Reload this Page >

Choosing a bank/ Opening an account in Australia

Choosing a bank/ Opening an account in Australia

Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Bizkut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Choosing a bank/ Opening an account in Australia

Hi,

looked around and didn't find a thread regarding this subject.

Having received a visa (subclass 189), I will be flying to Sydney to validate it, and will be staying straight away. I have seen online that some banks allow the opening of accounts before arriving, even offering incentives (for example Westpac waives the 5$ monthly service fee for one year).

I've done some research but feel I know little about the banking "habits" in Australia (for example, hidden/surprise fees, limitations in withdrawals, etc.). Can anyone give some pointers?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing a bank/ Opening an account in Australia

If you want a branch network, NAB don't charge a monthly fee - no minimum deposit required.

If you don't care about having a branch network, then there's ING Direct to consider - but to avoid ATM fees, you need to either get cash out in a store that offers it (e.g. supermarkets) or withdraw at least $200 from an ATM.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Each Bank is different. You say you have done some research - then choose one that appears to suit your needs and go for it. The Banks are quite heavily regulated here so any hidden surprises are a big No No and will come back to bite them on the a* (eventually).

Daily cash out limit for EFTPOS debit cards is $1,000 for most banks. When you shop with the “savings” or “cheque” buttons on EFTPOS, or get cash out at an ATM, everything that comes out of your account goes towards your daily limit. Once you’ve reached your daily limit, they block your card until the next day. The limit is on the card, not the account so if there are two of you shopping on the same day, you both have $1k to play with.

Fees and charges are outlined for each account on the relevant financial institution web site.

The biggest ATM network in Australia is Commonwealth Bank but CUA is not far behind. You probably haven't found CUA when doing your research so here is the link
http://www.cua.com.au/forms-and-calc...our-money/atms
Banks do charge for withdrawals from ATMs that aren't their own or they aren't affiliated with.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bizkut
Hi,

looked around and didn't find a thread regarding this subject.

Having received a visa (subclass 189), I will be flying to Sydney to validate it, and will be staying straight away. I have seen online that some banks allow the opening of accounts before arriving, even offering incentives (for example Westpac waives the 5$ monthly service fee for one year).

I've done some research but feel I know little about the banking "habits" in Australia (for example, hidden/surprise fees, limitations in withdrawals, etc.). Can anyone give some pointers?
You can open a Commonwealth Bank Account while in the UK and your bank card will be waiting (they might post it out to you in the UK nowadays) for you in Aus. Most banks do charge for everything ie withdrawls, teller usage, direct debits etc but if would just open my account first and then when you get to Aus have a good look around, some backs (before we left Aus) were dropping a lot of their charges and letting you have free ATM withdrawls. Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can open an account and do a lot more before you move with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. Probably has the biggest network of branches and ATM's as said and you can do online banking as with all the other major banks. We bank with CBA and haven't had any problems FWIW.

https://www.commbank.com.au/personal...australia.html
Old Aug 9th 2013, 9:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Westpac has a branch in London, where you can open an account and do security checks. You need to show your visa, and other ID such as passport, but you can have your bank cards and banking info before you leave the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:42 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to open account when you arrive. I use Bankwest cos they are part of the Commbank group (largest ATM network) and you earn interest on the ATM / debit card account (hero transaction account) unlike most other transaction accounts.

I use UBank (online branch of NAB) for my savings as they have high interest rate and no strict conditions to earn high interest other than a $200 monthly automatic savings plan.

I also have a Citibank ATM account which I only top up when I go overseas.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

We went with Commonwealth Bank. Cards were here when we arrived. Internet banking and the Kaching phone app is truly awesome.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jackieh23
Daily cash out limit for EFTPOS debit cards is $1,000 for most banks. When you shop with the “savings” or “cheque” buttons on EFTPOS, or get cash out at an ATM, everything that comes out of your account goes towards your daily limit. Once you’ve reached your daily limit, they block your card until the next day. The limit is on the card, not the account so if there are two of you shopping on the same day, you both have $1k to play with
Not necessarily our CommBank account (EFTPOS only) has an $800 per day limit on the account so if my OH takes out $800 I can't take anything out for the rest of the day
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by spottydog
Not necessarily our CommBank account (EFTPOS only) has an $800 per day limit on the account so if my OH takes out $800 I can't take anything out for the rest of the day
I was aware of this but is not applicable for new users.

"Keycards issued before 28 July 2008 have a limit of A$800 and those issued after have a limit of A$1000 unless you have changed it since."

From the CBA web site.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

citi bank also have a branch in london and allow free foreign tranactions subject to there exchange rate
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Get used to hearing 'Cheque, savings, or credit?' and having a heart attack when your card is declined. Savings is basically your current account. Credit, for me, is because my debit card can be accepted as a credit card, and that bypasses the limit, but gives you the protection of shopping with a credit card.

Card limits can be changed. Mine was originally $1000, but I've upped it to $3000. If you do hit your limit, try pressing 'credit' next time.

We walked into a Commonwealth Bank branch on the day we arrived. Took less than an hour to have both savings and current accounts setup. Cards arrived a few days later.