Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Shipping - Roll On Roll Off Service

Car Shipping - Roll On Roll Off Service

Old Jun 19th 2013, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

cromergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Shipping - Roll On Roll Off Service

Does anyone have any experience of using a roll on/roll off service to ship a car back to Australia (Perth).

I have just been speaking to a shipping company and they have mentioned this option.

If anyone has any experience of this and can recommend a company and give me some information and possible idea of costs that would be great.

Thanks.

C
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Shipping - Roll On Roll Off Service

We used...

Freephone 08003890784 Tel +44(0) 117 982 8123 Online at www.autoshippers.co.uk
  • A No Deposit Booking System: Pay nothing when you book your shipment.
  • Secure Shipping: Your vehicle will be shipped on a safe and secure Roll on Roll off service secured safely inside the vessel in a clean and dry car deck, we only use the world’s most reputable shipping lines.
  • Approved Lloyds of London Insurance
  • Peace of Mind: As fully accredited members of the British International Freight Association (BIFA), you know that you are dealing with a recognized, reliable shipping company.
Shipping from UK Port of:
Southampton
To the Overseas port of:
Brisbane

Port to Port Price

£ 1019.00
UK Export Documentation fee
£ 34.00

Total :

£ 1053.00
Frequency of sailings
Every 14 Days
On Water Transit Time (approx)
45 Days

The also provided all the contact info to have it inspected, road worthied and registered this end. I then fetched at all ready to drive.

It was a Hyundai Tucson SUV in 2010. Don't get it steam cleaned there because they'll do it here again and charge you again.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 19th 2013 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

i've asked for a 'quick quote' i'll post my reply
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goingau
i've asked for a 'quick quote' i'll post my reply
Cool. It will be interesting to see how much it may have gone up in 3 years.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

Your Roll on Roll off Vehicle Shipping Quotation
Moving to Australia
Shipment date May 2014

From the UK port of: Southampton

To the Overseas Port of: Brisbane

Port to Port Price £ 1063.00

UK Export Documentation fee £ 34.00

Total price per vehicle £ 1097.00

Frequency of sailings Every 14 Days

On Water Transit time 42 Days
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your Roll on Roll off Vehicle Shipping Quotation
Moving to Australia
Shipment date May 2014

From the UK port of: Southampton

To the Overseas Port of: Brisbane

Port to Port Price £ 1063.00

UK Export Documentation fee £ 34.00

Total price per vehicle £ 1097.00

Frequency of sailings Every 14 Days

On Water Transit time 42 Days

Not so bad then. Should be worthwhile.

The real costs once landed will be inspection, RW and Rego etc...
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

The real costs once landed will be inspection, RW and Rego etc...
can you give an idea of these. import wise my car would be 5%+10% how does RW and Rego pricing work
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Id also like to know ballpark costs for those 3 things. The shipping itself sounds very reasonable.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, just dug out the costs we actually paid:

F3 FREIGHT PORT OF SOUTHAMPTON TO PORT OF BRISBANE ONLY £1,281.00

DOCS EXPORT PAPERWORK CHARGES £34.00

STEAM CLEAN... STEAM CLEANING OF VEHICLE £65.00 (don't do this)

INC2 SUPER COVER VEHICLE INSURANCE TO PORT. VEHICLE VALUE

£11000.00 AT 2.50% (this was totally a rip off, but hey) £275.00

IPT INSURANCE PREMIUM TAX AT 5% £13.75

CREDIT CARD ... CREDIT CARD SERVICE CHARGE @ 2% £33.38

Total = £1702.13

Landing costs. It came out to $15 cheaper than this and I got a refund.

The cost to landthe vehicle by RO/RO is as follows:

Port/Statutorycharges $335
AQISfees $229 Exempt GST
Customs/DEWR/AQISClearance $445
Steamclean $345 if necessary (it is always done)
Local Valuation $325 if required
Delivery ex wharf tomechanic $230

Please add 10% GST to the above.

On my calculations you would pay around A$1600 Duty/GST based on a local valuation.

Then it went to the mechanical workshop for compliance and roadworthy and rego.

I'll have to find these as I don't have them on email.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Thanks Alfresco.

It's a tough one. I am a new driver and have bought a 2nd hand golf here for £6k. We are thinking about moving back to Oz at christmas time and would like to take it with me. Sounds like a lot for a 6k car but on the other hand I'm sure getting an equivalent golf in Oz would cost a lot more than 6k in pounds. Hmmm.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by big_matt
Thanks Alfresco.

It's a tough one. I am a new driver and have bought a 2nd hand golf here for £6k. We are thinking about moving back to Oz at christmas time and would like to take it with me. Sounds like a lot for a 6k car but on the other hand I'm sure getting an equivalent golf in Oz would cost a lot more than 6k in pounds. Hmmm.
Yeah, probably not worth it in that case and too much waiting etc...

Anyway look up what a replacement in Oz would cost you to get an idea...

http://www.carsales.com.au/
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yeah, probably not worth it in that case and too much waiting etc...

Anyway look up what a replacement in Oz would cost you to get an idea...

http://www.carsales.com.au/
Looks like my car with similar mileage would cost significantly more in Oz. Maybe $15k for a golf I bought for £6k here. So at current exchange rates mine cost about $10k.

I suppose if it's going to cost me about £3k all up to ship it it may not be worth it as I'd basically be breaking even. Hmmm.....
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by big_matt
Looks like my car with similar mileage would cost significantly more in Oz. Maybe $15k for a golf I bought for £6k here. So at current exchange rates mine cost about $10k.

I suppose if it's going to cost me about £3k all up to ship it it may not be worth it as I'd basically be breaking even. Hmmm.....

Yep indeed. I would think it may cost a bit more than that to ship it, all up. Probably not worth it.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

in my case, my cars worth at most £4k in austraila its $9k so on the face of it not worth it.
except we've owned it for years so know the history and to us it owes nothing.
so in my mind it will just be shipping and tax.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

in my case, my cars worth at most £4k in austraila its $9k so on the face of it not worth it.
except we've owned it for years so know the history and to us it owes nothing.
so in my mind it will just be shipping and tax.
Yeah, maybe, as you say you know the history etc...

Ours was worth GBP 5000 in the UK but $22 000 for the equivalent with the same mileage etc... so was worth shipping it over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.