Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra and WA want Immigration while Gillard plays politics

Canberra and WA want Immigration while Gillard plays politics

Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:26 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough
Default Canberra and WA want Immigration while Gillard plays politics

Leaders at odds on growth. The ACT must populate or stagnate, according to Chief Minister Jon Stanhope who has signalled his opposition to any attempt to cut skilled migration to Australia.

Immigration policies expected to change as high-growth target goes. SUSTAINABLE Population Minister Tony Burke says the government will adjust immigration policies so populated regions are not stretched. But the policies would ensure skills shortages were filled.

Playing politics on population. JULIA Gillard’s rejection of Kevin Rudd’s “Big Australia” goes dangerously close to cornering her into a low-growth economy. The momentum from the strongest population growth since the 1960s was one of the chief reasons Australia sailed through the global financial crisis.

West desperate for workers, say business. WESTERN Australia’s peak business body has warned Julia Gillard the state is desperate for workers and migration has to increase. WA Chamber of Commerce & Industry chief executive James Pearson said unlike parts of the eastern states, where there were issues of overcrowding and congestion, West Australian employers needed workers.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra and WA want Immigration while Gillard plays politics

Huh, Stanhopeless wants more people but we dont have the infrastructure to support them. The real estate market in ACT is tighter than a drum and employment is too dependent upon the Federal public service. He's a dunce.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balkanghost
Leaders at odds on growth. The ACT must populate or stagnate, according to Chief Minister Jon Stanhope who has signalled his opposition to any attempt to cut skilled migration to Australia.

Immigration policies expected to change as high-growth target goes. SUSTAINABLE Population Minister Tony Burke says the government will adjust immigration policies so populated regions are not stretched. But the policies would ensure skills shortages were filled.

Playing politics on population. JULIA Gillard’s rejection of Kevin Rudd’s “Big Australia” goes dangerously close to cornering her into a low-growth economy. The momentum from the strongest population growth since the 1960s was one of the chief reasons Australia sailed through the global financial crisis.

West desperate for workers, say business. WESTERN Australia’s peak business body has warned Julia Gillard the state is desperate for workers and migration has to increase. WA Chamber of Commerce & Industry chief executive James Pearson said unlike parts of the eastern states, where there were issues of overcrowding and congestion, West Australian employers needed workers.

Typical and very symptomatic of the politics in the Oz land...

One minute they can't get enough of migrants, and get in anyone anyhow and the next they cry wolf on shortages in infrastructure and blame the migrants for daring to come over when the doors were open...

The way they get SKILLED ppl over, on 457, and more or less, with the emphasis on more!!!, they treat them with utter despicable manner, this country is lucky to have ppl with such a vast array of skills, from plumbers to project managers, who bolster local economy and bring over invaluable knowledge which they impart with too...

Someone should re-write 457 rules, specially the 28 days rules, the $4,500 school fees in NSW and the non mandatory of LAFHA is both an insult to the intelligence of 457ers and a serious burden to them.

I think there should be a proper vetting of ppl who are coming over and those who have applied to be PR, in terms of how much these ppl are going to really make positive impact on the country, and then allow them to have decent chance to make it here.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
Typical and very symptomatic of the politics in the Oz land...

One minute they can't get enough of migrants, and get in anyone anyhow and the next they cry wolf on shortages in infrastructure and blame the migrants for daring to come over when the doors were open...

Someone should re-write 457 rules, specially the 28 days rules, the $4,500 school fees in NSW and the non mandatory of LAFHA is both an insult to the intelligence of 457ers and a serious burden to them.
Interesting in that for a girl from the Valleys in Wales has issues with immigration!! Wonder of her parents have had their Visa status checked recently!~

As for public school fees in NSW, that is completely and utterly scandalous!! I wish the UK would do the same, only to Oz school kids, and then see how they bloody feel about it!! It wouldn't be so bad but that money does not even go to the schools who accepts Temp Visa kids!!!
(quick caveat, I am not targeting the kids here, just the Oz government).
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting in that for a girl from the Valleys in Wales has issues with immigration!!

That really baffles me, mate. She being of similar backgrounds to most of the ppl here, one would think that she will look favourably into the skilled force influx that is coming into the country and embrace this!!

