Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car hire excess...what's the score?

Car hire excess...what's the score?

Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light
Default Car hire excess...what's the score?

Looking to hire a car in Brisbane for a few weeks. Getting a bit confused regarding the whole excess side of things. I understand the excess can be up to $5500. Do the companies take a downpayment prior to hiring the car for this. Hope they're not looking for the full amount
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

nic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to allnic75 is a name known to all
Default Re: Car hire excess...what's the score?

it's worth thinking about an excess waiver policy with the likes of Questor. They usually cost about a couple of pounds per day and cover most damages.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nic75
it's worth thinking about an excess waiver policy with the likes of Questor. They usually cost about a couple of pounds per day and cover most damages.
Mr BS took out. A policy with Virgin last time we hired a car instead of taking the hire car companies own insurance with a big excess. But to the question, it is an excess, it is not a deposit..
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We have car hire excess covered by travel insurance when needed. Last year in Sydney I managed to get pranged by a taxi in a car park. I had to pay the excess up front to the car hire people (I think about $3000 or so!). I then claimed this back through the travel insurers who refunded it to me. The taxi driver tried to claim his damage back through the car hire company but it was rejected, apparently the taxi drivers are known for this and put in extortionate claims. We use tid (travel insurance direct), they always say you don't know how good an insurer is until you need to claim, well this was my first time putting a claim in and they dealt with it quickly and no issues.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Mr BS took out. A policy with Virgin last time we hired a car instead of taking the hire car companies own insurance with a big excess. But to the question, it is an excess, it is not a deposit..
thanks bs. So they don't take an upfront deposit through your debit card? How can they ensure you pay up if you get a ding?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pootle
We have car hire excess covered by travel insurance when needed. Last year in Sydney I managed to get pranged by a taxi in a car park. I had to pay the excess up front to the car hire people (I think about $3000 or so!). I then claimed this back through the travel insurers who refunded it to me. The taxi driver tried to claim his damage back through the car hire company but it was rejected, apparently the taxi drivers are known for this and put in extortionate claims. We use tid (travel insurance direct), they always say you don't know how good an insurer is until you need to claim, well this was my first time putting a claim in and they dealt with it quickly and no issues.
I have an annual policy through them too. It covers upto $4k of rental vehicle excess for domestic and international car hire.

$5.5k sounds very high for an ordinary car rental...is it prestige or something similar?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
thanks bs. So they don't take an upfront deposit through your debit card? How can they ensure you pay up if you get a ding?

I think you will find that they won't accept a debit card for a hire. It will have to be a credit card that they can pre authorise the excess on.

This has come up before - People with debit cards (and cash) being declined hire services.

S
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:46 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I think you will find that they won't accept a debit card for a hire. It will have to be a credit card that they can pre authorise the excess on.

This has come up before - People with debit cards (and cash) being declined hire services.

S
I only have a debit card - I've never had a problem hiring cars. There may be an issue with eftpos cards though.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 4:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I only have a debit card - I've never had a problem hiring cars. There may be an issue with eftpos cards though.

When was the last time you tried? I will refer you to this thread for your delectation...

S
Old Sep 26th 2013, 5:19 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

When was the last time you tried? I will refer you to this thread for your delectation...

S
Last time was probably a couple of years ago.

That thread was 2008 - at around the same time I was merrily hiring cars on my debit card. I haven't had a credit card since 2007.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 5:21 am
has lost The Game

Last time was probably a couple of years ago.

That thread was 2008 - at around the same time I was merrily hiring cars on my debit card. I haven't had a credit card since 2007.

I've heard many reports of debit cards being declined for car hire - there are many more threads than that, so you should at least be aware of the possibility for the future.

S
Old Sep 26th 2013, 5:27 am
Officially Bewildered

I've heard many reports of debit cards being declined for car hire - there are many more threads than that, so you should at least be aware of the possibility for the future.

S
Ay thank you for your concern
Old Sep 26th 2013, 5:28 am
has lost The Game

Ay thank you for your concern

Well, I'd hate for you to be stranded somewhere having planned to hire a car, particularly overseas.

S
Old Sep 26th 2013, 5:46 am
Officially Bewildered

Well, I'd hate for you to be stranded somewhere having planned to hire a car, particularly overseas.

S
Overseas, we've always found the debit card to go through the mastercard system (or visa, as we had a visa debit card in the UK) so it's never been an issue no matter where we've been. Perhaps we've just been lucky.

(It'd be a relief to go somewhere and have a legitimate reason not to drive, she says, as the permanent bleeding driver in the household!)

The biggest issues we had were when we first arrived in Australia and debit cards weren't regularly used - some systems would accept our UK one, others pitched a fit. Ironically, Hertz had no issue letting us have a three week hire on it.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

S
So by pre authorising do you mean that if I have a credit card with a limit less than what the excess amount is, they won't hire to me?