Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canadians headed to Australia

Canadians headed to Australia

Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:15 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canadians headed to Australia

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Possibly. There's a drive through coffee shop not far from us now but it takes ages to get through. Gotta love Horton's where you order and by the time you get the money out of your wallet the coffees are ready.
I don't suppose the appeal is quite the same here though. In Canada it's great though as you can stay in the car when it's -30. Although I guess in Australia you could stay in the car with the air con on while it's +35-40 degrees.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

So is it safe to say if the stars were all lined up that Brisbane would be a good starting point....
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alzo
So is it safe to say if the stars were all lined up that Brisbane would be a good starting point....
Sorry, we went a little off topic there. For some Brisbane is great for others Melbourne is better. Ya gotta go where you're going to be able to work.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be sure to have iced cap for you in the summer too. High fat but ssssoooooo worth the 5000 calories and 87 g of fat.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Quick, basic, inexpensive ($1.50 for small) coffee and quick, basic, inexpensive muffins ($1.50) and bagels. I don't want to do the half caff double shot latte's with a dash of cinnamon; just coffee. You want that black or with cream? Sugar or no?

Where we've just moved is 1/2 way between the proposed Mitchell Fwy extension and the n/s train line extension. They're building a light industrial area not far from us so we're looking to put our place in there. I would think it would be popular with the commuters getting on the freeway as well as the tradies.
Mcdonalds used to do a filter coffee for $1.50, black or white free refill basically it was the only thing we bought there, anyway they no longer do it, reckon there was no demand for them
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:31 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Mcdonalds used to do a filter coffee for $1.50, black or white free refill basically it was the only thing we bought there, anyway they no longer do it, reckon there was no demand for them
Maybe, although maybe it just didn't taste good? I have no idea.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Maybe, although maybe it just didn't taste good? I have no idea.
I heard the "new" McDonald's coffee was pretty good. Never tried it though.

I still think a drive thru is great for those times when the kids are asleep in the car seats and you just want some caffeine...I wonder why they aren't as popular here as in Canada.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
I heard the "new" McDonald's coffee was pretty good. Never tried it though.

I still think a drive thru is great for those times when the kids are asleep in the car seats and you just want some caffeine...I wonder why they aren't as popular here as in Canada.
If it's any help my Canadian SIL observed that fast food restaurants are better and way more popular in her part of Canada (Calgary) compared to individual restaurants/cafe's ruling in OZ.

When meeting her extended family here and over there they seemed to confirm what she said...they ate a lot at chain restaurants (timmys, mexican etc) and seemed to expect the same here and were disappointed. They didn't seem to understand that we mostly went to individual restaurants/cafe's when going for a meal and they were constantly looking for chains. Of course it could have just been them

They also seemed way more into drip filter coffee (similar to USA) which is not a very popular way to get your coffee in Australia. Personally I would never drive through to get that sort of drip filter coffee...(if that's what your talking about?)....I would for standard coffee shop style coffee though

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 5th 2009 at 7:31 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:17 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by fish.01
When meeting her extended family here and over there they seemed to confirm what she said...they ate a lot at chain restaurants (timmys, mexican etc) and seemed to expect the same here and were disappointed. They didn't seem to understand that we mostly went to individual restaurants/cafe's when going for a meal and they were constantly looking for chains. Of course it could have just been them
We were exactly the same when we first arrived. We would drive around looking for a place to eat and wouldn't have a clue as we didn't recognize any of the names. It was the same in every town as there were no chains, so trying to recognize where the restaurants were was difficult. It sounds weird but it was a big deal as we spent about a month in hotels along the east coast so it took a bit of time to adjust to. We ended up eating a McDonalds a lot because our kids are little and it was very recognizable.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
If it's any help my Canadian SIL observed that fast food restaurants are better and way more popular in her part of Canada (Calgary) compared to individual restaurants/cafe's ruling in OZ.

They also seemed way more into drip filter coffee (similar to USA) which is not a very popular way to get your coffee in Australia. Personally I would never drive through to get that sort of drip filter coffee...(if that's what your talking about?)....I would for standard coffee shop style coffee though
To each their own...the drip style is the most popular at home and what a lot of us are used to.

As for the chain restaurant thing, if I'm out with friends (i.e. a dinner without kids) then I prefer a individual style restaurant or cafe. Chains are good for families generally because you know what kind of food to expect, many cater to families, and the prices are usually cheaper...a bonus with kids.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
To each their own...the drip style is the most popular at home and what a lot of us are used to.

As for the chain restaurant thing, if I'm out with friends (i.e. a dinner without kids) then I prefer a individual style restaurant or cafe. Chains are good for families generally because you know what kind of food to expect, many cater to families, and the prices are usually cheaper...a bonus with kids.
I agree, each to their own, as long as I don't have to drink it I mentioned it due to discussion querying whether cheap quick drip filter style coffee is/should be sold here.....I don't think it would go that well here. Could be wrong but I doubt it would work. Seems to work a treat in Canada though. Every kitchen bench has one

I think people do use chains with kids here too....but luckily there are quite a few good restaurants that are child friendly so nice to use them as well. Surprisingly quite a few are not dearer then the chains when you add everything up. Some are even cheaper.

The only thing that kills me with some chains here is the noise. Sizzler is just so bloody noisy and everyone on your table is always getting up to get something so I find you barely talk until you have a coffee 5 minutes before leaving. I think even McDonalds is more sociable.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:07 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Adjusting from -40c degrees to +40c degrees weather would'nt be easy.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mohogony
Adjusting from -40c degrees to +40c degrees weather would'nt be easy.
Another reason why it's better to time your move in spring or fall and give yourself time to get used to the new climate. I wouldn't move from Canada to Australia in January or February for instance.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

Ok maybe time to switch the topic around to '

what do you'll miss about canada'. I know I'll miss my timmy's coffee
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Tamara1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a read of www.immi.gov.au for visas. Particularly booklet 6, which is for state sponsored skilled visas.

I work in cardiology, so don't know what the demand for lab techs might be. I do know that I would like them to hire another secretary in our department, though.
Thank you for your reply Dorothy. I've been on that site and read a lot of stuff. But the more i read the more questions i get.LOL
So youwork in cardio eh? You don't know anyone who works in the labs?Or who knows someone who knows someone? Wht hospital is it? I wish there could be some techs that could answer some of my questions on these forums! Anyways, if you have any other info regarding these 2 subjects, please let me know.
Tamara
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alzo
Ok maybe time to switch the topic around to '

what do you'll miss about canada'. I know I'll miss my timmy's coffee
We've survived so far without the Tim's...

What I miss...longer shopping hours...I was explaining to the cashier at Woolies that my local Safeway back home was open until 10pm weeknights. She couldn't believe it. What else? Cheap car registration--back in Canada it was about $120 a year instead of the $400 here. Lack of redbacks (ha ha--just found our first one in the garage yesterday).

Food-wise...not much really...regular Cheerios for the kids (the ones here seem to have some sort of glaze on them). Frank's Red Hot Sauce--the local hot sauces here aren't the same. But there's enough positives here to make up for the cereal and hot sauce deficiencies. LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.