Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car insurance recommendation ?

Car insurance recommendation ?

Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Default Car insurance recommendation ?

We've just bought a new car for the 2 kids to share and I need to get comprehensive insurance for it.....can anyone recommend a good insurance company? I've got some quotes online for various ones so have a rough idea what it's going to cost us but, when I've looked at some of the review sites a lot of the ones I've looked at have had some really bad reviews:-((. Many of the cheaper ones such as Coles, Real etc are a good price but don't score very well on service after an accident....
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance recommendation ?

We've had 3 claims out of Bingle and they've handled them all well.

BB
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

SGIO, they are not the cheapest but my Mrs crashes the car at least once a year (sometimes twice) and they have always paid out.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

AAMI
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Go to one of those companies like ISelect who will take your details and give you the best deal - can't think of all the names off the top of my head, just Google "compare car insurance".. you pay the same as if dealing direct with the insurer, the "comparison" company gets a kickback. Good for getting the best Electricity deal, phone deal etc.

edit: the way it works is that not all car insurance companies want the same customers. For example some want seniors whereas others don't want senile old buggers who run off the road but prefer working people. Some don't want working people because they prang their car on the way to work and would rather have stay at home seniors. Some won't touch young drivers, others love young drivers because they can milk them senseless.... trying to work it out for yourself can send you nutty.

edit edit: another good avenue is to get a quote from your bank. For example we have been with Commonwealth for ever and insure the car through Comminsure and got an excellent deal, most banks have their own insurance arm.

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Sep 14th 2013 at 3:48 am.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 5:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
SGIO, they are not the cheapest but my Mrs crashes the car at least once a year (sometimes twice) and they have always paid out.
Another vote for SGIO here - we recently ran a comparison cost with other insurers, including some specifically designed for over 55s, and the SGIO policy beat them all.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Go to one of those companies like ISelect who will take your details and give you the best deal - can't think of all the names off the top of my head, just Google "compare car insurance".. you pay the same as if dealing direct with the insurer, the "comparison" company gets a kickback. Good for getting the best Electricity deal, phone deal etc.

This approach really does not work in Australia for insurance policies, because the main players in the Australian insurance market do not participate in comparison websites.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
This approach really does not work in Australia for insurance policies, because the main players in the Australian insurance market do not participate in comparison websites.
True. You have to do the leg (web!) work yourself, and get quotes from each company's website. Also need to make sure that you're comparing like with like, eg same coverage for 'smaller' things such as windscreens, hire cars etc.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for all the info:-) I ended up choosing SGIO as they were very competitive and seem to get good reviews. Was going to go with them for my own new car but the dealer has given me a quote with Allianz that's $25 per month cheaper so will probably go with that.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bushy
Thanks everyone for all the info:-) I ended up choosing SGIO as they were very competitive and seem to get good reviews. Was going to go with them for my own new car but the dealer has given me a quote with Allianz that's $25 per month cheaper so will probably go with that.

Yep, swings and roundabouts. I'm with Allianz for house etc...

Good luck!