Canberra

Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canberra

Hi there ... not going to comment about living in Canberra as I've only visited when we've been on holiday (the war museum is stunning by the way) ... but just beware ... a vast amount of the ICT work in Canberra is Govt work (fairly obviously!) and some or maybe most Govt depts will not take you (even as a contractor) unless you are an Aussie Citizen ... the ATO are doing a massive amount of IT outsourcing just now and are desparate for outsourcing skills (which I've got in spades) but as I'm currently an Aussie Perm Resident, they won't look at me.

Good luck ... David
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Iv read a lot of posts with reference to, you wont get a Goverment job unless your an Australian Citizen.

This is not really a fair point, You will not get permanent employment if not a citizen, But you can get a goverment job on a temp visa, but it will be a fixed term contact ie 3 months or 2 years, If you got the skills they need.

If you are an PR and have the skills, you can sign an undertaking to take up Australian Citizenship as soon as you can apply and might be a case that you work a longer probation period in your job until you get Citizenship.

Goverment department's do work around helping people get employed who are not Citizens.

I have worked for ACT Gov on 3 months contact's when I was myself on temp Visa as they wanted to employ me and found a way to do it.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Canberra is a nice place to live (I've done it), but its reputation for dullness is not unfounded:

- You have a City Centre (Civic) that's essentially deserted at weekends,

- Everyone drives at or under the speed limit (everyone! - no big deal you may think, but it's "robotic" when you see it in action at busy times - the locals' excuse is the number of speed cameras, but I'm not convinced)

- Nearly everyone works for government departments (all IT work is directly or indirectly connected to Government Departments - and not being a citizen significantly limits the number of jobs you can go for - not having PR limits you even more)

- It can get extremely cold in winter

- The best and prettiest suburbs are close to the lake and city but are unaffordable for most arriving immigrants - who tend towards the northern and southern extremes of Belconnen and Tuggeranong (and at weekends most couldn't be bothered to go all the way to the City - hence it's desertion).

I'm not saying I wouldn't, but I'd think twice before living there again.

I would also dispute earlier comments about the "great" restaurants. There may be the odd good one, but hit-and-miss in terms of quality is being generous (though admittedly it's a lot cheaper than Sydney). Also, I would describe a lot of the "restaurants" as glorified cafes.

The average drive to Sydney is about 4 hours (allowing for 1 stop and traffic at the Sydney end), the drive to the South Coast (around Batemans Bay) about two and a half, but be aware that half of Canberra would be on the road with you at school holiday times, so traffic can be a nightmare. (The ACT's maximum speed of 62.5 mph doesn't help - there again, NSW's whopping 68.75 mph is no great shakes either.)

Other than that Canberra's great.

It takes me 2.5 hours to get to downtown Sydney and less than 2 hours to get to Batemans Bay on the coast from where I live in the inner north. It takes a bit under 3 hours to go skiing.

Canberra isn't extremely cold in winter compared to much of Europe and North America. Overnight minimums occasionally dip to -5 but daytime temperatures usually exceed 10. Snow is very rare, but not unheard of. The rest of the year the weather is generally excellent and usually better than Sydney.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

Hi pomref ... intersting point you've made ... I've gone for a copuple of contracts in Canberra with Govt bodies and it's the Agencies that I'm going thru who tell me they will only take Citizens ... might try a direct approach as it is certainly our intention to go for citizenship later this year

Cheers ... David
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Budawang;6110599]It takes me 2.5 hours to get to downtown Sydney and less than 2 hours to get to Batemans Bay on the coast from where I live in the inner north. It takes a bit under 3 hours to go skiing.

Well sticking to the speed limit and from North Belconnen - it takes me 1.40 minutes to get to Batemans Bay
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muffinoz
Hi pomref ... intersting point you've made ... I've gone for a copuple of contracts in Canberra with Govt bodies and it's the Agencies that I'm going thru who tell me they will only take Citizens ... might try a direct approach as it is certainly our intention to go for citizenship later this year

Cheers ... David
Local government are more bending than federal government
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's a while since Big Galah actually lived here The road to Sydney sure is a whole lot shorter than it used to be and with the exception of Easter weekend the coast is an easy couple of hours!!!

I do take issue with the restaurants - it is my life's mission to try as many of them as I can and there are some gems around here - not all in the city either! Going to try and get a table at the Boathouse for Friday, I have heard good things about it!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sasbear;6111269]
Originally Posted by Budawang
It takes me 2.5 hours to get to downtown Sydney and less than 2 hours to get to Batemans Bay on the coast from where I live in the inner north. It takes a bit under 3 hours to go skiing.

Well sticking to the speed limit and from North Belconnen - it takes me 1.40 minutes to get to Batemans Bay
Wow, 1 hour and 40 minutes from Belconnen - I'm in awe. Pity there isn't a smilie "Worship" symbol.