I once heard someone say that you can take the girl out of the valley but you can't take the valley out of the girl!! Obviously, excepted Gillard!

What is so annoying is the double classification in my status:

1. Temporary Visa Holder == pay $4,500 for each schooled child
2. Resident for Tax Purposes == pay highest tax possible

This is the only country who can getaway with this!!

Oh, and they have a strange sense of humor!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Alucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really nice

It's clear that Gillard said that just to please the common mass.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

[B]

1. Temporary Visa Holder == pay $4,500 for each schooled child
2. Resident for Tax Purposes == pay highest tax possible

This is the only country who can getaway with this!!

Oh, and they have a strange sense of humor!
so how come you don't have Lafha then??? Or is this a long and painful story that I am going to regret asking about!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paddyo
so how come you don't have Lafha then??? Or is this a long and painful story that I am going to regret asking about!!

Yeah, you're right.

Trust me I have tried my best to get LAFHA, including paying an accountant to explain in layman's terms why such a thing won't cost the company anything bar admin fee (which I was willing to pay anyway!) and how such a thing enhances business prospects of hiring quality ppl here.

But the Aussie girl in charge would not have it!

I guess she is so comfortable in what she does, that she was scared of taking on some extra work!

And maybe the green eyed monster had a bit part to play too!

That's why I think LAFHA should be mandatory.

(I didn't get it even though I still have a property in UK!! )
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Yeah, you're right.

Trust me I have tried my best to get LAFHA, including paying an accountant to explain in layman's terms why such a thing won't cost the company anything bar admin fee (which I was willing to pay anyway!) and how such a thing enhances business prospects of hiring quality ppl here.

But the Aussie girl in charge would not have it!

I guess she is so comfortable in what she does, that she was scared of taking on some extra work!

And maybe the green eyed monster had a bit part to play too!

That's why I think LAFHA should be mandatory.

(I didn't get it even though I still have a property in UK!! )
Well, have you taken it further up the chain and explained that her reticence to resolve this important financial issue for you is causing you hardship?? Play it up a bit but also, ask her WHY? What does she find so bad that she can not/will not resolve it? As I said, if you present the facts and they still say no, then that is a cause for complaint of discrimination and malpractice.
If she is scraed to do it because she doesn't understanmd it, well that is common, but by providing all the info to her boss and asking him/her why not may move that stumbling block.
One other thing, it may seem a bit bullying, but front up to her again and if she still says no, in front of her call the ATO to enquire about it and state that your company's wages staff are inadequately trained to handle complex tax matters.!!
One thing that is guarenteed to fire me up is someone who says NO when they really should be honest and say DON't KNOW and I have to say this is extremely prevalent in Australia.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paddyo
Well, have you taken it further up the chain and explained that her reticence to resolve this important financial issue for you is causing you hardship?? Play it up a bit but also, ask her WHY? What does she find so bad that she can not/will not resolve it? As I said, if you present the facts and they still say no, then that is a cause for complaint of discrimination and malpractice.
If she is scraed to do it because she doesn't understanmd it, well that is common, but by providing all the info to her boss and asking him/her why not may move that stumbling block.
One other thing, it may seem a bit bullying, but front up to her again and if she still says no, in front of her call the ATO to enquire about it and state that your company's wages staff are inadequately trained to handle complex tax matters.!!
One thing that is guarenteed to fire me up is someone who says NO when they really should be honest and say DON't KNOW and I have to say this is extremely prevalent in Australia.

Maybe I should've called the ATO and shopped her to them (I still can!)as she is really against 457 ppl getting LAFHA (there are about 4 English, 1 Irish and some Malaysian who are like me on 457, and no-one I believe is getting it!).

In the end, she mentioned the fact that in my original discussion while I was in UK, I didn't ask for it so they cannot change the contract now!

However, I have been given the heave-ho last week, out of blue and instigated by this person as well as the manager, who is really a little conniving weasel and that's not just opinion!

The ppl who hired from England were away in SA watching the world cup!!

Now, I am just going thorough the motions, applied for jobs and seen George Lombard, the resident migration agent.

That's the long and short of it mate...Wish I could predict the future, but can't...

Probably why I have been ranting a lot lately... Oh, and the age thing too..

I don't believe it!!!