Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Certified Documents - Leeds

Certified Documents - Leeds

Old Jan 17th 2002, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Hi,

My wife and I have recently decided to take the plunge and apply for PR in Australia after visiting some friends out there last summer.

First, can I say what an amazing help this message board has been since I stumbled across it. Too be able to find help and information from people that have been through the same thing is invaluable.

Anyway, to the point of my post. I am currently in the process of gathering together all the official documents that we require, and will soon need to get the certified.

The problem I am having is finding someone in the Leeds (and surrounding) area who can do this at a reasonable price.

Therefore, I would be grateful to hear from anyone who knows where I can get my "Certified Copies" done in the Leeds area for a sensible charge. I would also be interested to know what is a reasonable charge for this sevice - what did you all pay?

Also, what is the definition of a "certified document"? The stuff from DIMA suggests that you just need to get a photocopy of the original document signed. However, one solicitor I contacted explained that he would have to check that each individual document (the originals) are authentic before he can sign them. Is this correct?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Jan 17th 2002, 8:25 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We had all our documents - we took all originals and photocopies (already done) to the solicitor who handled our house purchase - they did the Certified copies - FOR FREE, worth a try if you have recently used a solictor for any reason, and they told us they provide this service for all their clients.
Old Jan 17th 2002, 9:39 pm
Ian Slater

what you need is a solicitor who is also a "notary public" - try the yellow pages.
mine took possession of the originals, did the photocopies, then certified them for
£20.00. whoever certifies the documents has to have sight of the originals so he can
affirm that the copies are of the real thing. HTH ian slater

WhiteRose
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 17th 2002, 10:26 pm
Hobbit

i went down my police station and the data protection officer did it for free and he
smiled and wished me well....

"Ian Slater" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> >Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >My wife and I have recently decided to take the plunge and apply for PR in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Australia after visiting some friends out there last summer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >First, can I say what an amazing help this message board has been since I stumbled[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >across it. Too be able to find help and information from people that have been[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >through the same thing is invaluable.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Anyway, to the point of my post. I am currently in the process of gathering[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >together all the official documents that we require, and will soon need to get the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >certified.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >The problem I am having is finding someone in the Leeds (and surrounding) area who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >can do this at a reasonable price.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Therefore, I would be grateful to hear from anyone who knows where I can get my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >"Certified Copies" done in the Leeds area for a sensible charge. I would also be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >interested to know what is a reasonable charge for this sevice - what did you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >all pay?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Also, what is the definition of a "certified document"? The stuff from DIMA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >suggests that you just need to get a photocopy of the original document signed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >However, one solicitor I contacted explained that he would have to check that each[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >individual document (the originals) are authentic before he can sign them. Is this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >correct?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Thanks for all your help.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >--[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 18th 2002, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the suggestion Sandra.

Does anyone else have an specific suggestions for firms in the Leeds area that provide the certification service?
Old Jan 18th 2002, 3:33 pm
Michael Morahan

"Hobbit" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > >Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >My wife and I have recently decided to take the plunge and apply for PR in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Australia after visiting some friends out there last summer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >First, can I say what an amazing help this message board has been since I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >stumbled across it. Too be able to find help and information from people that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >have been through the same thing is invaluable.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Anyway, to the point of my post. I am currently in the process of gathering[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >together all the official documents that we require, and will soon need to get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >the certified.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >The problem I am having is finding someone in the Leeds (and surrounding) area[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >who can do this at a reasonable price.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Therefore, I would be grateful to hear from anyone who knows where I can get my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >"Certified Copies" done in the Leeds area for a sensible charge. I would also be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >interested to know what is a reasonable charge for this sevice - what did you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >all pay?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Also, what is the definition of a "certified document"? The stuff from DIMA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >suggests that you just need to get a photocopy of the original document signed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >However, one solicitor I contacted explained that he would have to check that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >each individual document (the originals) are authentic before he can sign them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Is this correct?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Thanks for all your help.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >--[/usenetquote2]

I used two different people. One is a JP (magistrate) that my wife knows through
work. The other is a friend of mine who is a police officer. Both have signed
documents for free. If you personally know a police officer or someone in a suitable
profession, ask him/her to do
it. A "Certified" copy is an exact copy of an original document, signed as such by an
appropriate person. In the UK I believe, membership of most professions confers
the right to certify documents. Therefore there is a good chance that you
personally know someone who can sign your documents. Maybe someone can confirm or
deny this?

Rgds

Michael

Old Jan 18th 2002, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

Where the documents that you had signed by the police officer accept as "certified copies" by the Australian authorities, or are you still waiting to find out?

Has anyone who has had there "certified copies" done by a police officer had them successfully accepted with their application.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jan 20th 2002, 8:20 pm
Pete

I just walked into a notary public office one lunchtime (I'd never been in there
before) and they did it right there and then, no problemo, and all they asked was a
few quid in the charity bottle. Who says the Scots are tight, ha.

Pete

Old Jan 20th 2002, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pete.

Can anyone confirm that they have had documents which have been certified by a police officer successfully accepted by the Australian authorities.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd 2002, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Is anyone able to confirm that they have had documents which have been certified by a police officer successfully accepted by the Australian authorities.

I would appreciate any replies on this. Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd 2002, 8:30 am
Jamie Corr

It would not surprise me if they were accepted, as in Australia the classes of people
who can certify documents are quite long and varied. They include some types of
Postal workers, Nurses, Employees of a State or Commonwealth department with 5 years
or more continuous service, etc, etc.

-Jamie

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jamie.

I would still be grateful for any other response/experiences in this matter. I am particularly keen to know that documents certified by a police officer have been successfully accepted.