Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Casual Employee!

Casual Employee!

Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:05 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casual Employee!

Originally Posted by rabsody
Grow up! OP is just trying to get an idea of the working conditions here FFS! .
I think the OP didn't like the responses on her other thread about the employer offering her $10 000 per year less than what she wanted for a position.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Grow up! OP is just trying to get an idea of the working conditions here FFS! If you have nothing constructive to add, then don't bother.
I had a long and measured reply to the original poster's comment that I shouldn't bother replying to start with but I decided that it would be a waste of time posting it - and it looks like I was right.

The original poster is basing her comments on actions by crooked employer in NZ and is upset that a job offer to her husband isn't what she wants. Has she considered with if there was NO casual contracts allowed, her husband may not be offered ANY job? - period. Employers are not there to act as a service to give people work. And if is is so bad here, why is she and her husband leaving NZ to move to Brisbane ?

p.s. the last time I checked this was a discussion forum - not a means to shout people down when you don't like what they say.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:45 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Masadal
Exactly,casual labour can work for both parties but there are major abuses of the long term casual worker on a large scale.
Agreed. And this is what we're talking about here i.e long term casual employment which in effect isn't casual at all - it's abuse

Originally Posted by DrWho
.....but coming from 20 years as an employer in the UK it's quite nice to see the playing field leveled out a bit...
Just because someone is an employer doesn't give them the right to abuse their workforceby keeping people on long term casual contracts. If companies like this don't receive loyalty from their staff I'd say they need to ask themselves why? People management is the key, not abusing the workforce by keeping everyone on long term casual contracts and treating them like throwaway commodities

Originally Posted by Masadal
It,s a real shame because a fair percentge of casuals would be very hard working permanent employees if given the chance.
Agreed. Management should learn to manage and get rid of those who don't comply to their working contract rather than treat everyone with the same contempt by making all employees work on long term casual contracts.

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
......Has she considered with if there was NO casual contracts allowed, her husband may not be offered ANY job? - period. .
Are you kidding

......Employers are not there to act as a service to give people work. .
Your attitude in terms of employee/employer relationship quite frankly is amazing. You seem to think someone should be grateful for a job to such an extent that they should think themselves lucky they are working at all

An employee / empoloyer relationship should be on an even keel i.e there is a "contract" between both parties to ensure the employee does a good job as required and the employer offers to be fair and equitable in terms of pay and conditions in relation to what is required. Neither parties should shaft the other on the basis either has the upper hand.

......And if is is so bad here, why is she and her husband leaving NZ to move to Brisbane ?.
I think the OP was worried that casual employment is the norm in Aus and was asking a question accordingly.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. the last time I checked this was a discussion forum - not a means to shout people down when you don't like what they say.
Which was exactly what you were doing to the OP.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How about everyone takes a deep breath before they post again...please!!!

It IS a discussion forum, that means discussion, not argument. Room for everyone's views
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:11 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How about everyone takes a deep breath before they post again...please!!!

It IS a discussion forum, that means discussion, not argument. Room for everyone's views
Nah, I reckon we stick them all in a small room, gaffa tape them together, play 'eye of the tiger' and see who gets the best of who.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Nah, I reckon we stick them all in a small room, gaffa tape them together, play 'eye of the tiger' and see who gets the best of who.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:49 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
...Room for everyone's views
Doesn't look like it...
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:14 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DrWho
Doesn't look like it...
Coiurse there is, we just ask people to express themselves politely, and respect everyone else's opinions ......as you well know
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I was speaking to my boss today an aussie & had a talk about the post, upto this year he has used casual employment as a way of getting short term labour when he needs, then if work drops off he can finish them. If he gets a good worker then he will do his best to keep them, in my trade the problem is uk workers are about 10yr ahead of aussie, so when i was casual & the work dried up he kept paying me, he said i was an w***er for 6mth but he couldnt do enything about it the company then had a secret meeting deciding that they would take on a school lever pay them f**k all, then the pom (me) would teach them the trade,i can feel a rise coming on again. However you are employed remember you are making them money if you dont like how you are being treated say something to them. GARY
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Fight! Fight! Fight! . . .
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:41 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Sorry I havent added to the discussion after starting it, I have been very busy and just got chance to read comments up to date.

My husband who is a painter and decorator had two interviews whilst in Brisbane, one offering casual employment and one offering a permanent employee/employer relationship. To be honest we have never come accross the 'casual' employment type before and after doing a bit of research wasnt completely happy about what we were reading. I was, some of the posters pointed out, just asking if this type of employment was common in Australia as it is something we will need to get our head around. Obviously due to my husbands last employer taking the P*** in NZ, we are a bit wary and rightly so!

We have of course read everyones point of views and opinions about this practice and will make our own minds up about what we feel will be a right descision for us at the end of the day. I can just say that I have been a bit shocked about this 'casual' status and how it is practiced and its been a bit of an eye opener for us.

If my thread on 'casual' employment has helped informed us about this Australian practice then it probably will help inform others making the move which is the whole point of this website and forum.

We have nothing whatsoever against Australia and are really looking forward to making the move just as soon as we can but there is nothing wrong in asking questions of matters that mean something to us as indivudals and by no means did I set out to affend anyone!

Now I personally have completely different concerns than my husband, I am not likely to be taken on in a 'casual' basis as my career is in the architectural field. I had three interviews last week in Brisbane and all three asked bluntly during the interview what salary I was requesting. I suggested in the region of 65,000 + super (which is also a new concept to me) and no one during the interviews said a thing about this. It wasnt until I had a confirmed job offer, following the interviews, when they offered a much, much, lower salary than this.

I felt that the Aussie employers seem to be very blunt and up front asking questions about salaries but then wouldnt discuss with you face to face about whether this sum was in the ball park. A bit of a wishy washy approach in my opinion. The employer and I are now having to communicate about the employment offer, via email which is not ideal.

My husband and I are both looking forward to many years of happy employment in Australia and being that we are going to make a living want to get this important factor right and felt that asking the many experienced people on British Expats was the right way to go.

Can I just say, that its very hard to get words or comments sounding right in a written situation such as these threads and how easy it is to take things the wrong way without the benifit of knowing someone or discussing situations face to face. So cut some slack!

Debbie and Simon
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Spellbound

65k + super is about right. Was the offer much below that, and did you try and negotiate, did you turn it down? If you didn't go back to them and barter. If its through a recruitment consultancy, get them to do it for you.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:33 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sparticus

They are offering 60,00 less super so if I understand Super correctly, I loose a further 6,000 approx - 9%) from my salary taking it to 54,000.

I am currently trying to negotiate a better deal and the latest feedback is that the sum offered is only for a temporary period of 3 months and will be reviewed again after this time. I am waiting for another firm to come back to me, so trying to hold out on making a definite descision yet.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Hi Sparticus

They are offering 60,00 less super so if I understand Super correctly, I loose a further 6,000 approx - 9%) from my salary taking it to 54,000.

I am currently trying to negotiate a better deal and the latest feedback is that the sum offered is only for a temporary period of 3 months and will be reviewed again after this time. I am waiting for another firm to come back to me, so trying to hold out on making a definite descision yet.
Yeah, about $55k plus the super. Not bad as a starter, gives you three months settling in and the all-important Australian experience under your belt. I know from another thread that you're feeling a bit ambivalent towards Brisbane after your recent reccie.

Last edited by spartacus; Sep 1st 2008 at 1:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.