British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cheapest flights to Oz via the USA please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cheapest-flights-oz-via-usa-please-413590/)

alkristensen Dec 14th 2006 10:15 am

Cheapest flights to Oz via the USA please

Can anyone tell me if there are bargain ways of going via the USA onwards to Australia even if there are a few stops en route.

We dont mind going with 1 or 10 airlines and fancy an adventure so any ideas and routes are great.

We also dont mind using a round the world ticket if the prices arent much different to reurns, as we can then come back a year later and then buy another ticket and do the same. I intend fully to come back one a year as even at £1000 a ticket, its only £3 a day and we havent got kids. Yet:scared:

Thanks

Alk

Swerv-o Dec 14th 2006 12:50 pm

Re: Cheapest flights to Oz via the USA please

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Can anyone tell me if there are bargain ways of going via the USA onwards to Australia even if there are a few stops en route.

We dont mind going with 1 or 10 airlines and fancy an adventure so any ideas and routes are great.

We also dont mind using a round the world ticket if the prices arent much different to reurns, as we can then come back a year later and then buy another ticket and do the same. I intend fully to come back one a year as even at £1000 a ticket, its only £3 a day and we havent got kids. Yet:scared:

Thanks

Alk

I flew with United via San Fransisco in July. It cost me £600 + taxes via Ebookers. I got a massive 64 kg baggage allowance, which came in really handy in the end.

Air NZ give the same allowance, but be aware that United charge a fee for baggage over 23 kg - US$50 per bag, but that's not that much - about £35 I think. It comes down to the check in person. I told them that I was emigrating, and they waived the fee.

All in all, a reasonable set of flights. A stop over in SF or LA is really easy, and you don't have to worry about the airline honouring baggage allowances, as they are standard.

Also, the jet lag isn't so bad that way, as the journey is more in tune with your body clock...

S

Buzzy--Bee Dec 14th 2006 6:25 pm

Try www.travelmood.com. They are wholesalers for the big airlines and have consistently given me the best deals for 12 years.

:beer:

Buzzy

alkristensen Dec 14th 2006 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I flew with United via San Fransisco in July. It cost me £600 + taxes via Ebookers. I got a massive 64 kg baggage allowance, which came in really handy in the end.

Air NZ give the same allowance, but be aware that United charge a fee for baggage over 23 kg - US$50 per bag, but that's not that much - about £35 I think. It comes down to the check in person. I told them that I was emigrating, and they waived the fee.

All in all, a reasonable set of flights. A stop over in SF or LA is really easy, and you don't have to worry about the airline honouring baggage allowances, as they are standard.

Also, the jet lag isn't so bad that way, as the journey is more in tune with your body clock...

S

Thanks guys, how long in advance do you or did you book these flights in advance please.

What i mean is- are these flights part of a promo then or do you have to book them months or so in advance or were they last minute.

Thanks alot for the answers so far, especially the tip abouit the jetlag.

al

Swerv-o Dec 14th 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks guys, how long in advance do you or did you book these flights in advance please.

What i mean is- are these flights part of a promo then or do you have to book them months or so in advance or were they last minute.

al

United have specials throughout the year, but they are offered by the travel companies. never try to book it with them direct, as they cost a fortune that way!

S

Weasy Dec 14th 2006 9:28 pm

We've just booked with Air New Zealand with a 2 week stop over in LA (have to pay more taxes if you leave the airport). We've paid £2604.00 for 2 adults and 2 kids on the 10th January through http://www.leestravelclub.com/cms/Ru...=ASP\Pg154.asp and we shopped around quite a lot. Flights with British Airways and Qantas came in a little cheaper but leg pitch and all the other conforts were better with Air New Zealand.

Lou
xx

al

h2oskineil Dec 16th 2006 12:02 pm

Thanks

Alk

I think you'll find all flights via the USA will give you 64kg baggage allowance. We had it the other year with Air New Zealand.... Sydney - Aukland - LA - London.

Neil.

Pollyana Dec 16th 2006 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Weasy
We've just booked with Air New Zealand with a 2 week stop over in LA (have to pay more taxes if you leave the airport). We've paid £2604.00 for 2 adults and 2 kids on the 10th January through http://www.leestravelclub.com/cms/Ru...=ASP\Pg154.asp and we shopped around quite a lot. Flights with British Airways and Qantas came in a little cheaper but leg pitch and all the other conforts were better with Air New Zealand.

Lou
xx

Beware British Airways - stong rumours from the industry of impending strike action by cabin crew early next year....... :eek:

SydneySwede Dec 17th 2006 8:42 pm

Thanks

Alk

Try Austravel 08701662020 or Trailfinders 08450585858. We booked with Austravel and went Heathrow to Los Angeles to Auckland to Sydney (just a few hours in each place) for about 550 pounds. It was a combines Virgin Atlantic/ Air New Zealand ticket with 64kg luggage allowance and Swerv-o is right, the jet lag is not too bad!

woodiesinaus Dec 18th 2006 11:17 am

If you want an adventure then do what I did in March. Fly to Boston get an Amtrak pass for a couple of weeks or so and travel to LA, then get a flight to Aus. Cost about 650 pounds altogether and got to see NY, Chicago, Denver, SF etc. I'm not into trains but it beats driving and the stations are in the middle of the cities so no wasting time or money on taxis or waiting around to catch flights.

Bubbles Dec 19th 2006 5:03 am

Hi

we bought a multiple destinations ticket with American airlines on Expedia with 5 stops i belive we paid about £1300, we went NY, rio, san fran, vegas, la, sydney. If you are going with American sign up for the platinum challenge, if you fly a certian number of miles in x days you get a platinum card which means you can use the lounges and business class check in.

Tracy