Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Casual Work - Should I be getting taxed?

Casual Work - Should I be getting taxed?

Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:17 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Casual Work - Should I be getting taxed?

I have recently started some casual work, a few hours a week, I got my first 'pay packet' yesterday, was for 2 hours work $92, and I was taxed $15, is this right? Should there not be a threshold I've to reach before I get taxed? These are the first $ I've earned in Aussieland....

(Also I realise the whole Aussie tax system thingymajigger is complicated, so I want to get the 'Australian Tax for Dummies' book, anyone recommend where I'd buy it, tried a local book shop today with no joy....)
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Casual Work - Should I be getting taxed?

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...4n10050508.pdf
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

So, the table on Page 4, if I'm earning 0 to 6k, I don't pay any tax til I've earned over 6k? Is that right or have I misunderstood it?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
So, the table on Page 4, if I'm earning 0 to 6k, I don't pay any tax til I've earned over 6k? Is that right or have I misunderstood it?
I think it usually works that you pay tax based on how much you would earn in the year if you worked those hours all year and then you get to claim it back when you put in your tax return if you have paid to much. So they spread your tax free allowance over the whole year as they do in the UK. I've never really understood it but I think it works like that, you certainly don't earn $6000 each year before you pay any tax for that year, we all get taxed each pay packet. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!!!! I probably am!!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartinis
I think it usually works that you pay tax based on how much you would earn in the year if you worked those hours all year and then you get to claim it back when you put in your tax return if you have paid to much. So they spread your tax free allowance over the whole year as they do in the UK. I've never really understood it but I think it works like that, you certainly don't earn $6000 each year before you pay any tax for that year, we all get taxed each pay packet. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!!!! I probably am!!
Thats the way it works
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:47 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Dur, me silly! So, tell me, where am I gonna buy this Aussie Tax for Dum(asses)mies?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Dur, me silly! So, tell me, where am I gonna buy this Aussie Tax for Dum(asses)mies?
I honestly and seriously strongly advise you not to try and to your tax yourself. You will cost yourselves 100's of dollars in lost tax claims.

It'll be ok this first year because you will only earn a small amount, but once you get to crica 45k to 100k as a joint family income and especially if you have kids. Reason being Centerlink v the Taxman..... even HR Block cannot understand those rules.

Not sure if you have kids or not.... dont attempt it if you do. If you dont have kids, then you can probably give it a go... as long as you dont have a lot of medical expenses.

I bet my bloke can beat ABCD.... only because my bloke really hates the tax system and especially centerlink. It is so more complex than what it appears.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 12th 2010 at 3:55 am.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:54 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I honestly and seriously strongly advise you not to try and to your tax yourself. You will cost yourselves 100's of dollars in lost tax claims.

It'll be ok this first year because you will only earn a small amount, but once you get to crica 45k to 100k as a joint family income and especially if you have kids. Reason being Centerlink v the Taxman..... even HR Block cannot understand those rules.

Not sure if you have kids or not.... dont attempt it if you do. If you dont have kids, then you can probably give it a go... as long as you dont have a lot of medical expenses.
No, no kids, teaching them is hard enough work at times without having them at home to contend with! I just want to understand the tax system over here a bit better, for instance, is it in anyway like the UK? Once I start teaching will I actually be paying tax out of my wages like I did in the UK, or will I end up having a huge tax bill at the end of the financial year, I'm confuzzled?!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

No, no kids, teaching them is hard enough work at times without having them at home to contend with! I just want to understand the tax system over here a bit better, for instance, is it in anyway like the UK? Once I start teaching will I actually be paying tax out of my wages like I did in the UK, or will I end up having a huge tax bill at the end of the financial year, I'm confuzzled?!
You shouldnt end up with a large tax bill unless you claim from centerlink for kids. Which in your case isnt relevant.

The better the tax agent the more you will be able to claim back.... thats it in a nutshell.

From books to washing uniforms all tax deductable. Teacher eh ? you should be able to claim computers and internet. Possibly interest on your mortgage/rent component for the Study/Library part of your house (say 15 pct of your mortgage).... like I said it is horribly complex. Then there's salary packaging which you should be on and compounds the whole issue.

You'll be fine though... you've got 15 months before the real crunch hits.

Once you start earning decent money as a couple get yourself a very good tax agent on recommendation from your peers.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 12th 2010 at 4:04 am.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:00 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

You shouldnt end up with a large tax bill unless you claim from centerlink for kids. Which in your case isnt relevant.

The better the tax agent the more you will be able to claim back.... thats it in a nutshell.

From books to washing uniforms all tax deductable.

You'll be fine though... you've got 15 months before the real crunch hits.
So do I keep receipts for things?! If so, what kind of things?!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:05 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Jen, you shouldn't be paying tax! If you earn 100 a week over 40 weeks, that's only $4k, still $2k under! I'd ask them to stop deducting, as it is your only job! They don't tax me!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anything to do with your job and your house for the first year. Especially Mortgage payments or Rent.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 12th 2010 at 4:08 am.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Jen, you shouldn't be paying tax! If you earn 100 a week over 40 weeks, that's only $4k, still $2k under! I'd ask them to stop deducting, as it is your only job! They don't tax me!
I'd pay it and claim it back... because the job situation can change.... I do realise there is only 3 months of the year left and that is a special circumstance. Nothing worse than a tax bill.

Is your income likely to go up quickly J ?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:13 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

I'd pay it and claim it back... because the job situation can change.... I do realise there is only 3 months of the year left and that is a special circumstance. Nothing worse than a tax bill.

Is your income likely to go up quickly J ?
I'm waiting for my Teacher Registration to be processed, which could be another two months yet...I've no idea how much a teacher with 10 years experience will get as a daily rate doing relief teaching?!

So in all honesty, no, I don't think I'll earn $6k this year, but it'd be nice!

The OH bought me a new laptop yesterday, as my old one died, so it'll be used for school work etc, so that and the broadband connection of $50 a month, I can claim tax back on those as I'll use them for my job? I also use the car to get to work, so can that be claimed back on?!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm waiting for my Teacher Registration to be processed, which could be another two months yet...I've no idea how much a teacher with 10 years experience will get as a daily rate doing relief teaching?!

So in all honesty, no, I don't think I'll earn $6k this year, but it'd be nice!

The OH bought me a new laptop yesterday, as my old one died, so it'll be used for school work etc, so that and the broadband connection of $50 a month, I can claim tax back on those as I'll use them for my job? I also use the car to get to work, so can that be claimed back on?!
Yes a car can be claimed between two different jobs so can meals in certain circumstances. If you find yourself working at two different places, then you may be better of becoming self employed. Like I said you need an accountant to bounce these things off, or at the very least talk to the people you work with quickly.

The difference between a good accountant and a so so one is, a good one will ask questions about travelling and meals and other left of center claims that you never thought possible. Whereas a soso one will wait for you to point out things to them.

Your biggest claim should be your household expenses for your job I would think...... Hmmm you could actually possibly hide a cable tv connection with this.... wouldnt recommend it personally until I talked to peers though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.