Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Rego - Finding Owner

Car Rego - Finding Owner

Old Aug 13th 2014, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Rego - Finding Owner

I left Perth in June 2013 and went back to the UK, selling my car which had my private rego on it. This resembled the one I had in the UK and which I got 11 years ago as a birthday present.

Now I'm back living in Perth I'd really like to be able to buy the rego back. I know the address of the guy who bought the car and pass the house on my way to work each day but the car is never there and I don't want to just randomly knock on the door.

Is there any way I can check this is still the owners house? I'm willing to even pay for the reg, again!
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Rego - Finding Owner

Originally Posted by Kenzi
I left Perth in June 2013 and went back to the UK, selling my car which had my private rego on it. This resembled the one I had in the UK and which I got 11 years ago as a birthday present.

Now I'm back living in Perth I'd really like to be able to buy the rego back. I know the address of the guy who bought the car and pass the house on my way to work each day but the car is never there and I don't want to just randomly knock on the door.

Is there any way I can check this is still the owners house? I'm willing to even pay for the reg, again!
I think you're best either leaving a letter in their letter box, or posting it to the address. Failing that, go in the early evening to see if there's someone there and just knock on the door (might be best to have someone else with you in that scenario) There are strict privacy laws in Australia so I don't think you're going to get a govt. institution to give you this kind of info.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

Is the Vehicle still on the road or have the plates been handed in? Why not try entering the Rego into the Licensing departments website. It will say if the number is available. Good Luck
Old Aug 14th 2014, 1:51 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace
Is the Vehicle still on the road or have the plates been handed in? Why not try entering the Rego into the Licensing departments website. It will say if the number is available. Good Luck
Don't you have to pay extra each year for a personal rego? If so, I doubt that the purchaser did that (unless the plates were appropriate to them too) so the plate is probably available.

Unless someone else has bought it
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenzi

Question is, was the correct paperwork completed and submitted to WA Department of Transport within the 14 day period after the sale?

Sell or transfer plates

If not, WA Dept Tpt may have demanded their return and then put back for someone else to choose. You probably would have been better, in hindsight, not to sell the rights to the plates with the car and retained them.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 14th 2014 at 10:12 am.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

The plates were assigned to the car which I sold so the owner became the official owner. Unfortunately, I did not think I would return to Australia which is why I sold them with the car.

I've just checked the licence on it and its licensed until November 2014 so def not available
Old Aug 25th 2014, 1:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Don't you have to pay extra each year for a personal rego? If so, I doubt that the purchaser did that (unless the plates were appropriate to them too) so the plate is probably available.
You don't in QLD. One off payment for the plates and then a change of plates fee.