Cars in Aus

Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:33 am
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars in Aus

Having a look at cars over here now and it seems that 2nd hand cars are high in price for what they are, like a 2001 astra is still A$14000 which is 7k in english money, it would only be worth 3k in england.

So is it worth getting 2nd hand or going straight to new?

can you get cheap 2nd hand cars from dealers?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars in Aus

Originally Posted by sssstew
it would only be worth 3k in england.
But it's not being sold in England.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Wages lower than UK but everything else more expensive than the UK except petrol. I also am shocked at the price of used cars think all cars are expensive due to high import taxes.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
Wages lower than UK but everything else more expensive than the UK except petrol. I also am shocked at the price of used cars think all cars are expensive due to high import taxes.
2nd hand cars are more expensive in OZ, well, some are, but new cars are slightly cheaper. As for lower wages it depends on what type of job you do, some are higher in OZ than here in the UK.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by philnorris
2nd hand cars are more expensive in OZ, well, some are, but new cars are slightly cheaper. As for lower wages it depends on what type of job you do, some are higher in OZ than here in the UK.
Thats certainly true. I work in the NHS as an Occupational Therapist and i have been offered a 75% pay increase. So as long as my oh gets a job we should be much better off!!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:53 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1989 Mazda 323 cost me $3400 had 150K on the clock.......not a spot of rust...perfect condition
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Second hand cars are grossly over priced here in Australia, and to cap it all, you will pay stamp duty on the purchase. As most states have no or a pathetically poor annual inspection, you could be paying a lot of money for a heap of shite that should have been removed from the roads years ago.

Barney
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

The Shandley Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by POW148
Second hand cars are grossly over priced here in Australia, and to cap it all, you will pay stamp duty on the purchase. As most states have no or a pathetically poor annual inspection, you could be paying a lot of money for a heap of shite that should have been removed from the roads years ago.

Barney
Second hand cars are overpriced over here but it also costs loads of money and loads of hassle to import your car here. the cars here dont rust as quickly as back home though and they do seem to have themn serviced every 6 months. I work for Mandurah Toyota and every second hand car is fully inspected ( I used to be an MOT Tester) and serviced accordingly. We have also just had our Holden Commodore 'Calais' converted to LPG with a government rebate of $3000!! 60c a litre thank you!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Having a look at cars over here now and it seems that 2nd hand cars are high in price for what they are, like a 2001 astra is still A$14000 which is 7k in english money, it would only be worth 3k in england.

Yep, 2nd hand sure are over priced. So it's a good excuse to buy "Brand New"
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Check out the local auction to see if they sell ex-government vehicles. These are normally fully serviced and some have the balance of makers warranty (if less than 3 yr old). Last week a 2007 manual Forester X with 30k was for sale at a fixed price of $22k, not sure what it sold for at auction but I know two people who've bought cars at auction without any problems and probably saved themselves a couple of grand.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Check out the local auction to see if they sell ex-government vehicles. These are normally fully serviced and some have the balance of makers warranty (if less than 3 yr old). Last week a 2007 manual Forester X with 30k was for sale at a fixed price of $22k, not sure what it sold for at auction but I know two people who've bought cars at auction without any problems and probably saved themselves a couple of grand.
You also get some right dogs as well, ok if you get THE one that has had 1 carefull user ie health worker or calm worker, watch out for ex Police or Armed forces vehicles most are driven like they were stolen I know

John
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Shandley Family
Second hand cars are overpriced over here but it also costs loads of money and loads of hassle to import your car here. the cars here dont rust as quickly as back home though and they do seem to have themn serviced every 6 months. I work for Mandurah Toyota and every second hand car is fully inspected ( I used to be an MOT Tester) and serviced accordingly. We have also just had our Holden Commodore 'Calais' converted to LPG with a government rebate of $3000!! 60c a litre thank you!
Must be different here in SA, for starters, gas is closer to 70c a litre (sometimes a c or 2 under, sometimes over) and nobody I know gets their car serviced every 6 months (doesn't sound like most even manage once a year)!

Cars do seem to have far less rust.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Yep, crazy prices.

Same goes for motorbikes. I saw a 1991 Yamaha on a forum the other day for around $4000, which is insane. I sold my 2002 Yamaha in the UK for £1500.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Hello , dont know if this helps any but ...

OH just got a brand new hyundai hi load - we got it on finance because he has got his own carpentry business and the tax breaks are much better
he also got to claim GST back on it
we paid $15,000 for his ute when we first got here 2nd hand
and we got nothing back for it - well we got $3,500 part ex.

We recon 2nd hand cars here are expensive ............

hope it makes sence
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:36 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep looking as you can do better than that. I got a much better car for less than that (twice). Look at private sales too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.