Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car help needed please

Car help needed please

Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:39 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Question Car help needed please

Please can you tell me if any of the following are necessary when buying a new car:

Fabric protection
Paint Protection
Rust Protection

The above would be done by the dealer and not at the manufacturing stage.

Any views or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Gillian
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:47 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car help needed please

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Please can you tell me if any of the following are necessary when buying a new car:

Fabric protection
Paint Protection
Rust Protection

Thanks,
Gillian
No, no and maybe.

For fabric protection you could pay your dealership $1,000,000.23 or you could just do what they do anyway and go and buy 2 cans of scotch guard and empty them into your car upholstery. $30.

Paint protection. Not worth it really. Are you really going to keep your car out in the sun for several years ?

Rust protection. Possibly if you have a 4WD or intend to go onto beaches etc etc or keep your car for several years.

I personally get rid of my cars before any of those worries really come up years down the line and those optional extras are worth nothing at all in resale.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Rust protection. Possibly if you have a 4WD or intend to go onto beaches etc etc or keep your car for several years.
We bought a brand new landcruiser a few years ago and paid for rustproofing. Took it to Northern NSW on the beach a couple of times before discovering it had never actually been rustproofed. The dealership made some excuse about overlooking the rustproofing we'd paid for, and offered to do it. Husband made them pay for an independent assessor in to look it to see no damage had been done before they eventually did the rustproofing for us.

My advice is that if you pay for these extra's, make sure they're actually done.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:07 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Centurion. DON'T let the dealer scare you in to getting these things done !!!

You can do these things yourself just as well, or if you don't want to, you can get them done at most decent car wash cafes.

Also watch out for the dealer warranties that they and make you take out. Basically, don't take anything extra from them.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road

Fabric protection
Paint Protection
Rust Protection

Thanks,
Gillian
Don't do it, Gillian.
It is a common scam and is almost always 'forced' on you after you sign up for your car, new or used.
Car dealers make most of their profit by doing this.
I seem to remember this subject has been discussed on here before but could not find it.
Cheers,
Dennis
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:22 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - and remember you can probably get your car windows tinted for a lot less elsewhere since all the dealer does is drive your car to the same place that you would probably end up going.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:35 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Thanks guys,

I knew you would be able to give me sensible information. Where will I be able to buy the cans of Scotch Guard? Would I be able to use this on my sofa as well?

Gillian
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:37 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys,

I knew you would be able to give me sensible information. Where will I be able to buy the cans of Scotch Guard? Would I be able to use this on my sofa as well?

Gillian
Car shop, Kmart, Coles etc etc
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:16 am
The Brains

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Car shop, Kmart, Coles etc etc
Great thanks.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:13 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Definitely DON'T get dealership to do it.

Bought a Toyota Corrola from a Toyota dealership in Perth. They then asked if we wanted a car alarm, rust proofing and window tinting done. Declined all three initially. Then the salesman said 'I've got a job lot of company cars that are having their windows tinted. I'll do do a special deal' I still said no. Then he said 'I'll knock off $200'. Well the weather was hot and I've got 2 young children so I succumbed. It cost $600. A few days later there was a small bubble so I phoned to get it fixed. The dealership passed me on the company that had done 'Tint-A-Car' and I took it in to get it done. No problem there but while there I asked how much cost to tint the car. He said I really shouldn't tell you but the normal price is $300. SO the dealership got $300 profit from me and that was after knocking off $200. So be WARNED !!!!

Also whilst buying a car HAGGLE over the price. The salesman said you can't do that. The price definitely won't come down. But I said yes it will and offered less than the aking price. I then had to sign a form and it was taken to the head guy (who I wasn't allowed to see or haggle with) who would decide whether to accept my offer. By signing the form I was legally obliged to pay if the head guy said yes. As happened the head guy did say yes ... so don't offer the advertised price. Always offer less !!

Also all new cars and thereby recent second hand cars are fitted with imobilsers so no need for an alarm !!

Last edited by BAY; Jul 13th 2008 at 6:16 am.