Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety?

Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety?

Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety?

Hi All

I may have the opportunity to complete a Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety doing distance study at a price of $699.
I can use evidence from my job in the uk where I regularly have to manage work place risks.

Can anyone advise if it is a good course to do and would help employment opportunities.

Thanks

Rich

Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:47 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety?

Originally Posted by richie-318
Hi All

I may have the opportunity to complete a Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety doing distance study at a price of $699.
I can use evidence from my job in the uk where I regularly have to manage work place risks.

Can anyone advise if it is a good course to do and would help employment opportunities.

Thanks

Rich

Hi Mate
I am currently doing the same course (paid for by my employer) as part of my personal development.

Might be useful for you in a job interview, but that's about it. I wouldn't consider it was a qualification that an employer would be requesting someone to have.... though might be wrong.

What were you expecting to get out of completing the course, is it to gain HSE knowledge or to give you the edge in an interview.

Cheers
Neil.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Neil

Cheers, I was hoping it might be a required course to work in that particular field of work. From what you have said it sounds more like an add on.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richie-318
Neil

Cheers, I was hoping it might be a required course to work in that particular field of work. From what you have said it sounds more like an add on.
Hi Richie - I agree that a Cert 4 course might be a useful addition to your base qualification, but if you wanted to work as an OH&S person in mining, oil and gas or most government depts., for example, you would either need a degree qualification, or a graduate diploma completed after another undergraduate degree.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

you only need a cert 4 whs to be a safety adviser on a construction site
but they like some sort of work experience on site too
a few jobs about at the moment for whso`s

I did the course in the class room over 1 week and then at home over another 4 weeks
not sure I could do it online it`s quite involved
If your very confident and have a bit of experience you could go straight in and do the diploma
have a look at jumbo safety training they are cheapest for online I think at 499 for cert 4 and 700 for diploma
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
you only need a cert 4 whs to be a safety adviser on a construction site
but they like some sort of work experience on site too
a few jobs about at the moment for whso`s

I did the course in the class room over 1 week and then at home over another 4 weeks
not sure I could do it online it`s quite involved
If your very confident and have a bit of experience you could go straight in and do the diploma
have a look at jumbo safety training they are cheapest for online I think at 499 for cert 4 and 700 for diploma

I don't doubt that some Cert 4 training organisations offer this qualification as a stand alone for some jobs, but for the purposes of a successful skills assessment for emigrating I still think a degree qualification is necessary.

https://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/251312.php
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't doubt that some Cert 4 training organisations offer this qualification as a stand alone for some jobs, but for the purposes of a successful skills assessment for emigrating I still think a degree qualification is necessary.

https://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/251312.php

never realised this was for migration
you may be right then long time since I was involved with visa`s
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 2:05 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
never realised this was for migration
you may be right then long time since I was involved with visa`s
No worries rodandhayley, a good thing about BE is that people offer lots of different views on a subject, and it gives people asking the question a few lines of enquiry to follow