Carbon tax

Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carbon tax

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I'm no real fan of Gillard but Abbott has about as much common sense as a labotomised monkey
Seriously? Abbott was a long-time minister in a very competent and successful government.

Please explain.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Seriously? Abbott was a long-time minister in a very competent and successful government.

Please explain.
A deluded populist whose only political tactics are pandering to outdated ideals and ramping up hysteria through fear and ignorance. I wouldn't trust him to run a laundrette let alone a government.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:56 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Follows on from the metaphor of Australian politicians not being adult or competent and applying it to the maturity of the Australian public on the issue.
I don't get it. Aus pollies are are mature/immature as those from other countries. I find it odd when people suggest that Aus somehow isn't a grown up country. The current choices for PM are uninspiring but this isn't something peculiar to Aus.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no fan of him, but Abbott is always underestimated by his opposition - whichever way you look at it, he was very close to becoming PM last year. This time he does not have to do much to get - just opposing the government will do it. At least 2 of the independent seats are going to go to the coalition, so all he has to do is win a couple of labor seats (a given really) and he's in.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:03 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Under what conditions can that happen, is there provision? That said I don’t think it will, Julias luck is to have Abbott in opposition.
Incumbent governments can call an election pretty much when they like, up to the 3 year limit (which can be a little longer than 3 years as it's 3 years from when they 1st sit rather than the election itself). The GG can also force one but would have to have a good reason to do so to avoid losing office themselves. The opposition could only really call it if they obtained a majority in a censure vote in the lower house.

The sad reality is that we are likely to have mediocre government until probably 2016.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm no fan of him, but Abbott is always underestimated by his opposition - whichever way you look at it, he was very close to becoming PM last year. This time he does not have to do much to get - just opposing the government will do it. At least 2 of the independent seats are going to go to the coalition, so all he has to do is win a couple of labor seats (a given really) and he's in.
I'm no fan of him either but Australia cannot be taken seriously when you pop that hideous ginger thing, with that horrific accent on the world stage.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:13 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm no fan of him either but Australia cannot be taken seriously when you pop that hideous ginger thing, with that horrific accent on the world stage.
Indeed. However if I remember correctly the general opinion of those who voted for her from the debate on here at the time when I made precisely that point was that the Accent is only 'visible' to Australians and on the world stage the sound of her voice would be lost amongst the different dialects and accents.... So ... Just to resolve the fact she's a (fake) ginger ugly arrogant no-tail and we're good to go....

Can you believe she dies her hair that color to "Stand out" .

They are gone at next election - that is a certainty. Oakenshott and all those muppets are gonners, especially oakenshott. What a knob of the highest order with his harry potter trilogy length speech during the election.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, you have to remember that Australia is absolutely desperate to be 'big' on the world stage and it wont happen while we have that women at the helm.

Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I agree. I shudder to think what on earth the rest of the world must think Australians are like if this is who we have elected to represent us.

I never thought I'd ever say this but... her tone of voice and speaking - in - that - pat-ron-is-ing - tone - of - voice, is even less bearable than Tony "hand to mouth, swallowing to hold back voice breaking with emotion, looks to camera, blinks away crocodile tears" Blair. He was a feckless media whore too.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:16 am
Rhino with a big horn!

BTW, if the carbon tax is such an amazingly GREAT idea, why is the rest of the world NOT doing it? On the one hand you denigrate Australian politicians as sub-standard, then you claim the carbon tax is a fantastic idea (as long as it's ramped up, which will happen don't you worry about that)
Who says they're not doing it. A rose by any other name would be just as prickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_Change_Levy

Last edited by Rambi; Jul 11th 2011 at 8:18 am.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
speaking - in - that - pat-ron-is-ing - tone - of - voice
Sorry, spoy-king - in - thet - towwne - ov - voyce
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

According to Gllard and Co Australia and Australians have no right to cheap energy, we have to use ridicously and inefficent renewable energy while we export our coal to developing countries to use cheaply while polluting OUR atmosphere.... please someone on the ALP side DEFECT, DEFECT!
It's like passive smoking. They tax fags but you still have to breath in inconsiderate smokers toxic breath.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Julia should have launched the carbon tax in Brisbane. She could have done a TV interview in King George square next to the outdoor ice rink in a subtropical city. (I shit you not) last time I looked they were building igloos out of the empty 100 gallon red diesel drums they were using (10 a day at the last count) to power the two enormous generators and still the ice wouldn't freeze! Curse you tropical winter sun.

Seriously WTF! We've just had Earth Hour or whatever it's called, and now an outdoor ice rink in the tropics. How did that ever get past any planning committee without someone from the Department Of The Bleeding Obvious pointing out the bleeding obvious.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:37 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Carbon tax

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is she going to tax the largest producers of co2 on the planet? These pesky volcanoes that keep erupting? Just asking.....
Gas studies at volcanoes worldwide have helped volcanologists tally up a global volcanic CO2 budget in the same way that nations around the globe have cooperated to determine how much CO2 is released by human activity through the burning of fossil fuels. Our studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.

...a visit to the U.S. Department of Energy's Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC) website (http://cdiac.ornl.gov/) helps anyone armed with a handheld calculator and a high school chemistry text put the volcanic CO2 tally into perspective. Because while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value.
Link: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html

I think the chief points of skepticism on carbon dioxide as a driver include, but are not limited to:
  • Carbon Dioxide lags temperature suggesting it isn't a driver but an effect of changes in global temperature.
  • There does appear to be some evidence that solar activity could drive global temperature.
  • Some temperature records don't indicate a rise in temperatures at all, some even indicate a decline!
  • While the theory of absorbing radiation works nicely in a laboratory the atmosphere is a much more complex system, beyond the ability of our most sophisticated computers to model. Indeed there isn’t yet an accurate way to model this system.
  • The scientific process is being corrupted by research grants being allocated to universities, research institutes and scientists willing to keep the line about the relationship between carbon dioxide and changes in global temperature. People cite incidents like ClimateGate leaked e-mail saga where scientists had corrupted data sets to produce results that supported their preconceptions about what the results should look like. Even when these revelations came to light no one was fired, there was no move towards transparency or a better peer review process and largely the organizations relying on the integrity of the data were willing to the overlook the incident.
  • Global warming, even if real, will have a negligible or positive effect overall for humanity.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
Julia should have launched the carbon tax in Brisbane. She could have done a TV interview in King George square next to the outdoor ice rink in a subtropical city. (I shit you not) last time I looked they were building igloos out of the empty 100 gallon red diesel drums they were using (10 a day at the last count) to power the two enormous generators and still the ice wouldn't freeze! Curse you tropical winter sun.

Seriously WTF! We've just had Earth Hour or whatever it's called, and now an outdoor ice rink in the tropics. How did that ever get past any planning committee without someone from the Department Of The Bleeding Obvious pointing out the bleeding obvious.
Indeed so, a White Christmas in a White Elephant (the redeveloped and destroyed Melanoma Square).

And it was crap and expensive, according to those I have met who went.

But hey, no dump and burn this year, it really is Brisgreen (I'm trademarking that ...).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.