citizenship ceremony, and it's all done.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:32 pm
MickyBhoy

many thanks for you help
we are still in Scotland just now but moving over on oct
what like is the test and what type of questions if you dont mind me asking

Thanks again
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

many thanks for you help
we are still in Scotland just now but moving over on oct
what like is the test and what type of questions if you dont mind me asking

Thanks again
You have to be here 4 years now before you are elegible for citizenship. But you can take the test anytime.

The questions are all about Australia...from settlement, to present. About the economy and government, it's easy if you read the book they supply.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:41 pm
MickyBhoy

thanks again thats a great help

so i need to stay in oZ for 4 years continouos or can i go back to scotland for weddings etc

sorry to be a pest but better to find out now
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

thanks again thats a great help

so i need to stay in oZ for 4 years continouos or can i go back to scotland for weddings etc

sorry to be a pest but better to find out now
It has to be a full 4 years. If you do leave inbetween they just add the days back on to the 4 years.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:58 pm
MickyBhoy

Many thanks again
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:11 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As you have been told in previous threads, the first thing you will need to do is get permanent residency.
You have said that you are moving on a 457. That is a TEMPORARY visa, and you cannot get citizenship from that. You need to get permanent residency first.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/index.htm
As Polly has mentioned a 457 visa cannot lead to a grant of citizenship because its a temp visa. Even if you are resident here for 4 years on a 457 visa you still cant get citizenship.

You need to hold a perm residence visa type, such as 175, and then - and only then can you make application for citizenship once you meet all the requirements including residence and sitting the citizenship exam.

The exam itself is currently considered quite easy and I think it took me all of 4 mins to get 100%. Its a multiple choice exam thats computer based at present. Who knows what it will be like when you qualify to sit it though. Legislation changes.

The first thing would be to try to establish if you can even get a visa type which will allow you to think about citizenship down the track.