Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Change of Circumstances

Change of Circumstances

Old Jun 5th 2002, 1:35 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Change of Circumstances

Hi all,

I've been reading quite a few questions on the change of status/circumstances after applying to DIMIA.

I understand that DIMIA will forward the applicant a form (can't remember the number) that allows the applicant to update his/her details to DIMIA. Something like a notification of change in circumstances.

Can the applicant use this form to update DIMIA with events that have happened to him/her during the period in between the sending of the application to the date DIMIA sends the form?

New events like marriage (where the applicant was single at the time of applying), divorce (where the applicant was married when applying), etc... perhaps?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
Peter
Old Jun 7th 2002, 6:56 am
jsg
Forum Regular

jsg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change of Circumstances

Can't remember where I heard this, but I believe that changes in circumstances have to be notified as they occur - especially big changes (from a migration standpoint) such as marriage. It sounds like DIMIA expects the changes in circumstances form to come back saying "no changes" - and they will then issue the visa. If there are changes, they have to decide whether the changes are significant, and may ask for more info etc... sounds like a recipe for (further) delay.

jsg
Old Jun 7th 2002, 7:03 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Circumstances

I guess if the changes were stuff like address updates, a new phone number or even a new higher degree (done parttime perhaps), it won't derail the issuance of the visa.

However, if it's a divorce, the issue of custody of the children may come into question. Perhaps DIMIA would have to delay the application to allow for the applicant to prove that everything is in order after the divorce.

Or if it's a marriage, the issue of including the applicant's new hubby/wife would one of real concern for the applicant. DIMIA might delay the application to allow time for the new spouse to get the required medical or police checks.

What I was wondering is if such a significant change in one's circumstance could be simply transmitted to DIMIA using the forms mentioned, and if DIMIA would be so kind as to allow the inclusion of a new (and first) spouse using this method.

Cheers,
Peter