Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car: Hire or Buy?

Car: Hire or Buy?

Old Nov 5th 2014, 12:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car: Hire or Buy?

Have a look at Carsales. Buy (say) a 2yo Ford Focus for between $15k-$20k (depending on model) and sell it a year later for around $3k less than you paid for it. It is still covered by the factory warranty so your only other expenses will be insurance, registration, standard servicing and fuel.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Renting a small budget car will be around $350 a week with insurance, so far cheaper to buy a car and sell it when you leave. A new Korean shopping hatchback will be cheaper to buy than rent over a year. You will pick up a reliable used car for way less.
Renting a car from Sixt at Melbourne Airport (a Nissan Almera / Kia Rio depending on what is available on the day) for $193 per week. Not sure who you are using for $350 pw but I gues you get a lot of FF points etc (and the hire firm charges you for the privilege). I think it would be even cheaper if I took out a longer term lease ie 30 days plus.

I found a similar story in the UK where I took out an extended hire with Europcar (4 months) for a Focus. It came down to GBP 8 pd fully inclusive. So deals are possible.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icecube
Renting a car from Sixt at Melbourne Airport (a Nissan Almera / Kia Rio depending on what is available on the day) for $193 per week. Not sure who you are using for $350 pw but I gues you get a lot of FF points etc (and the hire firm charges you for the privilege). I think it would be even cheaper if I took out a longer term lease ie 30 days plus.

I found a similar story in the UK where I took out an extended hire with Europcar (4 months) for a Focus. It came down to GBP 8 pd fully inclusive. So deals are possible.
I just looked at www.sixt.com

I checked long term from Sydney and got this:
Hyundai i20 - $7,126.30 for 3 months, with $330 Excess (same cost as Nissan Almera)

That works out at: $78.31 per day or $548 pw

It can be a lot cheaper, but without the Excess Insurance, and you then run the risk of a $3,300 excess.
That came to $5,041 for 3 months, or $388 per week.

The cheapest I saw from Melbourne was the Nissan Micra at $244.92 for 1 week with a $3,300 excess or $473.84 with insurance ($330 excess)
An extra $230 per week for excess insurance is high.

Your $193 for a week is an excellent quote, but what is the excess, and any other restrictions ?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
Your $193 for a week is an excellent quote, but what is the excess, and any other restrictions ?
In my experience advertised price and quote are at least a third apart. I have yet to ever rent a car at the advertised price in any country. I know I already said this but it just annoys me so much.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
In my experience advertised price and quote are at least a third apart. I have yet to ever rent a car at the advertised price in any country. I know I already said this but it just annoys me so much.
I've used Bayswater Car Rental before, and the price you pay has been what they say. But then again, I only look at final prices, never the advertising, which is always before insurances, booking fees, etc.

I guess then that the $193 pw is just an advertised price ??
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCD......

I checked long term from Sydney and got this:
Hyundai i20 - $7,126.30 for 3 months, with $330 Excess (same cost as Nissan Almera)

That works out at: $78.31 per day or $548 pw

It can be a lot cheaper, but without the Excess Insurance, and you then run the risk of a $3,300 excess.
That came to $5,041 for 3 months, or $388 per week.

The cheapest I saw from Melbourne was the Nissan Micra at $244.92 for 1 week with a $3,300 excess or $473.84 with insurance ($330 excess)
An extra $230 per week for excess insurance is high.

The Micra I noticed was about $160 pw. The Nissan Almera was better value as a bigger vehicle for not too much more $'s.

Excess for the Almera was $3K with no mileage restrictions. I take out independent insurance to reduce my excess for a year. I think that is a few hundred $'s. Yes renting can be a good option
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Price quoted was from the final invoice (including a % for credit card fees).
Old Nov 20th 2014, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Two examples of actual car hire costs:

Small car, Weekly rate.

Sydney: Bayswater Car Hire: $259 Toyota Corolla with $400 excess, unlimited mileage in NSW.
Sydney: Bayswater Car Hire: $408 Toyota Corolla with NO excess, unlimited mileage in NSW, Victoria and SE Queensland.

Gold Coast: Broadbeach Car rentals: $351 Kia Rio with $550 excess, 150km per day Gold Coast Area, Excess kms are charged at 25c per km.
Gold Coast: Broadbeach Car rentals: $295 Kia Rio with $2,500 excess, 150km per day Gold Coast Area, Excess kms are charged at 25c per km.

Prices, and terms, do vary a lot...
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy something cheap, most modern cars are reliable so maintenance costs should be minimal over a 12 month period.