Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is this cheating ?

is this cheating ?

Old May 17th 2007, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default is this cheating ?

Am i being naive here? On previous holiday visits we've never been accosted by customs regarding cleanliness of shoes (or any thing else ) on entry into oz.This next visit is on a one way ticket so having read so many negative reports about customs checking the cleanliness of shoes we are thinking about putting all of our footwear into one case (we are going to travel via usa on the 2 piece luggage system so there should be just enough room for er indoors' shoes) and we were wondering what the likelyhoods of being stopped and told we could not bring the shoes into the country because they are not thoroughly cleaned(hence avoiding the cleaning or destroying charges if subject to a dodgy customs official).Anyone done this before ???
Old May 17th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this cheating ?

Our shoes weren't checked at all. I'd say if you have given them a clean - eg got rid of any clumps of mud on trainers/walking shoes, and wiped down the soles of ordinary shoes, then you should be fine. They aren't going to take out a microscope, or do chemical tests for traces of foreign soil.... are they?
Old May 17th 2007, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We only brought clothes, shoes etc with us (no containers) in our suitcases, went straight through customs with no trouble at all (and No, I didn't disinfect any of our shoes ).

Also I would think they would only stop you if they had reason to think you are trying to smuggle something in or you look dodgy It probably depends who you get and how 'awkward' they want to be, but I imagine the majority of people just come straight through with no problems at all.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Our shoes weren't checked at all. I'd say if you have given them a clean - eg got rid of any clumps of mud on trainers/walking shoes, and wiped down the soles of ordinary shoes, then you should be fine. They aren't going to take out a microscope, or do chemical tests for traces of foreign soil.... are they?
hopefully not but i have read on this forum where people have actually sent UNWORN SHOES in their container and have been told to either pay for them to be cleanesd or pay for destruction !
Old May 17th 2007, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
hopefully not but i have read on this forum where people have actually sent UNWORN SHOES in their container and have been told to either pay for them to be cleanesd or pay for destruction !

Ah, well you see you never mentioned a container

They will more than likely check a container, so yes put them in your case
Old May 17th 2007, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy
We only brought clothes, shoes etc with us (no containers) in our suitcases, went straight through customs with no trouble at all (and No, I didn't disinfect any of our shoes ).

Also I would think they would only stop you if they had reason to think you are trying to smuggle something in or you look dodgy It probably depends who you get and how 'awkward' they want to be, but I imagine the majority of people just come straight through with no problems at all.
well maybe we'll fetch one case of shoes then and one case of drugs ( as a safe guard )and hope they confiscate the drugs !!!! bobby
Old May 17th 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Those shoes specifically or 'shoes' in general - eg there might have been some dirty ones too? I have heard a few stories of things being destroyed - we were expecting to lose something, but luckily didn't.
I don't think it's so bad at customs in the airport - if you think about it most of the people coming through are tourists, they do not worry about disinfecting their shoes. Just make sure they are clean.
(If anything, I'd think they'd be more likely to check a bag full of just shoes, as it will show up on the x-rays. It would look much more normal if everyone packed their own shoes in with their things.)
Old May 17th 2007, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well maybe we'll fetch one case of shoes then and one case of drugs ( as a safe guard )and hope they confiscate the drugs !!!! bobby

They'll probably let you keep the drugs and take the shoes off you
Old May 17th 2007, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They'll probably let you keep the drugs and take the shoes off you
oh bugger er indoors' shoes are probably worth more than a container full of drugs these days !! well its back to the drawing board i guess and try to develop an extra 70 feet very quickly.Anyone know of a quick FOOT fitter ??
Old May 17th 2007, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh bugger er indoors' shoes are probably worth more than a container full of drugs these days !! well its back to the drawing board i guess and try to develop an extra 70 feet very quickly.Anyone know of a quick FOOT fitter ??

Why not put all the new looking shoes into the container and take any older ones in your cases, but mix them in with clothes a little bit.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why not put all the new looking shoes into the container and take any older ones in your cases, but mix them in with clothes a little bit.
basically i think its a catch 22 situation doing that .putting the new ones in the container probably means that they're more special to er indoors so she would definitely not want to leave it to customs discretion whether they get in or not and putting the older ones in the suitcase thus sort of guaranteeing the newer ones a safe entry ticket probably means that she'll have to go out and buy some newer ones if they're confiscated cos the older ones fit the best(being a lady you'll probably understand that wendy !!)
Old May 18th 2007, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

basically i think its a catch 22 situation doing that .putting the new ones in the container probably means that they're more special to er indoors so she would definitely not want to leave it to customs discretion whether they get in or not and putting the older ones in the suitcase thus sort of guaranteeing the newer ones a safe entry ticket probably means that she'll have to go out and buy some newer ones if they're confiscated cos the older ones fit the best(being a lady you'll probably understand that wendy !!)

No, I'm not a shoe person. If it were me I'd chuck them all out
Old May 18th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I put most of my shoes in the container, making the great sacrifice of surviving on just a couple of pairs for the last three months.

Then I realised I needed a decent pair of evening shoes, and a good pair of walking shoes... so I went shopping!
Old May 18th 2007, 1:32 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Am i being naive here? On previous holiday visits we've never been accosted by customs regarding cleanliness of shoes (or any thing else ) on entry into oz.This next visit is on a one way ticket so having read so many negative reports about customs checking the cleanliness of shoes we are thinking about putting all of our footwear into one case (we are going to travel via usa on the 2 piece luggage system so there should be just enough room for er indoors' shoes) and we were wondering what the likelyhoods of being stopped and told we could not bring the shoes into the country because they are not thoroughly cleaned(hence avoiding the cleaning or destroying charges if subject to a dodgy customs official).Anyone done this before ???
I think this shoe business at customs is over-rated. We had no problems at all and my kids trainers were dirty.

All our other shoes we packed in container and although we did clean them, everything was unchecked.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by esperanza
I put most of my shoes in the container, making the great sacrifice of surviving on just a couple of pairs for the last three months.

Then I realised I needed a decent pair of evening shoes, and a good pair of walking shoes... so I went shopping!
a thread devoted to the shipping of shoes... what ever next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.