Coming back from BB on Monday afternoon was an absolute nightmare. Stop start from the bottom of Clyde Mountain. Switched the engine off several times. I'm going to write to my local member asking him why there isn't a bypass around Braidwood. I guess he can't do anything because it's a New South Wales issue.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Budawang;6113082]
Originally Posted by sasbear

Wow, 1 hour and 40 minutes from Belconnen - I'm in awe. Pity there isn't a smilie "Worship" symbol.

Coming back from BB on Monday afternoon was an absolute nightmare. Stop start from the bottom of Clyde Mountain. Switched the engine off several times. I'm going to write to my local member asking him why there isn't a bypass around Braidwood. I guess he can't do anything because it's a New South Wales issue.
LOL I was talking to a NSW cop today who said that people nowadays get so distressed by the traffic snarlups along the Kings Hwy that they have resorted to giving out bottles of water and other sustaining stuff!!!! Sheesh, anyone who has driven back from the coast on a long weekend knows that they are going to be in for a hard time. It has been thus pretty much ever since we got here!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice
Smile Re: Canberra

Hiya

We arrived in Canberra at the end of January and love being here - even though I do miss the UK and my family at times.

The things I love about Canberra are seeing hills wherever I look and drive, going out for BBQ's in parks and reserves and seeing kangaroos every day. There are so many trees and open spaces it truly is the "capital in the park". We have been to open air cinemas, watched fireworks over the lake and had some lovely meals out in Manuka and Phillip.

Things seem to have gone really smoothly for us so far. My OH and I both had one interview each and got the jobs, our son (who is 14) has settled into school really well and we have just bought our first house and should be moving in in around 4 weeks.

There is 101 things to do especially if you like the outdoors and nature. We are going to the coast this weekend as the Easter rush is now over on the coast roads - unfortunately you still get traffic jams at holiday times.

On the down side, weather is unreliable like the UK. One day it can be 28 degrees and the next it drops to 16 - which felt freezing! This morning it was only 6 degrees when I took the dogs over the playing fields but it is now 18 with clear blue skies. Cannot comment on the winter as we have only ever visited in the summer but have been told by many that it does get cold especially overnight.

Good luck in whatever you decide

Helen
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hel&Will
Hiya

We arrived in Canberra at the end of January and love being here - even though I do miss the UK and my family at times.

The things I love about Canberra are seeing hills wherever I look and drive, going out for BBQ's in parks and reserves and seeing kangaroos every day. There are so many trees and open spaces it truly is the "capital in the park". We have been to open air cinemas, watched fireworks over the lake and had some lovely meals out in Manuka and Phillip.

Things seem to have gone really smoothly for us so far. My OH and I both had one interview each and got the jobs, our son (who is 14) has settled into school really well and we have just bought our first house and should be moving in in around 4 weeks.

There is 101 things to do especially if you like the outdoors and nature. We are going to the coast this weekend as the Easter rush is now over on the coast roads - unfortunately you still get traffic jams at holiday times.

On the down side, weather is unreliable like the UK. One day it can be 28 degrees and the next it drops to 16 - which felt freezing! This morning it was only 6 degrees when I took the dogs over the playing fields but it is now 18 with clear blue skies. Cannot comment on the winter as we have only ever visited in the summer but have been told by many that it does get cold especially overnight.

Helen
Hey Helen,

Have you managed to meet up with any of the Canberra crew yet?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Jenine_Alan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Canberra

Does anyone know if Canberra is the main home of the RAN?

My hubby has applied and I wondered what the level of career prospects are for myself if this is where he will be posted?

HELP

Thanks

Jenine
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hiya

Helen
Welcome to the Nation's Capital. I'm sure you'll enjoy living here. The winter isn't that bad, except houses are often poorly insulated which makes them feel worse. If you've bought your own home, it's worth upgrading your insulation, particularly in the roof. There's a government programme where you pay $50 for an inspection and they recommend insulation improvements and you get a rebate of $500 if you follow their advice and the work exceeds $2000.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jenine_Alan
Does anyone know if Canberra is the main home of the RAN?

My hubby has applied and I wondered what the level of career prospects are for myself if this is where he will be posted?

HELP

Thanks

Jenine
Technically yes - this is where all the brass hangs out. The defence forces have their headquarters in the Russell offices. However we have no sea so there arent that many ships (we have a few very nice leisure lakes though!)

As for career prospects for you - it rather depends on what career you wish to follow but unemployment is at an all time low here at the moment so you shouldnt have too many problems. If you are a teacher, it can be hard to get into the system but once you are in it is OK and there are lots of opportunities in the non govt system anyway.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hiya

Helen
Glad to hear that you have settled in well Helen. One thing about the weather though is that no matter how hot/cold it is the sun will always be shining!!!! Even when the sun doesnt shine we are all happy because we really need the rain.

Winters can be cold but there is a huge temperature range - we have had -7C mornings but the days go up to about 10C - 12C. As Budawang said, insulation is your friend!!!!! We have a slow combustion stove (older weatherboard house) and in winter we are never cold because the stove heats the whole house. It is a bit chilly at the mo but we havent had the fire on since last winter. I just hope the possum has moved out of the chimney otherwise we will have smoke in the living room

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.